1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo Spears] Denver President on Lawson Trade and his Drinking

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Jul 22, 2015.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports interviewed Nuggets president Josh Kroenke

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nuggets-president-josh-kroenke-ty-lawson-210140038.html

I checked around the GARM for this article, but only found parts of it in the Stickied Trade thread. Thought some might want to read. I provide the quote parts of the article, below.

Although it's mainly about the drinking and why they had to split with Lawson, it does talk directly about the trade.

Here's the part with the most quotes

Nuggets Tried to get Lawson Help for Years

Kroenke told Yahoo Sports on Tuesday in a phone interview that the Nuggets had been privately trying to help Lawson with his issues for “the past couple of years” and that there had been problems for a long time.

Kroenke said he had repeated conversations with Lawson about his “life struggles,” adding that Lawson often said he would attempt to fix his issues but he could “never fully shake them.”

Kroenke says you could smell alcohol on Lawson's breath at practices

“He always had an affinity for burning the candle at both ends,” Kroenke said. “We want to give our players freedom to be young guys as well. We’re not going to be drill sergeants. But we want our guys to be able to handle their personal lives on their own.

“Ty … there were times when he was better than others. But the problems have been there for several years, going back to when we were having a lot of on-court success. I don’t want to go back too far. There were just a lot of times where you were at practice and you just know. You could smell it. You know there is probably deeper issues than he would probably let on.”

Kroenke reached a breaking point with Lawson when the guard skipped the Nuggets’ first practice after the NBA All-Star break in February after spending time in Las Vegas. Kroenke said he hadn’t talked to Lawson much since then, but continued to support him. Most of Lawson’s front office communication since the All-Star Break had been with Nuggets general manager Tim Connelly. “I love Ty and will always love Ty, but once I saw him going down this dark path, we knew that we probably were going to end up in a situation where we were dumping him,” Kroenke said. “It creates a weird dynamic.”

Specifics about the trade environment

There weren’t a lot of teams [interested in Lawson],” Kroenke said. “Houston was in a position where this could put them over the top. We’re fully aware of that. We couldn’t look at this deal from any perspective but our own.

“In the long run, I hope [the trade] is a good thing for Ty Lawson, the person. There are no guarantees. Sometimes you just need to hear the message from a different person. Sometimes a change of scenery is the best thing for all parties. That’s the way we looked at this. … I think Ty Lawson, the person, is starting to understand more so than he ever has the things he needs to do in order to keep his career on track and more importantly get his life on track.”

Lawson's Agent Praises the Nuggets and Talks about Ty's Next few Months

“[The Nuggets] understood what was best for Ty,” Lawson’s agent Happy Walters told Yahoo Sports via text. “They actually care, and it’s rare for owners and GMs to put players’ well-being first.

Although Lawson could be in an ideal situation, it’s still unclear when he’ll be able to join the Rockets. Lawson's next court appearance is Aug. 20 in Denver for January’s DUI arrest.

“I am hopeful he will be ready [for training camp],” Walters said. “He is going to spend time working on himself. Basketball will come after.”

#1 heypartner, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Maybe if you and your GM didn't build such a crappy team, Kroenke, it wouldn't have drove Ty to reach for the bottle.

Bad joke aside, I hope this doesn't turn out like the last player we acquire that had a known drinking problem:

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I was hoping it wasn't this bad.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The one thing I still can't figure out is why they didn't trade him at the deadline.

The offseason just cratered his trade value, and the Nuggets had to know they were moving in a different direction.

But whatever...

5. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Don't know why this guy felt it was appropriate to dish on Lawson like this.

6. bmd

bmd Member

And he still played good basketball this year.

I hope he gets his problem dealt with. But it seems even with his problem he is still able to perform on game day.

7. steddinotayto

I think it's more of him trying to give Lawson a wake up call that, hey, this could be your last shot at keeping an NBA career. I agree that it's none of Kroenke's business to air out but I think there's a certain level of concern for Lawson the human being as well as Lawson the NBA player.

8. steddinotayto

Because they stupidly, IIRC, demand at least 2 1st Rounders for him.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Maybe they thought they could find him the help that he needs. He is still a top PG.

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

It was before they drafted Mudiay, a kid with great potential for whom they were willing to almost pay another team to take Lawson off their hands just to keep clean.

11. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Not sure how I feel about him saying this publicly, but I'm ultimately glad we have the info. I had a friend in law school who was supremely functional, but you could routinely smell the alcohol from his pores when he sweat. I don't know a ton about alcoholism and definitely don't want to offend anyone who has struggled/struggles with it, but it's very interesting to me that many people are able to drink in such excess and still function at what appears to be a reasonable level (at least on the surface).

12. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

classless act dishing in public, really against the move, it also speaks volumes of the neglect from Denver towards a player. If there are known issues and you care so much check him in to rehab and don't let him play until he stops drinking.

I don't know how bad Ty's drinking is and I don't claim too, but getting the guy help is ever so important, and i am confident Houston are the franchise to show him the love he needs

13. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Great point. Denver invested millions in him, but yet they were prepared to let young guys be young guys.
    OK to a certain point, but IF he comes to training smelling of alcohol on a regular basis, someone needs to step in and do something if not for the player as a person, but the club which they've invested in.

Everyone know's he's in re-hab now. (Not saying that will cure/fix things) but there was no need for Denver to come out and make these types of statements. Completely unnecessary.

14. baubo

baubo Member

It's articles like these and all the crap Cuban has spouted this offseason that makes me glad our front office doesn't talk dirt. I don't know the details in Denver on Lawson, but man, let bygones be bygones. And wish Lawson good luck and leave as that.

15. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Went too far with the breath comment, but other than that I have no issues with what he said. Sounds like they genuinely care for the guy, and his agent agrees with this.

16. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

I thought what Kroenke said was well said. No idea if it's genuine or agenda-laced, but it comes off as if he is hoping the move and a change of environment helps Ty Lawson for the better.

17. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Stuff like this really makes me nervous, hopefully he will be ready by training camp.

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Well now we know why Denver sold at zero

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

It comes off as reality to me.

Ty has some major personality issues. I like to drink too but if I was on my 3rd dui I wouldn't be driving and looking for my 4th like this dumb ass.

20. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

It is a low risk, high reward trade after all. We gave up basically nothing (non-playoff rotation players and a protected 1st round draft pick) and got Lawson (all-star with a 2nd year non-guaranteed contract) and probably a high 2nd round pick in return.

If it doesn't work out, you have a lot of cap space and could try to bring in another superstar or all-star game changer, like a guy named KD. :rolleyes:

But, I have faith Ty will get this straight. He will be supported more, not only within the organization but he has also 'friends/teammates' like Harden, Brewer, D12 and hopefully Terry that can 'lead' him the right way.