1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Trade suggestion

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by 45souf, Oct 22, 2014.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Patriots
    Start the Jimmy G Era
    Get some much needed skill position talent
    Get a draft pick

Texans
    Fill their biggest need
    Reunite coach & QB
    Save 2MM in salary

A 1st rounder is kind of steep, but I'd do it.

2. Raven

Raven Member

The goal should be pairing Dre and Brady up, not swapping them. As for the first round pick. God help me, but I'd consider a conditional first round pick - a very conditional first round pick, assuming a deal was done that allowed us to keep Dre. This trade would have to happen right now, though, before the Texans fall further behind.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

This trade isn't about this year for either team. It's about next year and the year after that.

Brady has done more with far less talented guys than Andre, btw.

4. underrated015

underrated015 Member

New England is not trading Tom Brady. Even hoody won't do that.

5. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I would trade them a 1 and clowney

6. GCWTexans

GCWTexans Member

The trade would help out both teams immensely. Unfortunately, Brady has one of the most untradeable contracts. The cap hit to the Patriots would prevent this trade from happening right now. After the season the remainder of Brady's salary becomes guaranteed making a future trade unlikeable as well.

7. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Which is why it would make sense for the Pats to try and get rid of him before all that money is guaranteed which I believe does not give them the option of asking teams for a first rounder.

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

If a player is traded (or cut) his "dead money" counts against the cap. Tom Brady's "dead money" figure for this year is $32.8M. I think they might prorate it during the season so it might "only" cost NE $21.5M to trade him.

9. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Ah. Forgot about that. I was just taking into account his last few years that would be guaranteed.

10. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

What would it take to trade for Garoppolo?

Clowney?

11. Remii

Remii Member

The way Tom Brady has looked this year and last year _ I could definitely see New England shipping him off... But his play hasn't warranted a 1st round pick. Especially not a 1st round pick in the 1st half of the draft plus AJ...

And AJ might not want to go to New England if Brady isn't there and the Texans would have to trade AJ where he's willing to go.

The way Tom Brady has been playing a 3rd round pick and maybe a conditional 2016 pick should get er done IMO...

12. Remii

Remii Member

I'm not a capologist... But let's say hypothetically the Texans traded for Brady at the end of the season (I think there's no chance they would do it during the season) _ how does that hurt the Patriots...?

I know they would have to take a cap hit but it's not cash out of the owners pocket and they could probably still win that division with Jimmy G taking over for Brady. The Patriots could just look at it as Jimmy G taking up that cap space (without having to actually spend the money).

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Brady has 13 TDs and 2 INTs. Completing over 60% of his passes.

How is that a bad year?

14. GCWTexans

GCWTexans Member

It depends on when they trade Brady. At the end of the season, Brady's base salary for the next three years (which adds up to $24 million) is fully guaranteed. Brady's signing bonus of $18 million becomes dead money for 2015. The base salary for the Patriots would not be a problem for the Patriots if Brady is traded. The big fat $18 million in dead money for 2015 is a huge deal.
    If they trade Brady during the 2015 season then the Patriots can move the dead money of $12 million over into 2016.

The issue with Brady's contract down the road is that if he Schaub's out in a year or two your stuck paying the remainder of his salary. Brady's 37 now and his QB skills have show decline this year.

15. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Tom Brady's current age is 37.

Other great all time QB's retirement age.
    Dan Marino 38
    Joe Montana 38
    Steve Young 38
    John Elway 38
    Warren Moon 44 (last solid year he was 41)

Too risky and not worth giving up a #1 pick imo.

16. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

so you wouldnt trade for peyton giving a #1 pick either since he is already 38?

17. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Devier Posey.
    I think what Brady brings to the table first and foremost is hope.
    I refuse to believe AJ's feelings before the season were the only ones among the members of this team.
    One only has to look at what Schaub brought to the team when he had his good form and he isn't a patch on TB - this team is essentially the same now as it was then but with a better defense.

18. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

If they are going to blood a rookie QB, a vet receiver would certainly help.
    The real fly in the ointment for me would be would they risk a trade now and be forced to bring in Garrapolo with a shot at a SB?

19. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Manning is playing great for his age. I'm merely presenting facts that most of the elite QB's are done by 38 and just a shell of their former selves. Given those odds I wouldn't give up a #1 for a QB that I no longer think can carry an offense his shoulders to a Super Bowl for one year of football. A #2 I would consider.

20. rockpileindisma

dont understand why we didnt just draft jimmy