1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Advice for a new cell phone/cell phone plan?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Drexlerfan22, Jan 23, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Hey guys, I need to get a cell phone. Soon. And I've never had one before, so I'm not really sure what to look for, plan-wise or phone-wise.

I need it because I just got promoted to head computer technician for three buildings, so it would be a nightmare to keep in contact with my assistants without a cell phone. Otherwise, I don't really talk on the phone too much, I just need local minutes for work. I know my best friend has Verizon so if I signed up with them I could talk to him free, but other than that I'm kinda clueless.

As far as features on the actual phone, I think it would be kinda cool to have mp3 ringtones, but other than that I can't think of too much I want. I'm not interested in games, and I already have an extemely small camera, so I don't need a camera-phone.

So anyone who has any kind of cell phone recommendations at all, be it what company to sign up with, what kind of plan to get, or what features you do or don't use, please let me know.

2. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Cell phone service is really dependant on location, so you would be better off asking friends/BBS members that you know live near you.

In Houston, I've heard Cingular was the way to go.

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

TMOBILE is good. I have the 600minutes for $39.99 a month with free nights and weekends. (unlimited minutes) Course it has free long distance and roaming etc.

Plus, a couple of months ago TMOBILE also introduced 3 day weekends so now the free weekends starts on Thursday nights.

Never sign up for more than a one year contract. Always better deals every year and the deals on new phones etc. when you sign up.

4. Rocket G

Rocket G Contributing Member

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

As an aside, if you are legitimately only getting this phone for work, you should really try talking to whoever your superiors would be about it. I see no reason why you should be forced to pay for a new cell phone and plan just because you got promoted. The way I look at it, anyone who would be in your new position would be required to have the phone/plan, and as such, it is really part of the job, not part of your personal life. If it was your own business, damn straight, you'd be expensing it. Anyway, just something to think about.

6. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Huh... good point, hadn't thought of that. I'll have to look into it.