1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alex Len: The Best Player of the class in next 5-7 years

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by _RTM_, Jun 6, 2013.

1. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

He has the biggest upside in the draft for sure, but he also has a great character, he's smart, he's responsible and his work-ethic is off the charts as same as his talent level and physical gift

[youtube]Fbn5U7aI2Ng[/youtube]

2. Big Red Machine

I'm just not sold.

He doesn't seem to "want it" all the time like you see in most great players.

3. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

I'm high on him as well, but the recent surgery on stress fracture in his ankle had me concerned(out 4-6 months).

He's going to be picked as one of the best in next few years anyway...

4. 713

713 Member

He's also a "big" white guy. Name me the last successful white guy that wasn't international.

5. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

He is international, he's the most promising european player at his age

6. trowa2

trowa2 Member

last year was deep, but this year is the star year!

7. 713

713 Member

lol my bad thought he was another tyler zeller, myles leonard, cole aldrich

Good thing hes ukraine.

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I don't trust his injury history. He would get beat up in the paint by NBA big men.

9. AFS

AFS Member

Len kind of is international.

10. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

Best-case scenario is Zydrunas. He'll make for a good 3rd string center. He's very athletic though. Hopefully the injuries don't limit his agility.

11. AFS

AFS Member

Third-string center? As in not even a rotational player?

12. OrangeRowdy95

I'm just really worried about his history of foot/leg injuries. I don't think he'll fall off the map like so many centers do... but I think he can carve out a career that spans 10 years as a backup/3rd string center.

13. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Kevin Love, Chris Andersen, David Lee, Ryan Anderson. I am sure there are more in the league somewhere

14. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

3rd string is as ridiculous an understatement as "biggest upside in the draft," is an overstatement.

Being a big is certainly upside in itself, but at this point Alex Len has to project similarly to Nikola Vučević. They are very similar in size, and athleticism, but Vučević was clearly the stronger rebounder in college, has a better touch from the FT line, and didn't have the injury concerns coming out of college.

This isn't meant to be a slight, because I think Vučević is one of the few true 5's in the modern league that isn't a drag on his team. In fact, I think he is already on the cusp of top 10, with room to improve. However, the level of hyperbole in the threads' title seems similar to the level in OP's signature. It might be a weak class, but no big with Len's current skillset has developed into the best player of any draft class. Baseless conjecture of a fan.

15. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Chris Kaman, Brook Lopez

16. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

dWHITE Howard...

17. OrangeRowdy95

The hyperbole isn't coming from the poster. These are the words that came out of Len's mouth.

If he can bulk up considerably, stay healthy, and not lose any foot-speed as a result of his injuries, then he'll be a solid backup... maybe even a borderline starter for many, many years.

I personally wouldn't risk it though. I'd rather trade down and take my chances on Zeller, Plumlee, Gobert, Dieng or Olynyk.

1 person likes this.
  18. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

My mistake.

I'd agree with you on not risking it though. I'm not a big fan of Zeller or Plumlee, but there are some others with great potential. Gobert is such an intriguing prospect, even though his offense is that level of raw that makes you wonder how much he's really capable of on that end. Olynyk would be perfect for tempo team like Philly or OKC. Steven Adams is a bit more raw than Len, but shares the size. Their freshman years were very similar as well.

Len's frame certainly looks like it will carry more weight, but I wonder how much of it will be lower body. With a strong 4 next to him, being a full time starter doesn't seem like a stretch. Solid backup is the best bet though.

19. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

reminds me of Roy Hibbert

20. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Hearing that C Alex Len, who visited with <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Pelicans&amp;src=hash">#Pelicans</a> on Friday, is now the likely choice for <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Cavs&amp;src=hash">#Cavs</a> at No. 1 spot in next week's draft.</p>&mdash; Jimmy Smith (@JimmySmith504) <a href="https://twitter.com/JimmySmith504/statuses/346658700360024064">June 17, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Former NBA All-Star big man who's watched numerous draft prospect workouts: &quot;If Alex Len is there, you gotta take him. That includes No. 1.&quot;</p>&mdash; Sam Amico (@SamAmicoFSO) <a href="https://twitter.com/SamAmicoFSO/statuses/346719826565267456">June 17, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>