1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CNN] Union: Pistol-whipped detective didn't shoot attacker because of headlines

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by GlenDice, Aug 13, 2015.

1. GlenDice

GlenDice Member

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/13/us/alabama-birmingham-police-detective-pistol-whipped/index.html

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's a shame, he should have shot the prick.

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

walking on eggshells = not shooting people

I think my argument that most cops don't need guns is getting stronger every day.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not shooting people that should have been shot.....ending up in the hospital because of not shooting people that should have been shot.

5. GlenDice

GlenDice Member

walking on eggshells = not being able to do their job

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

So...did someone die?

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fortunately, no. Just a cop ending up hospitalized with a head injury. Had he done his job properly someone would have died, but he was too scared of the backlash that other cops have had to deal with after doing their job properly to do his job properly. He's really lucky his hesitation didn't cost him his life.

8. Anas acuta

Anas acuta Member

How do you remember to breathe?

Exactly. I'll take my chances with the grand jury.

Also, it's embarrassing to put these into the same category.

9. GlenDice

GlenDice Member

Well, Wilson took his chances and he ended up becoming unemployable for doing his job.

10. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

Love the false choice presented.

Either cops are allowed to indiscriminately kill whoever looks at them the wrong way or it's open season on those poor civil servants.

11. Anas acuta

Anas acuta Member

Despicable
    I would have stayed in Ferguson. He didn't have to quit.

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's expected. These are same types that excuse every police action no matter how ridiculous.

Unfortunately we can probably expect more attacks like these. The videos of these incidents with police are putting the brutality we would never see into the open and people are pissed.

13. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

So Glen, Bobby and gang I assume now you think that the absolute major problem in law enforcement is not enough cops shoot or pistol whip citizens at traffic stops.?

Didn't even read the story, but was was it a white cop and a black arrestee? If so it will be repeated ad infinitum in right wing media from
    Rush to Fox and all its friends on the email loop and will be remembered in future years as the norm among their fans.

As an aside, given that this allegedly took place in Birmingham Alabama I would not be surprised if the real facts are that the suspects got the drop on the detective and it seemed less embarassing to concoct the story about how this happened because he was so cautious due to unjust media coverage of l police brutality and that everything would have just been ok if the detective had just starting shooting or pistol whipping the suspects right off the bat.

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

"approaching the detective and repeatedly questioning why he'd been pulled over" <--- worthy of being shot? Mouth off to the cop and BOOM.

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The bad guy is caught. No one is dead. It sound like a bad ending.

16. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

Why is this a thread?

17. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Because it is distracting and convinces the usual suspects that Black Lives Matter is just another case of Blacks getting over on them.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Sooooo. . . . .. better someone die than a cop get bruised. . .. .

Cop inconvience >>> Human Life???

No One died . . .sounds like a good deal to me

Rocket River

19. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Uh...what? Where was this choice even presented? It wasn't...you made it up.

More accurately, I think the choice is for a cop to risk shooting someone who is being physically aggressive towards them or to risk the physical altercation and take his chances man-to-man.

And what does the cop get for showing restraint and not shooting the guy intent on a physical altercation? His bloodied picture posted on the internet with tags like #fckdapolice. He gets people asking why this is even news.

And what would have happened if he went the other route and the cop had shot the guy? Not really a question, because everyone knows how it goes by now.

20. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Good transparent tactic of downplaying the incident with words like "bruised" and "inconvenienced" to describe a situation where someone gets pistol-whipped unconscious requiring staples to be put in his head. If this happened to you, would you say were you "inconvenienced"? Or is it just your hatred of cops that allows you to use those terms to describe this situation?

I think I would have preferred the deal where the law-abiding police officer doesn't get pistol whipped and put in a situation where he could be killed and the dangerous, violent criminal who is willing to beat someone unconscious with a pistol does get killed.

The "well, he didn't die" defense seems more like luck than anything else. If the cop shot him and the criminal happened not to die, I'm guessing that would be a good deal too?

#20 DCkid, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2015