1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Swearinger Gone?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by TMAC3, May 11, 2015.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

AFAIK, there's virtually no economic/salary difference.

The Bucs are now obligated to pay his contract that the Texans gave up.

The Bucs burned their place in the waiver order instead of giving up a draft pick, that's the only difference.

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

He's been involved in one incident, which is hazy on the details, and has been taken care of and dealt with.

The guy is painted as a thug and trouble maker, yet, he's harmed nobody off the field. His instagram is either football related or Bible related. He gets a bad rap for no reason, other than the fact that he plays reckless and has dreads. Just easy to pick on him as a "bad" guy.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yeah I have no reason to think he is a bad dude or has off the field problems. His alleged theft of the truck occurred when he wasn't even in the state.

I'm just glad he's not going to be back there at safety anymore.

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

This isn't fantasy football. Bucs didn't burn their place in the waiver wire. Just like the Texans last year, they'll have first dibs on all waived players up until after week 3 (when the order starts being determined by current standings). You don't move to the back of the line after you claim a player.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not saying he's a bad guy, I'm saying he's not a smart guy. He's not a "thug" IMO, he's a moron. Getting in trouble for "stealing" your own vehicle isn't something a "thug" does, it's something an idiot does. Same goes for setting an awful first impression with a new head coach by walking out of a special teams meeting and then telling him that the meeting isn't important to you because you don't play special teams.....when the team wants you to play special teams.

Same goes for his play on the field, I don't think he's a "dirty" player or anything like that, I think he's just stupid. When the ball is fumbled and he's more interested in his celebration than the recovery, you HAVE to question his intelligence.

Don't get me wrong, he's one hell of a character and his funny/stupid antics were part of the reason I liked him despite him performing poorly most of the time.....but that doesn't always play well with coaches.

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

We can all agree that the reports that he was cut because of his unwillingness to play special teams or his lack of production on the field (was not the worst starter on the team). Something else must have happened to cause the team to give up on him.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It could have been all of those things. Stupid things happening off the field combined with him making a terrible first impression with the special teams comment, combined with the fact that he's just a box safety, combined with the fact that he's a box safety that isn't particularly good at tacking people, combined with the fact that he often cared more about celebrating ANY good play than he did about seemingly anything else, combined with all of the drive extending personal fouls for bad hits even when he managed to not completely whiff on the hit.

All of those things when taken together could be why BOB decided to just get rid of someone he didn't like.

I think it was Jimmy Johnson that told a story about a special teams player who fell asleep in a meeting that was immediately cut for it....then he went on to say if it was Troy Aikman who had fallen asleep he would have nudged him gently and asked him nicely if he wanted to wake up. DJ simply wasn't a good enough player to get away with all of his crazy shenanigans and I think that's why he's gone.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Neat.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

If it was fantasy football, there wouldn't be individual defenders to waive.

So, yeah.

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

Actually I've played in leagues on yahoo where you get to pick individual defensive players. I rode the CBs who also returned kicks to the championship one year.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I remember a league called Sandbox that had it, but now defunct.

LBs were usually the best because they get a consistent 10+ tackles.

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

This was on yahoo. They might still have it. You only got like 2 points per tackle but return yards counted like rushing or receiving yards.
    Ed Reed or Ellis Hobbs would get tackles, interceptions AND return yards.

13. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

ESPN still does it, my buddies and I have been rolling with IDP (individual defensive players) for 10+ years.

But yea, stud MLB's is where the money is at. Chris Borland was a fantasy God for me last year.

14. awc713

awc713 Member

Any word on how Swearinger looks for TB? I checked their Preseason G1 boxscore, and he either didn't play or didn't record any stats.

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I run a league on NFL.com that uses IDP. I like it so much better than team defenses...

16. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

I watched their pre-season game against the Vikings ( a couple times ) and I never noticed him. I wasn't outright looking for him, but I never seem to catch a glimpse of him. He's listed as their backup SS. Which seems about right for his talent level. Poor tackler, can't cover, pure box safety that only tries to lay hard hits.