1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Apps are Killing the Web

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Nov 18, 2014.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

I must be an old fuddy-duddy because I prefer to browse websites on the phone vs installing a million apps. Big FU to yahoo, probably the most annoying mobile site that pushes their app.

I don't really agree with the author's conclusion either. The web isn't going away anywhere as long as a web browser app exists. And the apps that would draw users away from websites are aggregate apps like flipboard. The rest are either very specific use cases (ex. Calculator) or essentially portals to existing sites (ex. Facebook). There's no way the future is app switching to every website in the world.

I'd guess that usage rates on phones is high for apps vs web browsing because the activities people are most likely to spend lots of time on are games, music, videos, navigation.

3. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I hate apps for the same reason I detest Apple. They take away control and provide you with what THEY think you want. Its the opposite direction of innovation. While having a product a toddler can operate is fine, sometimes this is not the best way things should be done.

5. Faust

Faust Member

nope. apps are popular because the free market has decided. no one takes control from the people. the people give it up themselves so apple decides for the people instead. no one forces people to buy apple phones but when i look around i dont see anything but apple phones and laptops. its what people want but you want them to use phones like those droid phone geeks who like tech freedom and changing settings. people like cool, simple well built stuff that works and which everyone else has.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure the latest Iphone qualifies as well built.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

To the extent there is only so much time in the day, with more of that online time going to apps, web will get less time by default.

Otherwise I agree with your comments.

The other thing I hate is mobile versions of sites. I'm always switching to the desktop version.

8. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Lol, it does. Its one of the constants that you see in every single review. Did you fall for that bendgate foolishness?

9. da_juice

da_juice Member

Maybe we'll see a return of the "old" internet if you will, where most people only uses apps with the rest of the internet (even more so) for subcultures.

10. Sajan

Sajan Member

app doesn't do everything...but neither does the website.

take an airline app for instance...can i take the website to use as a boarding pass..nope..gotta email it or print it..

but using an app..i can do the 1 or 2 things i would need from the airline.

i still want the main website when i am sitting down at my desk.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

as long as Jontro gets his fix of teh pr0nz.

12. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

13. PhiSlammaJamma

Rising of the Planet of the Apps?

14. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I downloaded this killer app which tells me what are the best apps to download. It's only on Google Play so sorry Iphone bronies.

15. LinHype

LinHype Rookie

Don't the apps need the web to work? Like when you use an app to check the direction to your destination, the app goes to a website to retrieve the data which gives you the result. Therefore, when we use an app, we are also using the web. Wrong?

16. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

not wrong. article is quite pointless

17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I heard some lady at work describing Candy Crush to some co-workers this morning and wanted to ****ing shoot myself.