1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

20 Years Ago... A Magical Start Blossoms into the Birth of Clutch City (a romantic short story)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Richie_Rich, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

[credit to Zboy for inspiring this thread]

Lifelong, diehard Rockets fans will forever remember May 11, 1994.

This was the day our 20 point fourth quarter lead against Phoenix evaporated in the span of 10 min in the 4th quarter of Game 2 of the WCSF. Our beloved Rockets blew the first two games of the series at home, losing the second game to the Suns 124-117 in OT.

In stunning fashion, almost fatefully, Houston sports fans were once again dealt a crushing blow. (It was all too reminiscent of something that happened to a certain, unnamed pro football team the year prior during a wintry playoff game in Buffalo.) The Rockets inexplicably fell to 0-2, and a giant sucking sound came over our city like a dizzying fog. What just happened? Rockets fans everywhere shook off the cobwebs only to realize the tall order ahead for our team: we must now win FOUR of our next 5 games, including THREE in Phoenix in order to advance.

The next morning I went outside, grabbed the newspaper, opened it up and read the following title in giant block type: CHOKE CITY. Now I was really sick.

For those of you admitted 'player only fans' eager to grow in your understanding of why this site is called clutchfans.net, and in hopes of becoming Rockets fans, a very informative thread was created by none other than resident GARM curator, tinman. In it he dutifully archives those CHOKE CITY articles written by the now exiled, Eddie Sefko.

[​IMG]
    [chron] The Infamous "CHOKE CITY" Articles
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=133348

A wise poster once wrote, "You cannot truly appreciate Clutch City unless you have experienced Choke City."

Truer words have never been written on this board.

The phenomena known as Clutch City began the moment a city and its team became united by a common complex and belief. To this point, twenty years ago in 1993, Houston had never won a major sports championship. Furthermore, we fans were conditioned with an inevitability, an expectation of losing big games. But yet, there existed an anomaly, a never back down, scrappy-ness that defined Houston's underdog, blue collar identity. It broiled deep in the pits of our gut. Our city has always been in the shadows of the brighter lights of New York, Boston, LA and Chicago. We demanded respect.

But a new team emerged 20 years ago. Players like Vernon Maxwell, Mario Elie, Scotty Brooks, Sam Cassell and Carl Herrera easily became fan favorites because their style of play matched Houston's determination to be noticed as a serious sports town. Our superstar, the greatest International player to ever grace the NBA, epitomized our city's quite strength. He was supremely talented, yet mature, humble and hungry. Houston was ready for its identity to be made known around the league. Together, with the Rockets, we took on the challenge of exorcising those sports demons of years past. *cough*Buffalo*cough*

An early statement had to be made.

The 1993-94 Rockets team, led by Rudy T and Hakeem Olajuwon, recognized that if they were to achieve greatness, if Clutch City was to redefine Houston in June, if the national media was to finally acknowledge Houston as a legitimate sports town, then the Rockets must put the city on its back, come together early, establish an identity, and put the NBA on notice in November,not June.

And so, at the beginning of the 1993-94 our beloved Houston Rockets did exactly that. They had the audacity to believe in something big, something bigger than themselves, and they began immediately.

Houston Rockets Equal Fastest Start in NBA History
    Into Orbit Rockets Go 15-0, Tie NBA Mark
    NBA.com - This Day in History - Dec 2, 1993

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XJqFtZ9U1YM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Their was a winning brand of basketball that existed during those times. The Rockets eagerly invited us to join them in building something special. But we didn't know how to believe. No problem. That Rockets team was built to inspire belief in its fan base. To make things 'sweeter' we had the legendary Gene Peterson to beautifully articulate those magical moments, erupting only the way he could: THIS IS HOUSTON ROCKETS BASKETBALL!!!! YESSSSSSS!!!! HOW SWEET IT IS!!!!
    (Jim Foley trembled loudly, "OH MOTHER!!!!")

CLUTCH CITY WAS BORN.

Twenty seasons later, as the 2013-14 Houston Rockets prepare to open against Charlotte, there are striking parallels between the struggling sports landscape of 1993 and today. The Texans, once again, have given the city every reason to lose faith. Astros fans are suffering depths of despair not wished upon our worst rivals (in the American League). Times are tough.

The stage is set.

Unlike 1993, most Houston fans today expect the Rockets to salvage our city's national reputation as a respectable sports town. Here we are again. Time to exorcise those demons, yet again. Time to make a statement early in the season, build up belief, and put the NBA on notice, yet again.

There will be naysayers. There always are [insert Rudy T's trophy presentation speech]. Now is not the time to focus on player only fans or trolls. This is a special, dare I say, monumental era of HOUSTON ROCKETS BASKETBALL. The city is back! It's time to BELIEVE. Our team is young, hungry and its stars Harden & Howard bear chips on their shoulders.

Watch out everyone...

THIS IS CLUTCH CITY. HOME OF HOUSTON ROCKETS BASKETBALL.

[​IMG]

TWENTY YEARS LATER, ANOTHER STATEMENT IS ABOUT TO BE MADE.

9 people like this.
  2. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

That was beautiful.

[​IMG]

3. Play07

Play07 Member

NICE !!!!!!!!!

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

[​IMG]

Preach it, brothaman. Preach it.

1 person likes this.
  5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. Rudy_T's_CSF

Rudy_T's_CSF Member

Will the chron just re-run this article in the morning?

7. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

As much as I liked reading it, and as inspirational as it was, you gotta be realistic. Letdown after letdown has turned me into a pessimist. A team isn't gonna win because we suddenly start believing. It's gonna win because it's the better team.

8. Rudy_T's_CSF

Rudy_T's_CSF Member

The reason for me bumping this was to say we are Choke City again. I don't think we will be clutch city anytime soon.

9. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

This team is not really choking... they're just not good enough at the moment; not because of lack of talent but because we aren't disciplined or coached well enough.

10. IBTL

IBTL Member

do you remember the 'reality' when down 3-1?
    You are showing your age.

11. ansfjs73

ansfjs73 Member

lol .. good one

12. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

No, I was around for that. I'm old and wise enough to know that these are two very different teams/circumstances. You can't tell yourself to keep hope because we were down in a hole before and something good happened because we believed.

This isn't Angels in the Outfield.

13. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

I was tempted to bump this thread last night but thought better of it. There was just too much going on in the GARM.

It's been twenty years and much has changed. I'll admit that I struggle to see similarities in these two teams (94 Rockets & 2014 Rockets). IMO, the biggest differences are coaching, maturity, and leadership. The coaching angle has been beaten to death, so I'll leave that alone.

What is most disconcerting is the lack of leadership in the locker room. I can't imagine those Clutch City teams being routinely whipped by hungrier teams. It just doesn't compute. Every team goes through a funk -- even in the postseason -- but the truly special teams showcase their character when times are tough, when backs are against the wall, and all that's left to do is band together and battle like there's no tomorrow.

As the thread title suggests, I am a romantic. I bleed Rockets red and will NEVER jump ship. I can't. My fandom was cemented long ago during equally troubling times. How can I turn my back now?

But does this mean I turn a blind eye to our team's lack of inspired coaching, mental fortitude and leadership? Absolutely not. It's there and we all see it.

But this is still Clutch City. Win or lose, this won't change. Thanks to Dream, Rudy, and the rest of our heroes, Houston basketball holds a tremendous tradition. Championships define franchises. It may or may not happen during Morey's tenure, but we owe it to ourselves (and those Rockets champions of years past) to keep believing.

One last thing. Just look at Hakeem on the sidelines during this series. We all know he's a highly distinguished businessman, with global ventures and vast real estate holdings. So why did he agree to come back and commit to Dwight and this team? Surely, it's not about the money. I believe Hakeem cares deeply about Dwight and his legacy as a Houston Rocket. I also believe that Hakeem wants to see Houston Rockets basketball back on top. He's a winner, pure and simple, and he wants to embed his wisdom and passion for winning basketball into Dwight and this team.

In short, I will continue to believe because believing is what made my fandom what it is today. Most of all, I will continue to believe because 20 years ago next month, something miraculous happened after losing our first 2 home games. Will it happen again? Unlikely but not impossible. That is the story of Clutch City. Take it or leave it.

14. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Hakeem isn't walking through that door.

Even though he kinda did...

15. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

*ITS HAPPENING*

16. YallMean

YallMean Member

Hakeem and Drexler
    Howard and Harden

/Thread

j/k

17. Hmm

Hmm Member

Yes, but back then the Rockets had a coach that coined the phrase, "Never underestimate the heart of a champion!"

Today we have a coach that likes to stutter, and stammer about ball stickiness, and apparently blames the absence of an assistant coach for the team's inability to adjust or play defense...

Back then we had Hakeem Olajuwon, the man that said "we need to fockas", demanded the ball from his teammates in pressure situations, and would go on to tell Mario Elie, " That's my trophy" when David Robinson was awarded the MVP award during the playoffs...

Today we have It happens", "It's just basketball, weirdo" Harden...

18. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

This ...

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Then in Game 3...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uKZLpb4rwi0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. jocar

jocar Member