1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is no Audio with HDMI Vista Issue or GF 8600 GT Issue

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by wizkid83, Nov 26, 2007.

1. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Basic question,

I got a new computer (w/ Vista) and added a video card to it GF 8600 GT. For some reason when I use the DVI to HDMI output to my TV (37" Vizio which I use as my monitor), it doesn't have the sound (I use an output from the earphone jack to the audio input of the TV). I believe my TV is trying to get both the audio and video from HDMI because when I connect the audio directly to my sound system it works.

Now before, I had an older computer using XP and GF 6600, even though I had the DVI to HDMI out to my TV and the audio from my headphone jack on computer (exact same setup as now), it works fine.

So my question is: is it the video card (some how making the TV think both audio and video is coming from the card) or OS(Vista) issue?

2. Rockets007

Rockets007 Contributing Member

A HDMI connection supports both audio and video but a DVI connection only supports video. That's probably why you are not getting any sound!

3. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

I know I shouldn't get sound from the DVI device, but I had the headphone out connected to audio in of my HDMI channel. That setup actually worked befer (see first post), I just don't understand why it's not now.

4. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

it's doing what you said. TV is using HDMI for audio too.
    check your TV settings and see if you can some how change the audio input.

at least thats how i read it... your post is kind of confusing. did you always have the Vizio with HDMI input and headphone jack to audio? then you updated your computer?

if you plugged headphones into the computer jack would you get the TV audio with picture on the TV?