1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Game 1 loss a wake-up call or death knell for Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

death knell.

Someone please comfort me. I'm tempted on wearing black today.

Thanks for the podcast Clutch.

3. FoOLiSh_AzN

FoOLiSh_AzN Member

Bad game 1 but i still like the rockets chances. Both stars struggled but still had chance to win. But the most concerning thing right now is Pat Beverly's injury, poor guy he plays so hard with so much heart and passion for the game. It will be sad to see the guy on the bench if he can't play.

4. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The game couldn't have gone much worse for us. Losing and losing Beverley at the very end. On the other side you have the healthiest team in NBA history. I'm going through stages of coping right now, and I'm in the "Why us?" phase.

I agree that we will still pull this series out in spite of this loss. But it's tough to see us going much further without Beverley. We weren't going to be winning it all this year anyways, so he needs to get himself right above all else.

Harden and Howard cannot have played worse. Aldridge and Lillard could not have played better. We will pull this series out. And the entire team needs to look over there on that other bench and see the team that took Beverley out on an offensive foul. Don't forget that Mo Williams flagrant on Beverley. They were trying to do this throughout the game. Not intentionally injuring, but trying to rough him up over and over. It's no coincidence that he sustained the injury he did.

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

The Rockets could still win the series if Harden and Howard go off. But losing Beverley(along with giving away Game 1) was a huge blow.

The problem is the Rockets didn't lose last night because of offense. They had 106 points in regulation. They had 120 at the end of OT. They couldn't get stops! Lillard had a wide open lane to the hoop. Aldridge never saw any double team or different defensive looks thrown at him.

Now be honest here. Does anyone, even the biggest Rockets fan and eternal optimist, believe for one second that Kevin McHale and what's left of his staff are capable of making the necessary adjustments to overcome or at least mask these deficiencies? Cuz sitting back and just hoping that your stars play better and Portland's play worse is not a strategy.

6. TheJet

TheJet Member

I was telling myself the same thing last night. Our two horses didn't play well and theirs went nuts. And we were still up 10+ late in the fourth. The massive collapse had me fuming but it wasn't like we were getting dominated all night (aside from Aldridge and Lillard, yikes).

7. dragician

dragician Member

it's a long journey. it was a good message for Dwight to practice his FT shots.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

After all thees years it's about time someone sent him a message to work on his free throws.

:confused:

9. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

How can you get paid millions and not be able to hit a freethrow???

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It feels and looks more like the latter, than the former. I feel Howard will do better than James Harden. It won't be enough.
    I hope the Rockets will prove me wrong.

11. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Neiter a wake up call nor a death knell. Come one guys, these are two teams with the same regular season record and almost a tied head to head record, that battled it out in an epic game, where one team lost by 2 points in overtime.

Several things didn`t go our way, Harden being off, Aldridge playing maybe the best game of his career, the refs being horrible. Other things went in our favor like the number 1 3pt shooting team having an off night and Parsons and Lin coming up big for us. All in all this is just one game, and probably a typical game for this series.

We can live with this loss. But we can`t live with losing the next game. All this game does is make the next game a must win game for us. If we win the next game, the series is wide open. The important thing right now is: find a way to limit LMA. I don`t know if it`s the twin towers, if it`s DMo or maybe Harden (he did a decent job), but we can`t allow him to go off like that again. And Harden needs to show up for the whole next game. He looked tired at the end with horrible plays, if he doesn`t have the endurance, sit him more during the 2nd and 3d quarter.

1 person likes this.
  12. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Game 2 will tell me a lot about the rockets.

They have a lot to prove.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The Rockets were asleep on their knees in the street, Doom called, and they woke up just in time to get run over by a Portland bus, driven by a UT alum and his little ticket taker.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

If we lose Bev... s***.

That loss was too depressing. I won't get over it until we win game 2 and Bev miraculously returns.

15. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

Great comparison with the Jazz series clincher as I felt that way as well especially with the way regulation ended.

Disgusting collapse by the Rockets, I hope they bring their A game in game 2 because we don't deserve another first round exit ffs.

16. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

I had to DVR inside the NBA and after watching the replays....god I hate Lillard:mad:

17. yummyhawtsauce

Before rockets can be true contenders they need to be able to have better defensive play and rotations. Scoring is not an issue, but sharing the ball and making better decisions maybe.

I wanted Harden to get the ball, him shooting and taking the last shot is not an issue for me, but the kind of shots he took were disappointing :(

18. A New Age

A New Age Contributing Member

thank you for this. YES. not the end of the world, but everyone has to step up now in a big way in game 2

19. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Tbh we should of won game 1. It took both of Portlands stars to step it up and beat us by 1.
    H&H played sub par. Mchale once again became his stubborn self allowing LaA to abuse TJones. Asik did a good job on him till the refs took him out. Yeah this is a wake up call. A call that will be answered wed with a blow to Portlands nose.

20. ParsonsBoy

ParsonsBoy Member

Rockets had this game. Unfortunately, they missed some key plays. No biggie.