1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anderson Varejao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kaleidosky, May 19, 2006.

1. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I hope this hasn't been brought up already.

But in Chris Sheridan's ESPN chat, he mentioned that he didn't think Cleveland had the $ to match a full MLE contract for RFA Anderson Varejao. If that's true, do you see him fitting in here?

If we could find ANY way to either dump Juwan's salary or trade Swift for something decent (maybe package with the high pick to move up, or with the low pick for a player, etc.).. I really like Anderson starting next to Yao. His J isn't consistent yet from 15, but he could get there.

Aside from that, he's everything you'd want from a 4 (aside from fouling just a bit too much, but you'll get that outta Stro anyway).

Assuming we can draft a Gay/Roy/Carney swing player...our other target can be a 4 in FA...and maybe a PG via the Swift trade or the #32 pick and VS.

Thoughts?

2. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Full MLE. I don't know. He's a terror, and got buckets of energy. But is he really that much better than the likes of Aaron Williams and other high energy guys.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Why wouldn't Cleveland be able to match an MLE offer? They have an MLE of their own.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

He's been fun to watch in the playoffs, for sure, but you never know what you're getting. Never played more than 15 mpg. But if given the choice between him and Stromile at the MLE, I'd probably take the chance and go for Varejao.

5. thetennisyao

thetennisyao Member

varejao??? are u serious??? the one dude play for the cavs??? i have been comparing him to joakim noah, but everyone fired at me. he is a scrub... stro>verajao :)

6. Diaw

Diaw Member

hi. we need a PF with long shooting range ... Varejao has no shot at all, so ...

7. kaleidosky

I guess the feeling is that they wouldn't based on their commitments. Z poorly committed to last summer (well, hindsight anyway)...Gooden locked up. Hughes just got a fat contract, and LBJ is gonna be extended and all (or else will get an even bigger deal the next summer). Plus they still need a point...cause Snow isn't gonna do it for the future. Getting old and can't shoot at all.. oh right, plus the Damon Jones signing last summer.

8. kaleidosky

ok, then sign Scott Padgett and be done with it. Come on, "long shooting range" isn't the only characteristic we need, otherwise Juwan or Padgett or someone like that would fill that nicely. I don't think that'll be the #1 thing we need out of the starting 4.. and I've seen Varejao stick the 15 footer periodically.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Varajao leaving Cleveland is fantasy. They will dump Gooden and get something in return, like a decent PG. Marshall and Varajao are a decent PF rotation for them.

I would take Varajao over Stromile Swift any day of the week.

10. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

They don't have an MLE. They are under the cap. However, they are under at an amount just below the MLE. Therefore, they cannot match an MLE offer.

11. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

that sucks lol

12. Diaw

Diaw Member

yes you're right, we also need defense and athleticism (?). i dont think we will find someone who fill those 3 needs, but Tim Thomas who's a FA is an athletic PF who can hit 3 pointers. sadly i dont think he'll ever sign with rockets. radmanovic, also a FA, would also be better than varejao i.m.o.
    and i think we can find better than varejao in this year's draft which is loaded of good PF (with our second pick of course, i also want the rockets to draft a swingman with their lottery pick)

13. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1.) The salary cap for next has not been set yet.

2.) If they are under the cap by less than the MLE (and any other exceptions), they can use the MLE and any other exceptions in lieu of the cap space.

As for the original topic...no thanks on Varejao at MLE level.

Varejao is not the type of player we need to go after. He benefits from being able to slide over to the 5, and may even be better suited at the 5. As always, there is a premium placed on centers and pseudo-centers in this league. Because of our fairly unique situations of having one of the only productive, let alone dominant true centers in the league, guys like Varejao just aren't worth the cost. It's not worth wiping out the bulk of our MLE for a marginal guy like Varejao.

In general, we should avoid centers, especially with what these playoffs have shown, I would expect Swift to get the bulk of the backup 5 minutes next year. The only exception I'd make to that would be if we can get one via the draft (which avoids the premium price) that is mobile enough to play with Yao in a "twin towers" set - and the only guy that fits that description this year would be Aldridge.

#13 NIKEstrad, May 19, 2006
    Last edited: May 19, 2006
  14. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

Varejao is no more than Chuck Hayes, he's a scrub

15. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

A 7' Chuck Hayes? I wouldn't mind that.

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

he's not worth the MLE. i wouldn't mind splitting the MLE between him and someone else, but the cavs would likely match any reasonable offers.

17. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!

Thanks for clearing that up for me. That makes sense though. Wouldn't be fair otherwise.

Back to the main topic, I agree. Varejao isn't what we need. MLE seems high for him anyway.

18. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

he is not even a Chuck Hayes.. Hayes is much better.. Hayes can rebound better and finish under the basket .. Varejao can just watch the game and foul people... say no to Varejao..

19. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Our keys this summer to establishing the "all hair" team:

1. Sign Varejao.
    2. Bring back Moochie, and put him through off-season stimulation treatments to regrow his fro.
    3. Sign Brian Grant after the Lakers cut him.
    4. Win the lottery, and draft Adam Morrison.
    5. Trade TMac for Steve Nash.
    6. Trade 3 future first round picks and our Trade Exception to the Clippers for Caveman er Kaman.
    6. Have David Carr talk to Yao about pledging to not cut his hair until the Rockets win back to back playoff series.
    7. Fire JVG and hire Stan VG.

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I don't think Varejao is that good. He used to play for Barcelona, I ended up watching a few games in which he played, and I was not too impressed.

(By the way, one of the few NBA players I have seen in person outside a game...he seemed to hang out a lot at a club called Astoria in Barceelona...saw him there three times (and only went there like 4 times total), don't know if he lived there or what. Obviously not important to the assessment of his skills, just what I remember when they are talking about him. Oh, and I don't think he is a 7footer. I noticed him because he was like almost the only taller guy in the club (I'm 6'6), but he was not that much taller. I'd guess 6'10 at the most.)