1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which hockey team should I follow?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by SleepyRodriguez, Apr 13, 2016.

1. SleepyRodriguez

I want to start watching hockey but I am unsure as to what team to follow. For the record, I am completely oblivious to hockey other than knowing that Gretzky was one of the greatest athletes of any sport --like ever. I still don't get the offsides and icing penalties but I want to learn. Again, I am not too sure which team I should follow. I don't want to start following the NY YANKEES equivalent of hockey and I'd rather throw myself off a building before I start rooting for the Dallas Stars. So being a naive hockey "fan" novice...I'd like to know who ya'll root for and why so I can figure out which team I should dedicate my allegiance to.

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Don't be a Stars fan.

I grew up in the 90s as a Pittsburgh fan because everyone knew Wayne Gretzky and the Kings, so I was a Lemieux guy and a Pens fan.

During the mid to late 90s, I ended up being a Red Wings honk. Colorado knocked them out, so I rooted for the Red Wings to get them back next year.

Chicago is pretty popular.

I don't watch a lot of hockey these days. One of these years, I will be back on board. Wish we had a team.

3. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Blackhawks.

4. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Me and a friend of mine started watching hockey a few years back and we both wanted to pick teams he picked the San Jose Sharks cause he was born in that area and I chose the Washington Capitals since the only hockey players I knew at the time were Crosby and Ovechkin and Crosby always seemed like a panzi.

And this year they are the team to beat... As a caps fan I would say give us a shot. We definitely aren't the NY Yankees of Hockey but this team is really good this year.

5. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Offsides happens when the puck is passed over the blue line into the scoring zone. The puck must be carried into the scoring zone and the puck carrier must be the first to cross.

Icing happens I believe when the puck is passed by one team across two lines in the direction opposite of their goalie... Again I think ahaha all I know is if your team chucks it to the other side of the rink and the other team touches it first the puck is dead and a face off happens on your side.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'd love to have a rooting interest. But difficult for me to care much about some team I just "pick" at this point in my life. Need a Houston team.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Islanders.

DD

8. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Just start betting on a team... It will be easy to root for them.

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Same. I have tried to adopt the Avs since I've lived here for a long time, but I just can't get into it. I can't just develop a rooting in a random team, but I also have a hard time getting into hockey in general

10. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

I'll continue to root Chicago, but you really should give the Stars a look. Some of the most entertaining hockey IMO, and relatively local -- if on the wrong side of the tracks.

The Minnesota all-my-exes-live-in-Texas series to start tonight in Dallas.

11. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member