1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Playoffs or Tank?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by aka ace, Jan 28, 2002.

1. aka ace

aka ace Rookie

Would you rather go to the playoffs this year being the 8th seed and lose in the 1st round or tank and get a high lotto pick?

Also if we do get the high pick we could use it for trade offers like what the clippers/hawks did.

2. sweetpea

sweetpea Member

Make the playoffs

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Tank Dis Mutha!!!

4. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Play to develop talent, work on execution, and get players familiar with each other, not to maximize points. If that leads to a win, take it. If not, too bad. The point is to improve the team on the first three objectives.

Ideal scenario: Improve the team tremendously, lose every game by 1 point, and land pick #1 in the lotto.

5. enbehay

enbehay Member

Ditto, Will. Well thought out.

6. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Thats exacltly what I've been telling my friends. Lets not tank like Spurs (I am only joking and pissed off when I say otherwise). Lets play Eddie, Oscar and Terrence to see if they really belong in our future. Play Cato 35-40 min if at all possible.

If Cato does okay and Griffin keeps improving we should be in the playoffs next season.

7. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Just play ball.

8. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Stay In Houston!

9. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

PLAYOFFS!! :D

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Unfortunately we don't get to choose. :(

11. Houston-in-LA

Houston-in-LA Member

Playoffs!! I HATE LOSING!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

12. aka ace

aka ace Rookie

I say tank, what good is it to win and get a low draft pick? Next year we need another quality player to compete in the west... with this line up of

Francis/Norris
    Mobley/Torres
    Rice/T-Mo
    Griffin/Taylor
    Cato/Collier

We are very weak at SF, Rice can't defend and his shot % is going down as he gets older. He's useless on this team.

I don't think we'll able to win it all, we need to tank and trade our high pick, imagine if we trade the pick for another quality player (ie Odom, R.Lewis, Rose).

13. DJ

DJ Member

None of the above. I would rather see the Houston Rockets play their best and win a lot more games and when they get to the playoffs, they will try their best to advance to the next round.

14. Festeral Otto

Festeral Otto Contributing Member

Play Hard and Play to Win. Focus on Defense and experiement on offense! I don't care what San Antonio Sports Fans think to the contrary... if you quit people will quit with you. That is not a way to build for the future.

15. teeloo

teeloo Contributing Member

If you substitute the 1 for 6 or less, then we've been pretty much doing just that.
    I think the tanking scenario is not that great because it has 2 major downsides:

1)Obviously there is no guarantee that we would get the #1 pick even with one of the worst teams in the league. See the clippers for about 5 years in a row.

2)We miss the playoffs this year and all the pressure is on next year on Rudy, the Rockets (because Francis will be pissed off if we miss the playoffs again). And if our luck is bad next year, something(injuries, a really good season by a lot of teams in the west ala last year where 45 wins was not enough) we would miss the playoffs again and then risk pissing off Franchise enough to the point he would leave. And no free agents would come here. Rudy may be fired after missing the playoffs for several seasons in a row.

We'll just have to see how it plays out. I say we get one long winning streak and we'll be right back in it.:)

16. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Besides that fact that this topic have been covered a lot already on this BBS, it's still a dumb question.

You dont' tank in pro sports...not intentionally. Doesn't happen.

I agree with the idea of developing some of our younger players but not to the detriment of turning our core players into passive slugs watching games.

Wanna see Steve leave Houston when his contract expires? Tell him to not give 100% or bench him.

17. Houston-in-LA

Houston-in-LA Member

Very well said!! In professional sports you don't tank, you are payed to win and the city and fans expect to see a winning product on the court, field, what have you. Nothing is guaranteed in sports, especially draft picks and trade scenarios, but giving 100% effort and trying to win is something you can control and build on.

18. trifle3A

trifle3A Member

win as many games as possible there are no good players in this years draft not even the top 3. WE need Players who know how to win not more talented players look at the blazers and knicks
    when you have to many good players they all want to play selfish
    and not a team game
    3 solid power fowards all have completly different games
    3 solid small fowards all have different type of games
    2 solid same as above
    2 solid point guards
    2 solid shooting guards
    we should have a much better record