1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

At what point should we draft for need over BPA?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Oct 11, 2014.

?

When should we draft for need over BPA?

Poll closed Oct 18, 2014.
  1. Never

65.2%
  2. After adding a third all star

16.7%
  3. After upgrading PG and/or PF with non AS player.

5.3%
  4. We should start ASAP, period (2015 draft)

12.9%
  1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Morey always drafts BPA (best player available), which I think makes a lot of sense, as he was attempting to build this team. As we get closer to finalizing the core though, I wonder if we should draft for need, soon.

I know the bpa gives us an asset to flip for what we need, but is that a sure thing? Will our need be available, when we need it to be? At Howard's age, can we afford to wait?

Poll options:

1 Never
    2 After we get a third all star
    3 After upgrading PG or PF (better but not an AS player)
    4 We should start now (2015 draft)

2. ling ling

ling ling Member

The answer is pretty simple.

We draft for need over drafting the BPA when the team drafting below us wants that player. Then we trade down and get the BPA.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Not sure I understand what you're saying. Draft player X, trade to next team, then draft BPA?

4. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

If a player available truly fills the need, I have no doubt Morey would take him.

5. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I'd think if we have the option and need to fill a void we'd trade the pick for an established player that fills the need. If we're that close to filling out the core then you don't have time to wait for a drafted player to mature enough to contribute.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

But under what circumstances? In the next draft, even if the roster is what we have now and no one really improved the two weakest positions?

7. jedicro

jedicro Member

You never take a player you rate as a lesser prospect because he fills a needed position.

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

But again, when is that time? Aren't we close now? Or not close enough, yet?

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Rondo
    Harden
    Ariza
    ?
    Howard

You skip a sweet shooting PF with OK defense to pick the SG with AS potential?

10. mazinger

mazinger Member

11. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

For a contending team, drafts are usually pretty late. I don't think a late draft can really fill the need on a contending team.

So yeah, the choice is Never.

12. prs325

prs325 Member

Reference the 1984 draft

13. showa13

showa13 Member

BPA, if you don't need him you trade him for the best player that feels your need.

14. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

I feel that this is a contradictory question. As some in the thread have mentioned if drafting a young player will they ever really fill a "need".

We were in this situation in 2006. Management pretty much felt that we were in a win now position and needed a certain player. So we drafted Gay pretty high then turned around and filled our "need" with Shane Battier.

When drafting it is assumed a given that any player you draft is down the road help not a play now fill a need guy.

In what situation do we draft for need over BPA? When our need is just bench depth and a player is available that is fundamentally sound. Which would likely be a 4 year college guy that likely is a defensive type big. Someone not really NEEDED for scoring or in dependable situations.

Looking back over recent years and championship teams I don't recall there being many 1st year clutch guys. And even back in 94 with Sam Cassell it took time before he was trusted. It was initially Scotty Brooks off the bench first.

Or maybe I am over thinking it.

But that would be my opinion.

15. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

...and then I thought "Robert Horry"

Ha over thinking it is...

Answer: I just don't know I guess.

16. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Drafting is difficult enough as it is. Drafting for need makes it more likely you will bust. Frequently, by the time a rookie develops, team needs have changed.

17. jedicro

jedicro Member

You plan on starting that rookie his first year? If you want the PF trade back, or you can package the SG with all star potential for a vet PF to fill your need.

18. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I'd say we are close and have need at the 1 and 4. All our picks and drafted rooks are up to be traded to fill those needs when something's becomes available. It's just a questions of what DM wants and can get for those young players and picks.

19. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

20. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

The NBA is not the NFL...A star NBA player can change the outcome of games...A star NFL player may not win even if he is doing everything correctly(refer to Thursday Night and JJ Watt). The NFL requires so many entities to work correctly in order to win. Even if you have a roster of elite level players, you still want the best player...