1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

But they didn't have Peyton

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Cohete Rojo, Sep 12, 2011.

?

Am I right?

1. Yes - the tale of two halves (0 2nd half points)

30 vote(s)
    25.4%
  2. No - Peyton would have been shaking in his boots

88 vote(s)
    74.6%
  1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Eough said. The Kerry Collins Colts win = the Rusty Smith Tennessee win.

1 person likes this.
  2. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

Not really, it doesn't have nearly the same feel that the Rusty Smith win did. This team ought to be a playoff-caliber team, and while they weren't tested in week 1... they will be in week 3. Hell, I don't take week 2 against Miami even for granted.

3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Peyton doesn't play special teams. Peyton doesn't play defense. One veteran on the O-line. Peyton would have been scrambling everywhere regardless.

4. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

We didn't have our NFL leading rusher... AND?

Not our fault they had no backup until they called Collins while skeet shooting during his retirement.

5. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

The Colts look like dog crap in every aspect of the game.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Peyton was always amazing at stopping those routes across the middle that we picked apart the Colts with yesterday. If he's out there playing safety, no way we win that one.

Also, I heard he wasn't in Japan the day of that massive earthquake. So there.

1 person likes this.
  7. meh

meh Contributing Member

Rather than keep harping on Peyton, it's simply more accurate to say that the Colts we beat is a horrible football team. They might become less horrible as the season goes on because of their offense being more in sync. But on Sunday, that was a bad football team we killed.

It doesn't say much about our team beyond the fact that we obviously don't suck. If we can go 2-1 in our next 3 games, even if we eek them out by 2 or 3 points, I'd be a lot more pumped than beating the Colts by 27.

8. conquistador#11

last year, you could have ligned up against the texans d and completed a pass!

9. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

If only they had Dunta Robinson out there - no way they get scorched.

10. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

But they didn't have Foster...

The Texans were playing without last years leader in rushing yards, total yards, touchdowns and first downs gained.

11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm glad Peyton Manning wasn't roaming the sidelines. If he was, we would have been too nervous to score 34 points, and Kareem Jackson would have been laying on the field much of the game, yielding probably 28 by himself.

Can't imagine what it would have been like if Peyton was actually playing, though.

12. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

I guess the question is, is Ben Tate closer to Foster than Collins is to Manning?

Answer: yes.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Lawls.

Kerry Collins, member of the 40,000 yard club.

vs.

Ben Tate, rookie coming off season ending injury playing in his first game.

1 person likes this.
  14. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

LOL.

I didn't know Ben Tate was a 38 year old retired football player up untill 2 weeks ago who had just arrived to a new team where he wasn't familiar with coaches and personnel. Not to mention replacing a GOAT.

I look at it this way: are the Texans really that good, or is everybody else just slipping?

15. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Yeah, but...

Peyton Manning, PEYTON freaking MANNING.

1 person likes this.
  16. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

That's how I looked at it, too. I can't tell. I expected to beat the Colts without Peyton Manning, but I didn't expect the unholy beatdown of the first half. I think the Texans kind of packed it in during the second half. The turnovers were worrisome, though.

I think the Texans are better than ever and the Colts are worse than ever... going in opposite directions. That creates a formula for curb-stomping. It's just difficult to tell how far in each direction both teams have gone.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Please. Should have swept Indy last year
    but Kubiak KUBIAKED up the second game

Rocket River

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, I think it's exactly the same as the tennessee win last year because we didn't make any changes during the offseason at all.

19. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree with most of the sentiment here. It is hard to judge whether the Texans were that good in the first half or the colts were that bad. I think it really was a little of both. The second half was pretty much mailed in, so we can't really go on that either. The offense went straight vanilla and the defense used a lot of different personnel. I was happy with the blow out, but the real test will come over the next 3-4 weeks. If they blow out Miami and handle the Saints then we can start talking about them being great. I'll reserve judgement until that time.

1 person likes this.
  20. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

There's no question if Peyton would have played it would have been closer, but how close?

I think the Texans still would have won, but it would've been an entire different ball game. Either way it doesn't matter, they won the game.