1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Texans have gone with Vick over Fitz?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by awc713, Aug 8, 2014.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

First off, I think Fitz will surprise a lot of people. He was sneaky efficient in the red zone last year, with 8 tds and 0 ints. I don't think Fitz will be asked to do anything outside of manage the game. Hopefully our run game is dominant again (stupid injuries) and our WR core is good enoguh to demand respect w/in 20 yards. No, fitz can't chunk it, but I think he'll put up 20 tds/ 11 ints...not awful, but not great.

Fitz costs 3.5 M a year. Vick is 2 M a year. Should we have gone with Vick instead? Anyone watch him last year or recently?

Here's a run he had today, albiet from a preseason game. Still, would you prefer a vick signing over fitz?

<iframe class="vine-embed" src="https://vine.co/v/MVbaLUE51bp/embed/simple?audio=1" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script async src="//platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

If they didn't want Vince Young what makes you think they would go after a qb like Michael Vick... a organization like the Texans only get certain types of guys at the qb position. Vick doesn't fit their ideal creed.

3. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Vick is by far the better player, but Vick has always had trouble staying healthy and that is always his downfall. You also seem to forget he went to prison and there is no way in hell Bob McNair is putting an ex con on his football team.

4. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

That's one guy I'll never cheer for .. well unless it's to break a leg

5. Remii

Remii Member

Don't forget we had Tony Banks before and Rick is the GM Cstyle so I don't think it's Vick's creed but his deed. Much of the fan base here wouldn't overlook his off the field actions.

6. mick fry

mick fry Member

Please hurry up and start NFL season.

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

lol

no.

Vick is always injured, way past his prime and having an ex-con as your QB isn't good for business

plus he doesn't fit BO'B's system -- BO'B requires an intelligent QB

8. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Tony Banks and Warren Moon as Houston NFL QB'S didn't have the bad rap Vick does. Plus both those QB'S were safe in Houston's mind I know how they work with this kind of stuff. When it came out Moon was beating his wife he was already the guy here. Vick is not safe in their minds. Manziel isn't either even though he's white. Certain type of guys they just won't take a chance on especially right now. I wasn't really surprised that they didn't go after Bridgewater either which in my mind I believed he would be in that "safe" category... but right now I think Bill O'brien will not take that many risks as of now being his first year.

9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Ask that question again in Week 3 when Vick is already injured.

Putting an extremely injury-prone (and now older) quarterback as your starter when the backups are Case Keenum and a raw fourth-round rookie would be asking for disaster.

10. Roxoff

Roxoff Member

As a white dude, even I know the Texans will only go for a white QB.

This thread is more trolling than anything.

Besides, most Houstonians would jump in front of a bus to save their f-ing goldendoodles...

11. solid

solid Contributing Member

That's a great run for an old guy in the NFL. But did he get up after he was hit?

I am not optimistic about our QB situation here in Houston, and I believe that I suggested that the Texans consider Vick (among others) in another post, but Vick's health and age are issues. But no one can predict injuries. Fitzpatrick could be knocked out in preseason. I still think Keenum needs another chance with a better line, running game, and coach. Hope he shines in preseason. If not, he is probably done.

#11 solid, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  12. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

That vine is exactly why you don't sign him. The vine doesn't show the read he missed before he left the pocket and he doesn't slide when he had the opportunity. He's lucky he didn't get nailed and end his season before it even started.

13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

and when he gets hurt do we trot out Keenum again?

14. edwardc

edwardc Member

Yes he would have been the best choice.

15. Anticope

Anticope Member

Uh no. The last two coaches this team has had obviously preferred pocket passing QBs but this is an asinine statement. I guarantee you that they don't care what race the QB is as long as he is a fit for the system.

1 person likes this.
  16. Roxoff

Roxoff Member

You must not watch too much football. White QBs fit the system best because they tend to be pocket passers.

It isn't actually about race though, I was mostly making a comment about the history of Texans QBs. You aren't a Texans fan if you didn't get that.

17. thedude077

thedude077 Member

No, I don't like Quarterbacks who run a lot. I like quarterbacks who pass the ball a lot, the ones who find the right guy to pass and make good plays. Vick runs a lot than passing.

18. Remii

Remii Member

And that's why I said it's because of his deeds and not his creed.

I actually tend to believe they would have drafted Teddy if he fell to the 2nd round. O'Brien also worked with Thad Lewis when he was in college and those guys are kind of similar (not just in color).

19. Nook

Nook Member

It doesn't really matter because the Texans are not most likely going to the playoffs.

20. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

You're still not over the dog thing? C'mon man forgive and forget.