1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If LeBron were to demand a trade, would the Rockets even entertain the idea of...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeAleck, Apr 8, 2005.

?

Would the Rockets even consider giving up Yao or McGrady for LeBron?

1. Might consider trading Yao for LeBron

119 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. Might consider trading McGrady for LeBron

160 vote(s)
    28.4%
  3. Neither Yao nor McGrady is going anywhere, even for LeBron

284 vote(s)
    50.4%
  1. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Looks like there might be some serious issues between LeBron James and the new Cavs' owner. So, if LeBron were to demand a trade, would the Rockets even entertain the idea of giving up either Yao or McGrady for the kid?

link

2. DeAleck

BTW, for the sake of jerk-ass rolling-eyes/arguments/pictures prevention, I am not suggesting trading either Yao or TMac. This is a poll about the possibility of getting LeBron. Voice your opinion.

3. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

No doubt they would have to consider it.

They'd have to be sure they can resign him here. Trading either T-Mac or Yao for LeBron than losing him as a FA would be the worst move in the history of the NBA. But Ya if we can get LeBron for either one I'd say pull the trigger. I love T-Mac and Yao but this is LeBron. I dont really like LeBron but hes the most talented player I have ever seen I'm sure Ill grow to like him.

Two things two point out though it is a Peter Vecsey article. So its hard to take it seriously. But notice how he still calls out Steven A Smith. I hate vecey but I'm starting to like him since talks mess to a journalist that I hate even more.

4. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Two things.

One, Yao Ming for Lebron James is out of the question, you don't ever trade big for small.

Two, ANY smart business man would trade T-Mac for Lebron James. Smart basketball man? That can be debated.

5. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

Would you trade Kato for James? :D

How about a 3-way trade to bring KG in town? Yao Cav - Lebron Minn - KG Hou.

6. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Who wouldn't go after Lebron if they had the chance to?

I think EVERY team would at least entertain the idea.

They guy is 20 years old and he is this good already, he is hailed as the "savior" of the league.

However, I am saying this just for the sake pf argument, as you said. But honestly there is next to nill that Lebron would EVER be in a Rockets uniform, not when we have already laid down our foundation for this team with Yao/T-Mac. Now, if the Yao/T-Mac era doesn't produce the desired results (which always is a possibility 5-7 years from now), then the team might look to make a move and restart over again.

But really, this Lebron thing is overhyped by the media, he ain't going nowhere BUT New York City if he EVER leaves Cleveland. Ohio is his home, so that always has a leverage on a player. Also, the new owner guy, Gilbert, will do EVERYTHING (and I mean EVERYTHING) possible or impossible to keep Lebron there, even if it means he loses money in the process.

You will see, Lebron will stay there, and the Rockets are not even a possibility for him at this point or in the near future. So there is no point of debating this, IMO.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

But you do trade good for great.

8. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

He is no coming as long as we have Deke here, and we won't trade Deke for him either.;)

9. zhao1109

zhao1109 Contributing Member

LJ 's body doesn't like 20 year old at all and he taking this advantage to create so many mismatch. and his vision to the court is so so so terrific

10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I wouldn't trade either Yao or Mcgrady for him.

Trading Yao we lose all of our inside game.

Trading Mcgrady for him makes us a great regular season team, probably a guaranteed top 3 or 4 in the league each season. However, I think once the playoffs come around we are better off with Mcgrady. I have not seen enough of Lebron's ability to absolutely lead a team when it really counts...he may become a playoff hero one day, but right now he is an exciting, extremely talented player. That's it though. We haven't seen him on the biggest stage yet.

Of course, we haven't really seen Mcgrady either on that stage...but I think he's got what it takes. We are just as good or better in the playoffs with T-mac, so I wouldn't trade him for James.

11. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I would swap TMac for Bron simply because of the age and salary difference.

I would probly do Yao for Bron too, but I'd try to squeeze out a big man from Cleveland as well. Like Gooden or somehow Big Z.

12. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member

Lebron isn't great...

Yet.

13. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

Bron does have the numbers to back him up, but I still think he is just the flavor of the year... If he can still put these numbers up every year and start to play something that resembles defence then we'll talk....

EDIT-
    BTW, you guys sound like the Laker boards that we all make fun of when they think they have a shot at YAO..

14. DeAleck

I don't necessarily agree, tiger. There are two ways for LeBron to leave Cleveland: leave as a UFA or demand a trade.

If he simply doesn't like Cleveland (small market, crappy teams, weird owner...) and wants run through his 5 years contracts then leave, then I agree, we have no chance. We have neither the money nor attraction to get this guy.

However, if he were to demand a trade before waiting for 3 more years, then I think the Rockets is one of the teams that have the greatest chance of landing him. Remember, Cleveland is the team that's trading him, so they want a super-star in return.

Of course, NY wants him, but is Cleveland going to trade LeBron for anyone on the Knicks? Marbury? Ariza? Crawford? No way!

LA wants him, and the only person Cleveland would even consider to trade Lebron for is Kobe Bryant. However, do you think Kobe's value is still as high as it once was after what happened in the past two years? Plus, Kobe has a no-trade clause, and he won't waive it to go to Cleveland.

So, who has a chance to get Lebron then? KG and Duncan are getting old, and you don't trade a 20 years old for a 30 years old. So, what Cleveland wants is a superstar in his early-mid 20s, guys like Amare, Yao, Wade, T-mac or even Dirk. Guess what, we have two guys that qualify. And giving up one isn't the end of the world. Therefore, I conclude that we have one of the greatest chances to land Lebron, if Lebron demands a trade.

Of course, I doubt all these will happen. So what? Talking is what the fans do, right?

15. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Da Aleck;

Of course if the choice for Cleveland is trading Lebron or losing him to free agency I think they would be amenable to many of the trades you bring up.

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm probably one of the few who would do the Yao for Lebron trade.

The Chicago Bulls are enough evidence for me to know that a SUPERSTAR guard/forward combo can win in the NBA, with the right role players, and, imo T-Mac and Bron are both better than Yao. IMO, Scottie Pippen has absolutely nothing on either T-Mac or Lebron, though neither of those two players have anything on Jordan.

Analogies aside, it would never happen. Even if one was to be traded, Les would have to be a moron to trade Yao before T-Mac.

Lebron and Yao would make the most marketable duo in the history of pro sports.

17. bfunw

bfunw Contributing Member

LeBJ is no great. In long run, he is no greater than SFrancis.

18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN

I'm a HUGE fan of Lebron, but I don't think it's very likely we'll see him in a Rockets uniform. Further, after all the roster changes over the last couple years I think it's about time they stick to the Yao/McGrady tandem. It would be nice if our team has gained some sort of roster stability by the time Yao goes into extension talks. I don't think he'd be pleased to see yet another radical change in the direction of the team. Also, while it's the better move for the longterm and undoubtedly would be a great business move, I don't think our chances improve over the next five years or so for having Lebron rather than McGrady.

19. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

If I was Gilbert I would be scared as hell about leaving a legacy like Harry Frazee of the Boston Red Sox left when he traded Babe Ruth. He better make every effort to ensure that LBJ stays in Cleveland or feel the wrath of all of Ohio.

LBJ is the real deal. If he stays healthy, he will break all the records of his airness Michael Jordan.

20. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Signed, Otis Thorpe.