1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Shane Battier become an 18-8 guy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by underoverup, Jul 14, 2006.

1. underoverup

underoverup Member

Shane's PPG numbers have declined since his rookie year when he averaged 14.4 points. can he increase his numbers from the last few years or is he in slow decline? are his average numbers a product of the offense in memphis?

is he a guy that can step up and become a legit 3rd option in jvg's system?

i believe his numbers will see an increase, but not all that much.

thanks for your comments.

:)

2. docgundy

docgundy Member

I'd say 15-8 is more realistic.

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

do we even need 18 and 8 from him? I'd be thrilled with 13 and 7 if it's coming from a guy who contributes in as many ways as they say Battier does.

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

In games where we are missing Yao or McGrady, Shane is a far better candidate to chip in 20 point games than anyone else on the roster. Juwan and Rafer can do it, but they have to play above their heads and take an inefficient number of shots. Shane can do so competently. As a #3 scorer and filling the role as our primary man defender, he's likely to be a 14-7 guy for the season.

Evan

5. Russell2000

Russell2000 Member

People tend to be over optimistic on new commodities...

Remember the predictions when Swift came over?

At this point, I won't expect to see in Rockets Shane does anything better than his days in Memphis, stats-wise. Hopefully he is solid and dependable. We will see.

Let's drop the stats discussion for now. Leave it to our stats guy.

6. anitasri

anitasri Member

Why are we so obsessed with stats? The stuff I look from Shane with a high degree of dependability is- High IQ basketball, the killer 3 pointer or the crucial steal or that momentum changing charge.

In some ways I feel that we are understimating Shane

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I think Battier's numbers went down after his rookie year in Memphis because that team had so many other scoring options and Hubie Brown believed in having a lot of people share in the scoring. Those Memphis teams were pretty deep.

8. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

Sounds about right. He will get so many more open looks here averaging 15 should be fairly easy. I'd say 7-8 boards is about right as well.

9. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Shane Battier is a good, solid player -- a welcome addition to the team. His ability to contribute has never been questioned by any reasonable fan. The angst over his acquisition has come purely from the absurd price tag. Shane is on our team now. Let's not burden him with unrealistic expectations.

10. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

I do not expect him to become this team's Otis Thorpe, but we are so thin at the 4 and scoring in general after Yao and Tracy that I would expect an increase in scoring from BAttier. He should find his muse in our weak depth and Juwan's age and decline....

Battier should become a very consistent scorer on this team.

It is my hope that BAttier will be a bright spot on this weak team

11. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

12/7 is a realistic estimation. Not 18/8, he won't get that many fg attempts.

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Howard will be the third option because he is the only other rocket that can create his own shot.

Battier cannot create his own shot and he is there to play off of Yao and Tmac. His job is hit those wide open jumpers Ryan Bowen and JHO miss and attack the basket when the defense over commits.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think Shane will average around 12-14ppg, and 6-7 rebounds.

DD

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

Whether Battier has 18 ppg potential depends purely on his ability to create his own shot. There's no way he can score that much(maybe 15 ppg at most) from just feeding off of Yao/T-Mac. But from his career trend, it seems Battier is more content to do the dirty work rather than assert himself as a serious offensive threat.

15. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I can see his shots coming up so maybe he'll average 2 more pts a game. But how come you guys are thinking his rebounds will increase by 3? I don't see it.

16. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

NO he cannot.

17. underoverup

underoverup Member

this is a reason i was thinking we will see some sort of increase in production next season. we just aren't as deep as memphis, but we have two big time stars in place. i just can't imagine shane hanging around at 10-5 next year.

18. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Well considering he was a 10-5 guy last season and now he is going to a team that is not particularly well-known for their offensive play, it is highly unlikely that he would jump to 18-8.

19. been_exed

been_exed Member

if u mean by throwing 15 really flat hooks a night, or 10 really short jump shots. then yah he can create his own shots.

20. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I'm with you and I'd even think it will be the low end of this range. Something like 12.5 and 6.5. Still, if that's on a good shooting percentage with nice defense, I'll take it in a heartbeat.