1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Rocket player(s) would you trade for LeBron James?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DavidS, May 25, 2003.

1. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

1)Francis traded!
    2)Mobley traded!
    3)Griffin traded!

All to Cleveland for their #1 pick, LeBron.

Would you do it?

LeBron James and Yao Ming playing together on the Rockets? What do you think?

#1 DavidS, May 25, 2003
    Last edited: May 25, 2003
  2. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

People on this BBS underrate Francis. I still believe that with the right coaching, he can be right up there with Kobe and TMac.

If LeBron is as good as Francis, then we'll talk. Right now, I'm not sure what kind of impact LeBron will have when he comes in. He might just have to sit the bench the first year as an adjustment period.

3. Fatty FatBastard

I'd take T-Mac or Kobe over Lebron. He hasn't proven himself yet. Is he likely a superstar? Of course, but I'm not yet willing to trade every player on my team for him.

The only player that I would trade everyone but Yao is KG.

4. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I'd do it. Lebron is a special player. Yao is a special player. It will be chamionship after championship once they both hit their prime. Not to mention that this would be the most popular team of all time. Lebron= money machine Yao = money machine
    Les would do it in a hearbeat....................but Cleveland trading a 18 year old homegrown phenom not to mention that theyre are already selling tickets off the hook since the lottery...I say theres a better chance at landing KG in houston than lebron

5. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

absolutely NO! This kid is way overhyped. It is just ridiculous that Nike gives him a 90 mil endorsement. Small guys, especially out of high school, spend years to get used to NBA. It even took MJ and Kobe a few years to get dominating. Last year, J. Williams was considered ready to contribute right away, but turned out to be not at all. I am not saying Lebron James is not good, but he may turn out to be so so for quite a few years. Rox need veterans, not potentials now. Keep SF if he can't be packaged to get Kidd or KG.

6. DavidS

If all LeBron did was score, I'd agree. But because he can pass, that changes everything.

LeBron will redefine the meaning of the "scoring point guard."

That's something that Penny Hardaway had a chance to do, but that plan was cut short due to injuries.

#6 DavidS, May 25, 2003
  7. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

LeBron is anything but small. He's 6 ft 8, 230-235 lbs. He's as physically ready as any HS player EVER.

8. OUTITAN

OUTITAN Member

As far as LaBron being over hiped that is the one thing that i've not heard anybody in the game itself say. No coach, scout or even a news guy has watched this kid play and said, "Nah, he's good but he'll have a tought time in the NBA." I don't get the impression he is over hyped as far as the impact he'll make on the team he winds up with. He has the total game physically. He'll have to grow up very fast (all the tourmoil this last year will have accelerated that process) and he won't be playing for the money, Nike has already taken care of that.

I don't think we could get him for anything less than steve and yao and maybe even a couple of 1st round picks in the future. He's just worth too much money to a franchise, much like Steve his first year and Yao this last season. I woundn't trade everything we've got going for us for one player. Besides, if he doesn't pan out immediately he'll be getting booed by our oh so patient fans and we'll go through a couple coaches because we didn't win it all the year we got rid of rudy. We would end up looking like the T-wolves with KG...

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

This is the better question, who would Cleveland take for Lebron? Realistically, I can only name about 3 players that Cleveland would trade Lebron for considering his age. Kobe,McGrady, and maybe Garnett or Duncan. Those are the only players that can bring people to Gund arena and will still be really good 6 yrs from now. McGrady and Kobe are 5 yrs older than Lebron and Garnett and Duncan are 8 yrs,but 27 yrs old. Besides that, I can't think of anyone they would trade lebron for period.

10. canoner2002

So what? MJ and Kobe were as ready as anyone and they were not much smaller.

11. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

well said!!! but i wouldnt trade anyone for lebron, yet. he hasnt proven himself to be traded like that. ill give him this season to see what he's capable of and if his the "king" or lebust..

12. DavidS

Kobe was not ready (7.6 ppg at .417% fgp). He was the air-ball master his first two years.

Uh, Jordan had three years of college, entered the NBA and averaged 28.2 points per game at a .515% field goal percentage!!!:eek:

Besides, it seems like you contradicting yourself by saying they were "dominating" and that LeBron will not be.

Anyways, LeBron is ready.

#12 DavidS, May 25, 2003
  13. rocketsball2003

i would rather trade for the #2 pick and get milicic. put him at PF and that way we will have another twin towers. maybe trade griff and mobley and rice or something like that... like it will ever happen.

14. GB_Rocket

GB_Rocket Contributing Member

So the general consensus here is that Francis has too big of an ego compared to what he has actually achieved.

So we cure that by trading for an unproven high school kid who already goes around calling himself King James.

More brilliant thinking.

15. canoner2002

Maybe I did not explain the logic clearly. Here is another try: before entering NBA, both MJ and Kobe seemed ready, but they did not turn out to be dominating right away. It took them years to get there and win rings. They became dominating, but not right away. I will bet on that Lebron will not win a ring with his first team in his 4-year contract.

This Lebron kid is being hyped like a god. As ready as he seems to be, I don't believe he will come in the change everything. Even MJ did not do that. Look at the talents on guard position today, Lebron will face more competition than MJ did in his early years.

Read the posts in this thread. trade SF and Yao and two first round picks for this kid? or Dunkon for him? When MJ first entered NBA, would anybody trade two all-star starters plus two first round picks for MJ? or two times MVP for a rookie? ever in the NBA history? You got to be insane to propose such trades? No rookie deserves this kind of treatment.

16. Newgirl

Newgirl Member

Cleveland would never trade Lebron. Period. They are already selling out their arena. Which Rocket can do that for them? NBA is a business. Who would dare trade such a money machine?

17. Bob

Bob Member

I would rather go after the number 3 pick - Carmello Anthony. This kid has a great attitude and the skills to end up being better than James.

If you look at the Nuggets roster 8 of their top 9 performers are forwards. They don't have any guards or a center.

18. rodman-the-boss

I'd love to have James, but Cleveland won't give him away, unless we give them too much (I don't think giving Francis away would be a good thing)

19. rodman-the-boss

He's already got a $ 90 million contract whith Nike though he's just in High school !!:rolleyes:

20. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Why would you trade an All Star, Superstar player like Francis for a player who hasn't proven a damn thing in the NBA. Lebron might become the biggest bust of all time. IMO Carmelo Anthony and T.J. Ford will be the 2 best players in the draft.