1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any brake shop recommendations for a Toyota??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Drewdog, Jan 31, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

I need to get my brakes replaced, but not quite sure of a reputable shop around Houston I can TRUST.

Looking in either the Spring Branch area, or Midtown/Montrose.

:p

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Just stay away from Mikey's on Almeda. He tried to rob me a couple of years ago and I've been badmouthing him ever since. As to soomeone you can trust, good luck.

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I got a great repair shop for Toyota/Lexus cars, but it is in my neighborhood in SW Houston, near Willowbend and Stella Link. PM me if you want the details.

4. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

this is completely unrelated and doesn't help at all...

but today i changed a back tire on my toyota 4runner.

5. droxford

droxford Member

Stay away from Just Brakes on 290.

6. Drewdog

Cool. I sent you an email.

7. Drewdog

Ive heard NIGHTMARES about Just Brakes.

8. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

I'll teach how you to do it for food. If your unwilling to learn, take it to a shop. Once you see how easy it is, you'll never pay someone to do it again. It's like doing a oil change or changing your spark plugs.

If your rotors are warped, you'll need to take them to get resurfaced. Actually even if their not warped, I would recommend getting them resurfaced. This way the brakes/rotors get embedded in nicely.

A brake job, well just the fronts should be less than a hour. If your rears are drums....I'll stay away from that. :D

#8 chow_yun_fat, Jan 31, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2006
  9. droxford

droxford Member

I've done my own brakes before. It sucked. It did NOT take me half an hour. It was a royal pain in the ass, and I never want to do it again.

I, too, would like to know of a good place to get brakes done on my Toyota(s).

10. chow_yun_fat

The reason why it was a pita for you (droxford) is because your not mechanically inclined or inexperienced. It really truly is very easy. You take off the wheels, unbolt 1-2 bolts, lift the caliper up, slide out the brakes, clean the brackets, put the brackets on the new brakes, apply anti-squeel compound and put everything back together. As ez as cake.

11. droxford

droxford Member

"Take off the wheels"
    ... assuming you have the equipment to stablilize the front end of a car at least 12 inches off the ground. If you don't you can try using a jack, but once it's jacked up you'd better not do any pushing or pulling (say, to tighten or loosen any bolts) or you'll knock the car off the jack, at which time the front end of your car will go crashing to the ground. Hopefully, you won't be under it at the time.

"slide out the brakes"
    .... well, unless your brake cylindar is squeezing the brake pads (which it will be), in which case they won't come out. So, you'll have to use a c-clamp to compress the brakes, but you can't do this while the system is pressurized. So you gotta open the brake fluid cap and as you compress the C-clamp, brake fluid will barf all over your car. You can avoid this by draining the system, but that's a whole other can of worms...

"apply the anti-squeal compound"
    ... which is a bunch of very sticky blue goo that gets all over everything as you try to put the brakes back into place.

NO THANKS.

12. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

Brake Check did a good job on my Honda Accord and very good pricing.
    Stay away from Firestone...they rip you off.

13. chow_yun_fat

lol, u listed every possible thing that could go wrong. i hope all those things didnt happen to you, cuz if that happened to me i would be scared to do any vehicle work after that kind of experience.

14. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

I've actually had pretty good luck with Mikey's Auto and they have a pretty good reputation. I would highly recommend them. They're close to the intersection of Wheeler and Almeda.

If you speak fluent Chinese, I have a couple of guys I can definitely recommend as well.

15. droxford

droxford Member

You're damn right they did!! The car, crashing to the ground... thank God I wasn't under it at the time....

the brake fluid.... <*snif*> vomiting all over the damn car.....

<*sob*> ... I mean that **** was everywhere...

..... <*bawl*> and then that blue squeel gunk... It stuck to everything...

<*cry*> ... and IT DIDN'T COME OFF!!.... mwaaaaaaa!!!

WAAAAAAA!!!!!

It didn't come off!! Why won't it come off? I'm using gasoline, turpentine, paint thinner, nail polish remover...And it's not coming off!!! why won't come off!!! NO!!! NO!!!!!!!

<*snif*>

<*snif*>

damn you.

16. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

You seem to always make these types of statements.

17. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

"Thou shalt not question Tmac640"

-Aristole during a State of the Union address (circa 1200 BC)