1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

My take on Mallett from today

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

III think I still feel exactly the same about Mallett as I did before the day started. I'm not sure if he can be the guy or not.

He threw the ball 50+ times behind a terrible line. He's got no running game to support him. He almost won the game with that considered.

I never figured him to be a world burner, thus if he throws 50 times plus, it's probably not a good sign. I'm very curious to see how he looks with a healthy Foster and line.

I think he did some good things today, but was also wildly inaccurste. Basically, he was who we thought he was. I think he'll get better, though.

Funny thing is, I don't think he was much worse than Cam, who I would consider an upper tier average quarterback, as far as accuracy goes.

I think Mallett can progress into about the same rank of quarterbacks where Cam fits into. Whether that isngood enough - I'm not sure.

Getting Foster back will go a long way into letting us see what he can be. I'm curious to see it.

Not saying that I am ready to skip a quarterback next year, but the kid threw over 50 passes in his third career start behind a lean-to of an offensive line. Let's see what he's got.

Its so frustrating watching him skip and overthrow passes, but some of those, his guys have to catch. He should have been around 60% today, in my opinion, which is not bad, considering the volume. The pick was bad, but I think he didn't see the guy. Also, he took only one sack(technically two), which is impressive.

Curious as to your take? I expect to hear a ton of bad things, to be honest.

#1 Two Sandwiches, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  2. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I think some of his skip passes were to protect his receiver from getting smashed...

Yes his accuracy is an issue, but the inability to get the guy in a consistent rhythm...falls a lot on the team not getting much from the running game.

3. justafriend

justafriend Member

Mostly agreed. I think the guy's a big long shot to make it, but that's how the QB position is. Half the league if not more will usually be grumbling about their QB situation. Cam is subpar as a passer, granted he's always had to deal with poor line play and thin receiving options, but his value (top 15-ish) comes from his rushing ability.

4. Major

Major Member

No, he didn't. At best, you could argue he almost tied the game.

Without the running/mobile aspect of his game, Cam is not remotely a good QB, though.

5. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

I can't take much away from today's game as he was constantly rushed due to a weakened OL. He overthrew a couple receivers, including Hop at the end, and seemed to get a couple calls wrong, completely missing Washington to tie the game with :30 left.

Overall I was pleased with his performance considering the weak OL and no run game. Missing some throws long isn't really an issue. It's missing them short, which is Hoyer's problem.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He wasn't good, that much isn't debateable, but the supporting cast was also terrible. Constant pressure, no running game, dropped passes. There really wasn't anything working for the offense today. We had no business even being in this game.

Never though too highly of Mallett, but have always thought his unknown qualities were still better than Hoyer's known mediocrity, don't feel any differently after this game. I think Mallett has the capability of being good if given time, which he wasn't today.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Dude just rears back and slings it too much. Very sense of touch or control.

At the very least, though, he's not Brian Hoyer. He gives us a better chance, but he will not be "the guy". Just a placeholder.

8. conquistador#11

he played well for the obstacles presented. Enough to win the game. 2tds 1 int.
    Still, some very raw mistakes made by him, like the grounding call. i guess it's first instinct to throw away the ball, but come on take the sack.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

My opinion hasn't changed: Ryan Mallet is just not accurate enough. Period.

If he was athletic and could consistently make plays with his legs, maybe he would be serviceable. Obviously the O-line and RB situation don't help.

10. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

My assssment remains exactly the same as last week when I posted these above.

It really doesn't matter if it's Hoyer or Mallett, it's just the sme old.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

My assessment remains the same, he's by far the best QB on the roster and could be good enough to win a lot of games, but he's not so good that he can overcome WR's not catching passes that hit them in the hands and a patchwork O line that doesn't block for RB's that don't get yardage and a defense that allows garbage offenses like the Panthers to score that many times.

12. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Offensive line is a major factor right now for any QB to pass behind...Mallet has the quickest release in the NFL and he was still uncomfortable...Foster is truly missed. He makes everyone look better and efficient including Mallet I'm banking on

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

My opinion of Mallet took an enormous hit today.

He has zero touch, major accuracy issues, and the biggest problem, rocks for brains.

Good QBs can at least stay afloat under less than ideal circumstances.

Mallet does not seem to be a good QB, and its a little late to think he can change his stripes.

I'm mentally ready to move on, but Mallet will get the chance to redeem himself many times over and if he turns it around I'll be happy to have my outlook reversed.

14. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Damn near 60 attempts. Left tackle out. Left guard out. Bandaid offensive line. No rushing attack.

Mallett did fine under the circumstances. The guy needs time to develop. He should look better next week. We need our guys back.

15. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Mallett will improve but it remains to be seen if he is this team's long term solution at QB which I doubt he is. I am more optimistic about Tom Savage than anything. I'm hoping this is the final straw for the Texans and for them to scout heavily for QB this year and draft a player who they can mold and groom into their long term plans. That way, it will come down to whether Savage or the New drafted QB is the solution. But I can guarantee everyone here that it won't be Mallett or Hoyer, who in my opinion are just another QB band aid

16. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Yea I think he only has two passes, a laser that's inaccurate as hell and the long ball . I'd still ride him through the rest of the season,for better or worse .

17. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

The Texans had so many holes overall. Their tight ends are seriously inconsistent. O-Line with Duane Brown is still mediocre at best. I was hoping Su a FILO would solve that issue but from the looks of it, he's not looking too good himself. Other than Hopkins, the other WR need to step up. They need to stop dropping passes. Both Tight Ends and WR needs work.

Plus the Texans need to fix those penalties issue. Johnathan Joseph made a huge incredibly stupid play that I think really cost us big. It lately resulted in a touchdown for Carolinas. It was 3rd and long and the pass protection kept shooting themselves in the foot with stupid careless penalties. Also, JJ watt was doubled team all day long. I like clowney and what he brings. But the rest of the guys need to put the pressure on so JJ would see less double teams. John Simon needs to make a freaking tackle!!!

18. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Ryan Mallett may be a better QB than Hoyer but Tom Savage will surpass Mallett very soon. Savage may not have the arm power but he is mobile, agile and his improvement from year 1 to year 2 is night and day. This may be Savage's team next year.

19. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Citing injuries as an excuse is weak. Every team has them. The Panthers were without 3 of their 10 best players.

I think if Mallett gets all the first team reps he should develop some chemistry with his receivers and things should get a little better.

#19 whag00, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I hope you're right, he certainly has improved since his rookie year but he has a long way to go till he's challenging Mallett for the starting job. If Mallett can't cut it, we probably need to draft another guy.