1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How about Myles Turner?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by slickricky, Mar 23, 2015.

1. slickricky

slickricky Contributing Member

I know he is a project and I know we have Capela but the kid has range and he is from Texas...

I haven't seen him play much but what do the Texas locals know about this kid?

he seems to have great size and his body looks like it can handle 15-20 lbs of muscle putting him at around 255

We always seem to pass on local talent the comes back to haunt us

Rashard Lewis and DJ just to name a few...

in Dwights final years and with Hakeem at the helm i see this kid blossoming into something special...

Imagine 2 years down the road

Turner
    TJones
    Durant
    Harden
    ????

I really believe Morey will give this kid a lot of thought

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Unless he breaks his leg between now and the draft there's no way he'll be available for us.

3. Bob Barker 007

Absolutely positively 100% no way that the Rockets should draft him . He has no identity - he can't decide if he wants to play more like Durant or Aldridge - and thus is less skilled than either player. He struggles guarding the pick and roll, and he cannot post up because he has no leg strength. He is a good shot blocker, but he spends too much time trying to make the flashy block rather than just staying in front of his man. If he wants to be like Durant, he would have to learn to handle the ball, beat defenders, and rebound. If he wants to be like Aldridge, he has to gain more strength, learn to rebound, and learn to defend big men properly. I don't see that happening for several years, and I don't think the Rockets should waste their pick on him.

4. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

His potential is LA. Very similar measurements, similar build, game, etc. Come on now we should definitely draft him if he's available at 13 or 14.

5. NBAphenom

NBAphenom Member

Myles Turner Full Highlights 1.24.2015 Vs. Kansas 8 Pts, 8 Rebs, 5 BLOCKS

[youtube]iSh3Hnq4wC8[/youtube]

6. TMac&Cheese

TMac&Cheese Rookie

Hasn't shown enough development to be worth the pick and help now. Still too raw. Should have gone to play for Larry Brown.

7. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I am a big UT fan, but missed the Kansas game. Turner looked much better at that game than in most of the games. He could be a good pick at 14 for and he might fall that far due to his poor season overall at UT-- especially against any of the better teams they played. Overal an extreme disappointment at UT.

Turner is nothing else, physically very raw, but he could be an intriguing best pick available type pick. At best he might be able to get a few minutes as a shot blocker in the first year or two.

A perfect candidate for a D-League year or another year at UT, in which case we won't ever get him unless Harden and Dwight both are out for the year.

8. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

No brainer if he falls to us.

9. Airdough

Airdough Member

Could he fall to the 2nd round? If a bunch of teams view him as a project, they may not wat to pay guranteed money for a surefire D-Leaguer.

10. Nook

Nook Member

He would have to do very poorly in workouts to slip to the second round. I know a lot of mock drafts still have him in the lottery but it feels more like a Chris Taft situation where he was never as good as advertised.

11. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

Needs to work on strength. He can't establish post position to save his life. If he couldn't do it in college, he'll really struggle with it in the NBA. Great touch from the midrange, and when he does get established in the post, he has one of the quickest turnaround jumpers I've seen. Great help defender, but lack of strength hurts his ability to defend his man in the post straight up. Easily gets lost in the game and sometimes you forget he's even playing. If he were to get picked up by an NBA team with a great system of X's and O's, he could really benefit. He needs to work on what to do when he doesn't have the ball. He's very skilled when he has the ball, he just needs to learn how to become dominant.

One thing about him though that's personal. I'm in the same class as him at UT, and he lives a building away. I'm friends with someone who's friends with him, and I've been able to talk to Myles a couple of times. He's a truly great guy. Not cocky, not a trouble maker, and down to Earth. He's confident, as he should be, but to the point he has a blown up ego. Seemed passionate about playing and seemed willing to put in the effort to really make it in the NBA.

Sadly enough for him, he suffered at UT. Rick Barnes had one of the worst coaching season I've personally ever seen. Don't complain about McHale, because Barnes was a sad excuse for a coach. Myles got caught up in it, and he suffered in his development and I feel really bad for the guy. Regardless, he should be fine. I doubt he falls to Houston, but if he does, I think we should grab him. If we get Llull, we'll most likely lose out on Smith, so frontcourt depth would be nice.

1 person likes this.
  12. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

fixed

13. NBAphenom

NBAphenom Member

[Video] Myles Turner 2015 NBA Draft Scouting Video

Myles Turner 2015 NBA Draft Scouting Video

[YOUTUBE]17KsSrm95wQ[/YOUTUBE]

14. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Official now that he's going into the draft...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Thank you <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/longhornnation?src=hash">#longhornnation</a> it's been real!
    <a href="https://t.co/s9ltQhtXvv">https://t.co/s9ltQhtXvv</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/hookemforever?src=hash">#hookemforever</a></p>&mdash; Myles Turner (@Original_Turner) <a href="https://twitter.com/Original_Turner/status/582528510645813248">March 30, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

15. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

This kid needs another year at least. Has some skills but needs to be under a better coaching. He will still get drafted because he can chew bubble gum and walk at the same time. I think he is hurting his earning potential by coming out early. I think his ceiling is Rashard Lewis his low side Hassan Whiteside, I can see him developing a 3 point shot and becoming a awkward stretch 4 or I can see him beefing up and working on his foot work and becoming a hardworking niche guy.

#15 ballplayer, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  16. Bob Barker 007

I fully agree with your assessment of Turner's post moves. They are nonexistent and resulted in many turnovers for UT when the ball was thrown in to him.

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he's should stay another year to develop his skills, but he'd rather be a millionaire.

18. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

Shortsighted. If he stayed another year, developed skills, got bigger, then he could eventually earn tens of millions. He may never reach that point now. Wish we could fix this issue.

19. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Wish he would have stayed as well but this is pretty extreme. The kid is 19 years old and will continue to develop and get bigger. Another year in college would have helped of course but can't say he will never reach a certain point.

Turner is projected to go in the Top 10 and that you'd be hardpressed to find anyone that would turn that down. Guys like Isiah Taylor and Myck Kabongo are a different story on the other hand...

20. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

You can play in the NBDL and still be a millionaire