1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Soundbar Recommendations

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HR Dept, Sep 28, 2015.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I'm looking to ditch my cheap 5.1 setup in favor of a soundbar subwoofer combo. Willing to spend up to $600 but definetly less if possible.

Will use with 55 inch for TV, Xbox 1, Apple TV, and occasional music. Not too worried about connectivity or streaming. Thanks!

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I got the Sony HTCT500. It has been discontinued but Sony sells newer models.

Sound is good. Had neighbors complain in the past because the bass was strong and had to turn it down.

Huge upgrade over TV speakers. Wanted an easy install and not something where I'm drilling holes in walls and putting speakers all over the room.

Mine:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0028RXMS0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

New model:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HT-CT370...UTF8&qid=1443481821&sr=1-2&keywords=Sony+htct

3. Josh38

Josh38 Member

Sonos. A little on the pricey side.

4. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

How cheap is your 5.1 setup? If the receiver is anywhere near decent, you'd be better off just upgrading your speakers. If your receiver's sound is clean and pushes 50-100w per channel, the difference a speaker upgrade will make is unbelievable.

I replaced the speakers in my old Kenwood home-theatre-in-a-box with these:

http://amzn.com/B008NCD2LG

Used two bookshelf speakers for the left and right and got a center channel. Replaced my sub with this:

http://amzn.com/B004LRPXAU

The new setup sounded so good in 3.1 that I never even bothered plugging in my surround speakers. You're not going to find a soundbar for twice the money that will match this setup.

1 person likes this.
  5. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

6. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

do not get polk. i have had 2 and neither one lasted a year.

7. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

So I just got the wireless Vizio soundbar that communicates with subwoofer and surround speakers wirelessly. Definitely not for an audiophile, but works fine for me. I had no interest in running wires through the walls, so this was about the best setup I was going to get for surround sound.

They're very popular and well-reviewed. Would recommend to anyone who wants a quick and easy setup for surround sound.

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-SB3851-C0-Wireless-Subwoofer-Satellite/dp/B00SMBGGV6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443526257&sr=8-1&keywords=vizio+wireless+5.1

8. Sajan

Sajan Member

9. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

My 70" Samsung in my bedroom finally went to TV heaven so I ended up buying a 70" Sharp Aquos Q+ with 4K upscale. I went with the Sharp HT-SB602 2.1 Channel 310W Bluetooth Sound Bar and I'm very satisfied with it. The bass is heavy, treble great, it sounds like surround sound in the bedroom as well. I don't use the bedroom TV much but when I do I high five this soundbar. Big fan of streaming Spotify through it at night and getting rid of the Sono's crap that barely ever works correctly.

10. HR Dept

Thanks for the input so far. I currently have a cheap RCA theater in a box setup, with wires snaked through walls and in the attic but honestly I just want a more simple and central setup.

I've been looking at Samsung's curved soundbars to match my TV, but I can't find any detailed reviews for the entry level model that cost around $400.

11. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Okay, am I going crazy...or did the Amazon link I posted to the soundbar get changed to a newEgg link to the soundbar.

UPDATE: whoa you can see the link update a second or two after loading the page.

12. davo

davo Contributing Member

I have this set up and it is awesome - as DCkid suggests, not for audiophiles but an excellent, cheap and convenient option.

13. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

If you can deal with your current setup and wait for 2 months until Black Friday, you can save about 30% on your system and go for an upgraded model.

Back when I was looking into soundbars last year, I was highly looking into the Vizio 5.1 soundbar system that everyone is linking. Well-rated for a budget system that currently sells for $300+ but was around $200 last year on Black Friday.

You seem to be able to budget a little higher so you can go for higher models which I didn't research much on, but Sajan's WireCutter link is a good source.

I eventually opted for an AV Receiver with Pioneer Andrew Jones Speakers. Everyone says a dedicated AV Receiver with external speakers will blow any soundbar away if you are an audiophile, but more difficult with wiring and aesthetics so soundbars become an option.

14. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

That's actually what I have connected to my 50" Vizio smart tv... the sound is awesome.

It came as sort of a package deal when I bought the TV last year for $600+ total.

I would wait till black friday as suggested as well, even after there are pretty good deals floating around even after that weekend.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Whoa that Vizio looks great. I may need to upgrade

16. HR Dept

Wow, I do don't even think about Black Friday.

I'll definitely wait it out until then.

17. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

I have the Andrew Jones speakers by Pioneer, they are average at best. I will be moving them to a bedroom or study soon and upgrading to real home audio speakers.

18. HR Dept

So after some research I've decided to go with the Samsung HW-J650 soundbar. Main reason being its Sonos like ability to later add wireless surrounds if I choose. Would probably add Samsung's Shape M3 Wireless Speakers for surround.

So that would be a soundbar with wireless sub and true wireless surround speakers for under $800. Including the wireless audio hub to make it all work. Still going to hold out until Black Friday to find the best deal possible.

19. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I almost bought the higher end Vizio sound bar for the master bedroom...until I "caught" my brother (as in..."what is this receiver doing here in this room not set up as a home theater?" lol) who had relegated a previous higher end Yamaha receiver (from years past but still 5.1) to his study after he replaced it and never used it except sometimes to listen to the radio. I quickly "borrowed" it and matched it with my 4 Klipsch bookshelf speakers and a center channel speaker that were on closet duty previously. All I had to do was buy a subwoofer. And, damn that is a sweet sounding setup in the bedroom. Had to run the wires the long way around the room away from the door and to keep them out of sight but no problem there. Yea...I almost bought a new AV receiver instead of the sound bar for my situation. It was close and I struggled making that decision before I lucked out. In summary, it's great having a giving brother who is super cool. :)

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Which one? I got the one made for Xbox