1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who can we get with the Jeremy Lin trade exception?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockbox, Nov 7, 2014.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

We have an approximately 8.3 million TE. I'm really starting to like everyone in our rotation. We just need to add some depth. Who can we possibly target with our TE without giving up any of our main rotation players?

It implies teams that aren't going anywhere that are trying to save money or avoid the luxury tax. That player has to make less than 8.3 million which precludes guys like Garnett.

Do you think NY would give up Calderon or Jason Smith?

2. utcarbs

utcarbs Member

Ekpe Udoh

Paul Millsap would be awesome but he makes 9+.

PF/C is still our biggest need.

3. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

Good thing we have Morey and his team working on this exact thing for 3 months already. Trust the guy to do what is best.

4. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

The obvious one is Dragic, which is a big possibility if a)he continues to struggle, b)the other Suns PG's perform well, and c) the NOP pick improves in value.

5. aakhan786

aakhan786 Contributing Member

We won't know until the trade deadline. Teams would like to get at least draft picks before trading away expiring contracts. Trade exception is usually a last resort for teams.

Morey was fortunate getting Jason Terry and draft picks. It kind of makes up for the Jeremy Lin trade (sort of).

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

It's definitely kneejerk but I think it's not out of the realm of possibility with the way Isaiah Thomas has been playing that Dragic could get moved. Now moved for what and/or whom who knows :confused:

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

A couple of decent value sweeteners can be added. Package with Pelicans' pick or simultaneous trade of Johnson using the min exception or send both.

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

Definately need to go after a starting PG. Can't rely on Bev's health or so it seems.

9. micah1j

micah1j Member

Maybe Reggie Jackson? He wants to be a starter and OKC is afraid he will get a big contract in RFA next year.

10. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I'd go for a scorer off the bench.

Dion Waiters. Would be someone I target as it sounds like he isn't what the Cavs want.

I'd give them some picks as well but if I'm not mistake the TPE can't be used with picks?

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

:)

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Fishing for pretty boys??? Carl you are really strange sometimes. :grin:

14. streetking713

streetking713 Member

they traded the Te for Jason terry to sac!! Look it up!

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

He's referring to Brandon Bass (in his own unique CH way).

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Bass is nothing special, but makes some sense under the circumstances. Makes $6.9M with an expiring contract so the salary fits and he won't hurt future cap situation. He is also a competent vet who can bang bodies and rebound down low and make some 15 footers. Seems more reliable than the younger bigs on the roster.

Boston probably won't get much for him in a trade anyway and this saves them some cash. They also got few other PFs who they'd like to play in a rebuilding situation.

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

Jeremy Lin

1 person likes this.
  18. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I love Bass's mid range game and him being a veteran. Rockets still have that huge hole in the mid range department on offense.

19. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

You might be the one to look it up...

Our biggest need is backup C. If we can't get a decent backup C, then I'd just take best player available.

20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

First off, you can't TRADE a trade exception. It's just a "hole" into which new salary can be absorbed.

Second, the Rockets matched salaries for Terry by trading away the non-guaranteed contracts of Alonzo Gee and Scotty Hopson. They did not touch the Lin trade exception, which is still very much available to absorb up to $8,474,646 (but not a penny more).

Also, please refrain from telling others to "look it up" when you yourself do not know what you're talking about. I understand if you thought the trade exception might have been used on Terry and you wanted to cautiously cast some doubt on the OP. But to definitively chastise the OP without understanding what actually happened is a tad much for my taste.

Thank you and good day, sir!

1 person likes this.