1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

British theme park cancels Muslim Fun Day

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by A-Train, Aug 3, 2006.

1. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I tell ya, banning music, gambling, and drinking sure sounds like a lot of fun to me. Let's see how many posts this takes to get moved to D&D...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060802....2eR.GRQ_ntiBIF;_ylu=X3oDMTA0cDJlYmhvBHNlYwM-

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's biggest theme park has called off the country's first "National Muslim Fun Day" because of lack of interest, the park said Wednesday.

Alton Towers in central England was to open on September 17 for Muslims -- with halal food, a strict dress code and prayer areas.

Music, gambling and alcohol were to be banned for the day and theme park rides such as "Ripsaw," "Corkscrew" and "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" all segregated by sex.

But the park said the event's organizers, Islamic Leisure, who rented the park for the day and were marketing the event, had called it off due to "insufficient ticket sales."

"Alton Towers is disappointed that the planned Family Fun Day Sunday 17th September has had to be canceled," the park said in a statement. A park spokeswoman said Islamic Leisure would refund those who bought tickets.

Islamic Leisure's phones were not being answered on Wednesday.

Organizers had hoped to fill a niche for Britain's 1.7 million Muslims, some of whom may be uncomfortable with mainstream entertainment.

But the fun day had caused some consternation: a non-Muslim couple scheduled to hold their wedding at the park's hotel complained to newspapers that event organizers told them the bride and female guests would have to cover up.

The park promised the party would be exempt from the rules. A park spokeswoman said the wedding would take place as planned.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

you're not their target market A-Train. doesn't sound like fun to me, either. but it's not aimed at me.

3. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Obviously it doesn't sound like fun to anyone since no one bought tickets.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yeah, i have no idea of the demographics there other than the general 1.7 million number thrown in there. but doesn't sound like the best plan for an amusement park, anyway.

5. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Come on, Max! Muslims just want to have fun!!

I'm pretty sure even the most die hard Muslim would down a beer and listen to some Beatles for just one day.

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

"WHAT? How can you cancel that? That's preposterous!" [click!]
    I just got a call from Six Flags letting us know that Fiesta Texas also cancelled MEXICAN day. :mad: WTF?

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm not sure gambling and alcohol are all that important to theme park fun anyway. I'm not sure why they banned music (does Islam have something against music?), but its absence isn't really a deal killer. Everyone can still ride the rides. Cotton candy is probably okay for Muslims to eat. The only killer is segregating the sexes -- I thought people went to theme parks to meet girls -- but Muslims put up with that all the time anyway. So, it seems like a moderate amount of fun to me.

8. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

In Texas, isn't every day Mexican day? If not, then someone needs to take down all these spanish signs, spanish radio stations and other assorted crap.

9. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Are you crazy? There is nothing like doing multiple tequila shots before getting on the Looping Starship etc.