1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey on 790 and 610 to talk about Chandler Parsons leaving

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rock3t Man, Jul 14, 2014.

1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Good, I hope they cancel their season tickets.

2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

It's not about emotion. I am okay with DM not matching Parsons at the max. I definitely don't believe Parsons is worth the max and we definitely have a very good replacement. The problem is that we didn't have to get to this point in the first place; Parsons and Daniels should have stayed on their deals and the Rockets should have worked with what they got.

Please give me scenarios of when good teams let players out of their cheap deals in order to pursue some crazy dream. I am glad this organization wants to bring elite talent to this team, but not every championship team requires three stars/elite players. It does require to build a damn team around their elite talent. If you luck into elite talent, GREAT! but don't gamble when we are so close to actually contending.

3. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Anybody want an autographed CP hat?

4. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

The only reason morey is not a hero right now is bc the best players in the league from 2003 draft are more concerned with raking up cash, not rings (or legacy-pr moves.ie ,'Bron). Did bosh not learn anything from his spur-azz whooping? Discounted talent can do great things.

That is beyond his control.

Also, D12 and CP have same agent. D12 coming to houston had a gentleman's agreement of letting Parsons test the market. Cuban overpaid and we went to plan B. shhhh. it happens

#204 Tfor3, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  5. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

If Morey had no intention of matching WHATEVER contract that Parsons got offered, then he SHOULD NOT have made him a RFA. It's that simple.

You don't gamble when you don't have to. If Parsons wanted to be here, next year when he was to hit UFA, you just offer him the max before anyone else can talk to him with your own contract terms. Then if Parsons would have looked for a better contract with other terms, you know he didn't want to be here because you have already offered him max money. The team this year would be in a much better position.

Keeping Parsons on his contract would not have held up any pursuit of any star this year. If we would have gotten another star, and possibly won the championship or at least gotten very close, would Parsons have left if we offered him the max next year as an UFA?

Maybe I'm missing something, but no matter how you look at it, it seems that Morey made a bad gamble. No one is perfect, everyone makes mistakes.

But don't try to tell or sell me that you just made the team better without admitting that you made a huge blunder.

1 person likes this.
  6. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

Might have not been gambling at all. He might have wanted Ariza or Deng with Bosh all along. Paying Parsons all that money goes against the moneyball theory. Its a HUGE stretch but....if Ariza plays like he did last year and brings his D....then its an upgrade. That itself is another gamble

7. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

Im saying all of this and i forget Morey was also willing to pay Asik and Lin the same for a season

8. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

i just figured out why no one is coming to Houston. All the big names have agreed not to come to Hou bc they know that all we are is a talent warehouse for the league. Keep us down as fake-contenders and first round fodder- then all of our talent will look for ways to leave H - town.

#208 Tfor3, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He admitted he would have kept Parsons with Bosh.

10. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

Morey will not admit this but hearing between the lines here. There was a promise to be fulfilled here and he thought there was reasonable chance for home run with 3rd star and that the market will not go nuts. He whiffed and CP is a max player on a poison contract.

He lost the gamble. Can't blame for trying.

Will blame for failing. Someone gots to be fall guy and if the team doesn't get at least pass 1st round either the coach or heck even the G&M may hit the road.

11. FANfrom86toNow

But if he wasn't gambling, he could have just kept him for 900+k, still added Ariza's contract, and then just let him walk next summer as an UFA. He would still be a great tradeable asset this year at 900K.

12. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Is there a link to the interview yet?

13. FANfrom86toNow

I don't have the link, although it's been posted.

But just go to the 610 website and you will find the link there. I listened to it earlier.

14. ralphacy

ralphacy Member

I have an autographed Lin and Parsons hat lol

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If Morey is going to rely on players taking discounts then this will never work. Fortunately I don't think that's the case.

16. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Not a thread worthy article, but nice tidbits. And good point about Maury being an open GM. Anyhoo:

http://houseofhouston.com/2014/07/1...h-weekend-plus-much-more-in-latest-interview/

Houston Rockets GM Daryl Morey spoke to Adam Clanton and Raheel Ramzanali on SportsTalk790 and admitted that this past weekend was a tough weekend but says the Rockets are still well positioned and they are only going to get better.

What else did he have to say? Here are some nuggets.

Morey basically admitted that it looked “extremely likely” that Chris Bosh was headed to the Rockets. At the time, the Rockets had the offer for Jeremy Lin on the table, and the Lakers needed an answer right away since they had other deals they wanted to make so the Rockets decided to take it, even though they didn’t have a 100 percent commitment from Bosh.

Morey went on to say the Rockets all but had Bosh until the Heat put all five years and offered him a complete max deal.

You need three stars to win in the NBA.

Still have a top four team in the Western Conference, even without Parsons.

More likely to add a third star via a trade more than free agency. “We’re going to keep swinging.”
    Felt that turning down Parsons’ offer sheet gave the Rockets a better chance at winning a championship than keeping the core of James Harden, Dwight Howard, and Parsons.

Very happy for Parsons. Worked really hard for it, deserves it. Great person and player.

“The contract Parsons got – and the Mavericks are a smart organization, they obviously wanted to get him – that structure like that, is literally one of the most untradeable structures I’ve ever seen.”

Harden/Howard/Parsons HAD to be the core for the next few years if they matched Parsons. Felt that Harden/Howard/Ariza + “100 other potential moves” was a better option for the future.

Rockets believe in Ariza. Last time was unfortunate once they had to break up the Yao Ming/Tracy McGrady core. They always liked him.

Ariza is a perfect fit next to Harden with his perimeter defense and shooting, calling Ariza an “elite” defender.

Really thought Bosh/Parsons thing was going to happen and would have been favorites for NBA title.

“We always play out every scenario…always talk to every free agent.”

Says “by the time we get to the playoffs next season, we will be a better team than we were last season.”

Have TPE and guaranteed lottery pick, MLE, other exceptions to make more moves.

“If you want to win the title, you have to find the Chandler Parsons, not be the team that pays Chandler Parsons the max contracts.”

The Spurs have found the Chandler Parsons and have continually found other guys to put around them. They aren’t the team that chases big time numbers guys.

I encourage all Rockets fans to listen to the full interview.

Morey did what many other GM’s wouldn’t do and explained his reasoning to the public. He’s one of the most open GM’s in the NBA and admitted that the team swung for the fences but missed on his plan A this offseason.

I think any NBA fan would take a GM like Morey who stays aggressive at all times and has plan A-Z lined up whenever needed.

It was not the weekend Morey and the Rockets were expecting, but you can bet they will rebound and continue to build the Rockets into a championship contender.

17. nickg

nickg Member

Really don't think it's much of an upgrade. Sure, he defends better, but they literally have no one outside of harden who can create a shot for themselves, let alone anyone else. Still don't have a pg or a pf either.

****, I enjoyed watching ariza dribble the ball off of his shins for a year as much as any of you, but trying to spin this as an upgrade is, like you said, a huge stretch.

Saves money though.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Interesting tidbit-

I found it interesting that even though Morey himself said that Bosh screwed the Rockets (Morey said on the radio that they were given a 99% from CAA), Morey and CAA reps have come out and given each other praise in the media for their professionalism, etc.

It almost seems like they are going out of their way to maintain that relationship.

One little thing to keep in mind- CAA represents quite a few different stars in this league. I wouldn't be shocked at all if CAA folks told Morey that they will make this up to him in the future if they have the ability to get one of their players into that 3rd star slot.

There is one star that they represent that I can guarantee you Morey has an interest in for the future.

Just food for thought. Don't think for an instant that how Morey was professional and handled the relationship (which by all means SHOULD HAVE been contentious) wont help the Rockets out in the future. Maybe not with that one particular star (you know the one who was in that Thunderstruck movie), but with another player they rep or a future deal they facilitate to help the Rockets. There are alot of hot headed GM's & owners in the league who wouldn't have gone that route. I know I would have had a hard time holding back myself if I was in that position.

Anyways... small bit of positive to think about.

19. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

No, you don't need 3 stars to win. What is it going to take for Morey and Les to divorce themselves from this mindset? Dallas won in 2011 with only one true star in Dirk. The Lakers had 2 with Shaq and Kobe and then Kobe and Pau. The Pistons had no stars in 2004. The Heat in 2006 had Wade and an aging Shaq. You could even argue the 2014 Spurs only had 2 true stars in Parker and Duncan, both of whom are aging(Manu and Kawhi are very good, borderline All-Star players, but not actual stars).

The only teams to win recently with a Big Three are Boston and Miami. And they only account for 3 titles. That means most of the recent NBA champions did it with 2 or less.

And we are not still a top 4 team in the West. Maybe if Morey makes a few more moves between now and the trade deadline, but he's got a lot of work to do if he wants to keep this team at a 54 win level going into next season. Unless by some miracle T-Jones turns into a stud at the 4, Harden decides to play defense, Ariza duplicates his production from last year, and all our draft picks pan out.