1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

Hakeem's retirement ceremony was horrible!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by costashater2, Nov 13, 2002.

1. costashater2

costashater2 Member

Let me start off by saying the ceremony was a joke, First off Hakeem should have had his own seperate night becaue a halftime is not long enough.

Second the ceremony was rushed! What a lack of respect to Hakeem then whole thing was rushed what a disgrace... Gene Petersons first words were we do not have long so we will be short about it this.. Damn come on this Hakeem Olajuwon we are talking about here not some average joe.

Third why were only a few speakers allowed to talk Rodney Mccray should have said a few words, Allen Leavel a few words and other players such as Ralph Sampson and Otis Thorpe should have been specifially invited to say a few words. It was just a pathetic ceremony with Rudy T freaking out on the mic as if he was having a nervous breakdown or something.

When you look back at the Clyde Drexler ceremony it was 10 times better than Hakeem's... Clyde's had DR J, Buck Williams, Kiki Vandewege to speak about him. THe whole thing just mad me mad as can be and the Rockets organization are to blame it was a very cheesy ceremony and it could have been done 10 times better. I would like to hear everyone's opinion about this bogus ceremony.

2. mav3434

mav3434 Member

:confused:
    you mean there's a costashater1 running around out there?

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

What a sour puss you are. :(

I think Michael Cage, Billy Paultz and Roy Tarpley should have been able to speak too.

4. zilches

zilches Member

I'd have thrown in a foreign policy debate between Noam Chomsky and Colin Powell just to ease the gravity of the ceremony. :D

5. Lobo

Lobo Contributing Member

Personally, I think David Robinson should have been there to hand over the 1995 MVP trophy.

6. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

Hakeem has never been one to enjoy all the praise. If it were up to him, he probably never would have had a ceremony.

7. Holden

Holden Member

rudy did seem like he was on something when he gave his speech...

but clyde was there..and the crowd cheered every other sentence...chanted MVP at one point...

and hakeem never stopped smiling...

he seemed to enjoy it..

it was a good ceremony...

8. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

I saw it on t.v. and from those angles I could see Hakeem was smiling alot and bowing his head in humility, truely greatful for the night. You should have seen the suprised look on his face when Rudy announced he was gonna get a statue. He was "WOW"! I thought it was pretty long though for a half-time too. Maybe actually being at the game made the time seem to go by quicker, I dunno? I was wondering if it was odd having his retired jersey sideways in the Compaq, know what I mean?
    Helluva game to be at though!
    Anyhow, too late now:);)

9. Lobo

Lobo Contributing Member

I didn't see the whole ceremony, just the highlights they broadcast at halftime of last night's game. Rudy just seemed excited and trying to get the crowd pumped up too. I didn't think it was that weird, although CD and Les took a very different approach to their speeches.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I thought this dude has been banned.

Let me say it one more time: costashater2 is rockets hater 2. Get it? TROLL!

11. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Contributing Member

Outstanding and funny stuff!:D

I thought it was pretty good and Hakeem seemed very pleased with everything that went on. Rudy was awesome! His demeanor only made what he said seem genuinely heartfelt. Clyde was great. The only thing that could've been better was if Les had relaxed a little and not read a prepared speech. What he said was fine,he just seemed very uptight and robotic. And I must admit when they raised the jersey to Tina's "Simply The Best",it was hard to choke 'em back by that time Rocket brothers. Even swallowing was hard.:( :)

12. SCOOTER T.

SCOOTER T. Contributing Member

Now it’s Toronto turn to throw Hakeem a big retirement sends off. Maybe they can top Houston’s halftime show. They can bring out a couple of Maple Leaf Hockey player and tell how much Hakeem meant to them. Or have Raptor management tell how Hakeem ripped them off. Thanks Toronto for the extra draft pick.

13. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

One question: Kenny was there- why didn't he speak?

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

My guess is time. They only had about 20 mins to do this and I think it went over that time by at least 2-5 minutes. I was watching the countdown clock and I know it was stopped at 3 minutes or so for a while.

15. BSW

BSW Contributing Member

No matter how it was done I am sure there would have been some unhappy fans.

I am sure Rudy was a little choked up after everything that he went through with Hakeem during his career and then with the "fall out" they had through the media when the Rockets tried to resign him.

I think what the Rockets did was classy. They didn't HAVE to honor him with a statue in front of the new arena or anything like that. I am glad they decided to and think it is very well deserved.

On the aspects of the length of the ceremony. When did you want them to have it? If they would have had it before the game, less people would have been there and if they would have had it at the end the not so true basketball / Hakeem fans would have been walking out the doors.

I am interested in hearing what you would have done different and how.

16. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

The last retirement ceremony they had, they were fined by the league a BUNCH of money because they ran long. I'm sure there were some pretty specific instructions to avoid that.

17. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

I thought Rudy was very sincere .. I got choked up listening and I could tell Hakeem was touched by what he was saying...Dream had a huge smile on his face the entire time..I thought it was great.

18. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

that it was...:cool:

19. nineteen

nineteen Member

Holden,

Good observation. Rudy is always on something.

20. montgo

montgo Contributing Member

Costa:

First, let me say that there are better things to b$%ch about.

Hakeem was very appreciative and the fact that when the statue goes up (which is larger than what Clyde got from the Blazers--how many players have this in the league?), there will be another retirement ceremony of sorts, only made the ceremony that much better.

I agree about having a couple others speak, like McCray or Levell would have been nice, but it was not a horrible ceremony by any stretch. It was simple, Hakeem was deeply touched and it was very sincere!

Chillout dude...