1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you rather have Dwight Howard or James Harden?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J-Tang, Oct 28, 2012.

1. J-Tang

J-Tang Member

This offseason, the talk for the Rockets was all about Dwight Howard except there was no guaranteed contract extension from him. We now have James Harden with a guaranteed contract extension for the long run.

In retrospect, after a crazy summer, would you rather have walked into the regular season with Dwight Howard and no guarantee of him staying or would you rather have the situation that we are in right now, having James Harden for the foreseeable future?

Just wanted to reflect and see what people were thinking.

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Dwight is a fame w**** that would've left us in the dirt after the season, so Imma go with Harden.

3. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

Given the choice I would have chose to roll the dice with Howard. I'm ecstatic about getting Harden though.

4. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

1 year rental Howard
    vs.
    5 year Harden

It's a no brainer. Take 5 years of The Beard in a heartbeat.

5. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

locked up long term? Dwight. Prefer a 23 year old Harden over a 1 year rental any day though.

6. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Have to say Harden just due to the contract terms for each of them. Now I'm more curious about who we will sign during free agency to round out the roster.

Howard could still be available after the next season. Bynum should be available as well, but assuming that T. Jones shows he can be a threat at the 4 I really like the idea of Josh Smith. This team is a much more attractive destination today than it was yesterday.

7. tofu--

tofu-- Member

Harden isn't a egotistical headcase AND he's signing long term, so I think the choice is obvious.

8. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I'd pick....

JAMES Mother ****ing HARDEN

9. supdudes

supdudes Member

Dwight unless you're homer...which everyone here is. I like the Rockets this year, but I don't believe they'll contend for a 'ship. With someone like Dwight, it's quite possible, though Harden will be a valuable asset moving towards that goal.

With that said, I'd rather Have Lowry, Goran, and Scola. :(

10. clos4life

clos4life Member

Dwight talent wise without a doubt. That being said, Dwight would have left us and Harden is gonna be here for at least 5 years.

But unless you are a big homer, Dwight is a top 5 player in the league with a huge impact upon the game at the position that's hardest to fill.

11. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

They are not on the Rockets so no one cares

12. shoops

shoops Member

Dwight is better, but a rental doesn't leave the rockets in a good position so I'd take a guaranteed Harden.

13. rocketsmetalspd

Have to go with the guy that wants to be here Harden.

14. bad_jason

bad_jason Member

As constructed, this Houston team wasn't ready for Dwight Howard. However, as constructed, this Houston b-ball team is the perfect for a hungry 23 y/o combo guard.

So, Harden all day, every day with this team, as constructed.

15. Garner

Garner Member

A healthy Dwight Howard playing his game circa 2009 on a 5 year contract? No brainer.

Except, that isn't who we were being offered.

I'll take Harden.

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Dwight and his people openly told us that he was not going to resign with us.

Dwight is the obvious choice in terms of talent, but Harden is the obvious choice because he is here for the long term and can improve to be a potential top player in this league.

It's not at all being a homer, it's simply logical thinking for the future of this team.

17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Rent a attention whoring man child for a year, no thank you

18. cml750

cml750 Member

Given Dwights back injury, I say Harden. If Dwight didn't have back issues, I would take him anytime over Harden. I predict Dwight's back injury will affect his game and shorten his career.

19. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

A big is always better. But considering Dwight will not resign with the rockets, harden is better to build a future around.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

They weren't getting a ship with Dwight here and then he would have left.

The entire year would have been one big circus. I guess the Rockets would have been relevant but not in a good way...

Not only that we were giving up a lot more, we're talking about 2-3 of our rookies and when Howard left we would have been left with little. I guess at least we would have been very bad. We'd be looking forward to Wiggins in a Rockets jersey though, so it could have been a great thing now that I look at it.

Ah well. Afflalo.