1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Breaking News] first US case of Zika virus reported in Texas

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Feb 2, 2016.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Since you might not be kidding: I was kidding. There is no way a mosquito can bite you and then a virus makes your adult head smaller.

For a developing fetus, however, it's a different story, the CDC and others believe. Looks like the virus can really mess up normal cephalic (head) development.

But by you being serious, you are impeding people photoshopping the Mavs with tiny heads, which is what I really want to see here.

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Sorry I misunderstood what exactly microcephaly meant, I was just looking it up for the first time earlier. I got some of the results mixed up with the Zika virus symptoms. I didn't know it literally meant small head, I thought it was a disease that caused a brain disorder. I was wondering if an adult were to get Zika virus, if they would develop some sort of brain damage due to inflammation or deterioration through something else. Sorry for the confusion.

3. mick fry

mick fry Member

Zika aint bad on ice.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

[​IMG]

5. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Phew. That was a close one.

6. GIGO

GIGO Member

but trolli can

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_PfKvhwB3KU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

So now reporters are following hospital intake records like they used to police scanners.

8. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Anyone keeping up with this? It's a....not great. Looks like Zika is going to be the next hot STD. Men will be asked to refrain from sex without a condom for 6 months. I don't think there has been explicit clarification on how likely it is to transmit orally. I assume it would submit anally.

Brazil should address Zika virus as an STD outbreak, researchers say
    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/mar/28/zika-virus-brazil-std-who-cdc-aids-hiv

Parts of Florida, Texas face greatest risk for Zika virus
    "Miami; Houston; and Orlando, Florida, were among the cities having both high potential for A. aegypti abundance and large volumes of passengers from those areas under CDC travel advisory, they wrote."

http://www.healio.com/infectious-di...orida-texas-face-greatest-risk-for-zika-virus

CDC Report 03/28/16
    http://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2016/s0325-zika-virus-recommendations.html

#28 Brando2101, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2016