1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What exactly is a flagrant foul?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Toast, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Toast

Toast Member

Don't know where to find a rulebook, so I thought I'd ask here, since I've seen people quote the rulebook before.

Seems to me on the play pictured on the clutchcity.net homepage where Yao was tackled, the defender did not make any attempt to play the ball. He just bearhugged Yao and wrestled him down.

I thought that's what a flagrant foul was all about. It wasn't necessarily about potential injury, it was about not even making an attempt on the ball.

I'm not necessarily upset that it wasn't called a flagrant (I'm really more upset that it took a guy wrestling Yao down to actually get a foul call), but when I was watching that, it made me wonder what the exact rule was. If someone could post it to ease my mind, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_b.html?nav=ArticleList

Direct from the NBA.com rules page

A flagrant foul-penalty (1) is unnecessary contact committed by a player against an opponent.

A flagrant foul-penalty (2) is unnecessary and excessive contact committed by a player against an opponent. It is an unsportsmanlike act and the offender is ejected immediately.

The difference between a flagrant 1 and a flagrant 2 is really subjective. A flagrant 1 is called when the player clearly doesn't go for the ball but with no intent for injury. If a player is in mid air, then the law of gravity takes over. A flagrant 2 is usually when a player deliberatly tries to injury another player like a clotheline in mid air or grabbing somebody and throwing them to the ground.

That tackling of Yao may have seemed like a flagrant, but the player was falling to the ground, and the only option he had to prevent Yao from getting the shot off was grabbing him by the waist. Another ref might have called a flagrant, or if Yao weren't a rookie, then a flagrant might have been called, but it was subjective...

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I don't think that was really close to a flagrant foul. He grabbed Yao's arms and they both ended up falling backwards. He didn't try to do anything to hurt Yao, just prevent him from getting off the shot.

4. Toast

Toast Member

Yeah, but they have rules about breakaway fouls when a guy's in the open court.

Isn't tackling a guy underneath the basket so that he can't dunk it for an easy 2 similar?

Again, I'm not saying that I think they should have whistled it a flagrant. I'm just saying that I thought the RULE for flagrant fouls was they're called when the player has no intention of going for the ball. The guy right behind Yao bearhugs him ... he was in no way going for the ball (even though all the Raptors were amazingly calling for a jump).

5. evild3ad

evild3ad Member

The contact was on purpose but falling down was incidental. He didn't do it on purpose he was just trying to prevent yao from scoring. Flagrant is when a player uses more force than necessary. I think there's some leeway in what refs can call a foul but it's usually obvious.

6. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hate to disagree with you Jeff, but that clearly should have been a flagrant 1 - giving yao two shots and the Rockets retain the ball. The defender clearly had no intention at going for the ball, but instead wrap his arms around Yao and take him to the floor, to avoid the easy put back. However, that being said it is a subjective call, and the ref did not call it - so it wasn't one.

To me it makes it look like anytime a defender catches the ball in front of you, you have all the right to grab him and bring him down - that might make the game more exciting, but it is a flagrant foul.

The real injustice in that game, however was that clean block Yao placed on Williams - talk about horrible!

I am not one to talk/complain about reffing - but this is the hardest sport to ref and the only one where it seems the reffing determines the outcome of many games. I really wish they would take the names off the jersey's. so the refs would call a foul if it occurs. I really get sick and tired of announcers saying:

"It's Jordan, he shouldn't get those calls!"
    "He's a rookie, he doesn't deserve it!"
    "The refs don't want to foul out Kobe!"

Man, if it is a foul call the damn thing, who cares who it is!!!

Sorry, about the rant - back to your regular scheduled program.....

7. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

under FIBA rules they are no Flagrant fouls and also non of these breakaway fould which are both a pile of interpretive crap.

Tech fouls - 1FT and possession (2FTs if foul is on bench or coach)
    Intentional/Unsportmans like foul - ie your example of not going for the ball or a hard foul - 2FT and possession
    Disqualifying foul - extremely hard foul, shove, punch, fight etc. - 1FT and possession and player ejected

Also can someone explain to me when along the history of the NBA did the genius' decide to not count Techs towards the personal foul count.