1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

T-MAC Press Conference

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Marylandterps, Jul 4, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Marylandterps

Marylandterps Member

2. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

3. Marylandterps

Marylandterps Member

4. rocket3forlife2

thanks for the video thats why i love to come to this site.we still need some good role player are we want be any better though we just lost 3 good players for 1 .we lost alot of depth but gained a elite superstar.for some reason people think were in the finals all ready why?we need some good role players too thats why the lakers look like crap in the finals.

5. Marylandterps

Marylandterps Member

The Lakers looked like crap because their role players were old and unproductive. If LA had Juwan Howard instead of the broken down Malone & Jimmy Jackson instead of Rick Fox/ Devan "Do nothing" George & Brent Barry instead of Gary Payton they would have won.

I agree we need good role players -- but we are only a couple pieces away. Point and back-up center.

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Why in the world would you want to dump MoT and pick up Etan Thomas? MoT is twice the player Etan is.

I would not mind having Etan on the team but exchanging Mo does nothing to help our team.

7. Marylandterps

Marylandterps Member

Etan is TWICE the defender that Mo is thats why. We dont need Mo's O when we have J. Howard. I live in Washington and catch alot of Wizard games. Etan is the next breakout defender the Wizards let get away. Etan was a Two time Big-East defensive player of the year -- think Ben Wallace, who Washington let walk.

Rip Hamilton
    R. Wallace
    B. Wallace

Were all Wizards at the same time. They dont know what they have until it's gone.

8. Sane

Sane Member

Rasheed Wallace and Rip Hamilton were not on the same Wizards team.

Rip came into the league when Rasheed was with the Blazers. I think 4 years ago.

9. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

Thanks for posting the link. I really wanted to go but couldn't. Watching this was just thrilling, next best thing to being there.

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thnk Howard's abilities are being over rated. I think Mo Taylor is better on O than Howard. Howard has the advantage on D. Etan may have the makings of a solid defender, but he isn't proven. Taylor is someone who'd worked hard to get in shape, made some improvements last year, I'd like to see him stick around unless we are able to get incredible value for him in a trade of some sort.

11. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

I would trade MoT for Etan straight up if given the chance. Mo scores more, but at a less efficient rate. Etan is a MUCH better rebounder, which we need in spades. I also think he is a better defender, but that is obviously subjective.

12. shawn786

shawn786 Member

If you want a better sounding and looking vedio of the press confrence look no further than Rockets2k!

13. Marylandterps

Marylandterps Member

Granted. The point remains -- The Wizards let all three go. Etan will be another talented player they let go. He plays great defense, he's a bruiser, and plays well w/ out the ball. His numbers were also better than Cato's last year.

14. Marylandterps

Marylandterps Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/john_hollinger/07/01/free.agents/index.html

Seller's market
    Expect crazy offers in this summer's free-agent frenzy
    Posted: Friday July 2, 2004 12:09PM; Updated: Friday July 2, 2004 6:51PM

Teams are advised to pursue a hands-off policy with Fisher this summer.
    Nathaniel S. Butler/NBAE via Getty Images

ADVERTISER LINKS
    Bowling Equipment at US Bowling Corp
    New bowling center construction, sales and installation worldwide. New, used and...
    www.usbowling.com

4USAbowling - Low Prices, Great Service
    Bowling balls, bowling shoes and bowling bags at great prices. Complete line...
    www.4usabowling.com

Free Ultimate Inferno Bowling Ball
    Win a free bowling ball. No purchase necessary. Enjoy 20% to 50% off retail...
    www.bowlersparadise.com

Bowl America???s Online Bowling Store
    Bowling balls, bags, shoes and accessories at competitive prices. Frequent buyer...
    www.babowlingstore.com

If you learn one thing about economics, learn this: It's all about supply and demand.

That explains everything you need to know about this year's free agent market. On one hand, the demand is rampant. Seven teams -- the Suns, Spurs, Clippers, Jazz, Nuggets, Hawks and Bobcats -- have enough room under the cap to sign a player to a maximum contract. The supply side, however, is a bit sparse. Only one free agent, Kobe Bryant, is deserving of such a deal, and he comes with the risk that his uniform next season may be an orange jumpsuit.

As a result, at least six teams -- all seven if Kobe stays with the Lakers -- are going to be sitting on a wad of cash and looking for a place to spend it. Expect to see crazy money thrown around at players that aren't worth half of it. Heck, we've already seen it -- five years and $65 million for Steve Nash? Hope the Suns will be paying will off that deal with Canadian dollars.

The second lesson we can take from Econ 101 is that the market responds to these signals, those of a bloated demand. Troy Hudson, for example, spent all last season on the injured list and had ankle surgery in April. Guess who just opted out of his contract to become a free agent? Hudson's agent is no dummy. Even though Hudson has done nothing for 12 months, he figures to get more money in free agency than he did a year ago. Ditto for players such as Bruce Bowen, Derek Fisher and Stephen Jackson, who couldn't opt out of their contracts fast enough.

But in nearly any marketplace, no matter how overpriced, you can still find bargains if you look hard enough. Heck, I once found a cheap meal in Switzerland, and it doesn't get any more overpriced than that place. So with that in mind, let's take a look at a few players in this summer's market who will be overvalued, and some others whom the market is overlooking.

Note that for each player, I've included their per-40-minute averages in points, rebounds and assists, which makes it a lot easier to compare guys with differing amounts of playing time.

(* - restricted free agent)
    Overvalued

1. Steve Nash (17.6 points/40, 3.6 rebounds/40, 10.5 assists/40) -- No. 1 with a bullet after reaching a deal with the Suns that even had Allan Houston giggling. He's a 30-year-old point guard who breaks down every spring and plays no defense, and Phoenix gave him a five-year deal for nearly the max? I can't imagine the Suns will be happy to fork out $15 million five years from now when Nash is 35 and backing up Leandro Barbosa.

2. Marcus Camby (11.5 p/40, 13.5 r/40, 2.4 a/40) -- Camby is looking at $9 million a season as his reward for making it through a year in one piece for the first time since the Mayflower landed. It was the only time in his eight-year career that Camby played more than 63 games. Now the Nuggets, who re-signed Camby to a multi-year deal, have put on the blinders that helped get them through last year, presumably because they think he'll be healthy the next four or five seasons. Better have that team doctor on stand-by.

3. Erick Dampier (15.2 p/40, 14.8 r/40, 1.0 a/40) -- Dampier's numbers from last year are undeniably eye-opening, but they're also massively better than anything he did before. If you think he'll do it again, I've got some land in Saskatchewan to sell you. Paying $10 million a year for a guy who played way over his head in a contract year? Where do I sign up? At least Dampier's a true center and doesn't get hurt, so he's a less appalling risk than Camby.

4. Rasheed Wallace (18.2 p/40, 7.7 r/40, 2.6 a/40) -- Only because somebody will offer him the max, and he's proven that he wants to be one of the guys rather than The Man. You can get "one of the guys" for half this price -- and a better behaved guy at that. Just because Wallace played nice in the final four months of his contract doesn't override the fact that he was a giant hemorrhoid for the preceding eight years.

5. Derek Fisher (13.1 p/40, 3.4 r/40, 4.2 a/40) -- Role players on championship teams invariably are overrated and end up with absurd contracts (think B.J. Armstrong, Devean George, or Luc Longley). Fisher is primed to be this year's example. He opted out of a deal that would have paid him $3 million and presumably will make more, even though point guards who are as good or better (Carlos Arroyo, Damon Jones, Bob Sura) are widely available for much less.

Honorable mention: Troy Hudson, Manu Ginobili, Mark Blount, Rafer Alston, Antonio McDyess
    Undervalued

1. Marquis Daniels* (18.4 p/40, 5.6 r/40, 4.5 a/40) -- I saw a few different lists of the top free agents, and he wasn't on any of them, which is insane. Listen: He was one of the best three or four players on the market. Compare his 40-minute numbers to Nash's. Daniels' numbers are better, he's nearly a decade younger and he's bigger. If Phoenix was going to throw $65 million at anyone, it should have been him. Even those who think Daniels was over his head last season have to acknowledge there's substantial room for improvement, because he still doesn't have a jump shot. His $38 million, six-year deal with the Mavs will be the steal of free agency.

1a. Carlos Boozer* (17.9 p/40, 13.2 r/40, 2.3 a/40) -- Boozer surprisingly became a restricted free agent on Thursday when the Cavaliers didn't pick up his option to play next season at the minimum. It was a clever move by the Cavs, who can now match any long-term offers he receives instead of watching Boozer take off as an unrestricted free agent next summer. It's all but a done deal that Boozer is re-signing with Cleveland, but I have to list him just in case, since he's the best free agent out there after Kobe.

2. Stromile Swift* (19.0 p/40, 9.9 r/40, 1.1 a/40) -- He's stuck in a bad situation in Memphis, playing out of position at center because Pau Gasol is entrenched at Swift's natural power forward spot. But Swift was the No. 2 overall pick in 2000 for a reason. He's taken knocks in the past for his low basketball IQ, but Hubie Brown has helped him considerably in that area. He has crazy hops and can score, rebound and block shots -- he just needs to play.

3. Rodney White (21.9 p/40, 6.7 r/40, 2.4 a/40) -- When he wasn't buried at the end of the Nuggets' bench, White was scoring in bunches. In fact, his per-40-minute scoring rate was nearly as good as Carmelo Anthony's (23.0). His aversion to defense is an issue, but given that White still is only 22, can fill it up and is likely to be had for much less than the mid-level exception, somebody will get a screaming bargain.

4. Brian Cardinal (18.0 p/40, 7.8 r/40, 2.5 a/40)-- Almost nobody is taking Cardinal's breakout season last year seriously, and I'm not sure why. I'll grant that he's unlikely to shoot 44 percent from 3-point range again, but he got to the line so often and made so many hustle plays that it's tough to imagine him suddenly reverting to a scrub. He's way off the radar right now, but he's a better player than many guys who will get the mid-level exception or more.

5. Foreign guys -- Several veteran European players could be making the jump this year, and unlike the Euros from the draft, they're going to help right away. Since many teams focus their European scouts on the draft and don't invest a lot of time eyeing the vets, there could be some real bargains here. Remember these names: Andres Nocioni, a versatile swingman from Argentina; Arvydas Macijauskas, an uncannily accurate shooter from Lithuania; Nikola Vujcic, a soft but effective Croatian power forward; Fabricio Oberto, an Argentine power forward whose haircut is on loan from Prince Valiant; and Luis Scola, another South American stud whose rights are owned by the Spurs.

Honorable mention: Chris Andersen, Zeljko Rebraca, Etan Thomas, Bob Sura, Carlos Arroyo

15. Marylandterps

Marylandterps Member

http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/etanthomas.htm

Etan Thomas
    Birthdate:4/1/78
    NBA Position: Power Forward
    College: Syracuse
    Class: Senior
    Ht: 6-9 (now listed at 6-10 on nba.com)
    Wt: 256
    Hometown: Tulsa, OK
    High School: Booker T Washington
    Team Site Profile

Athleticism: 7

Size: 8
    Defense: 9

Strength: 9
    Quickness: 7

Leadership: 7
    Jump Shot: 5

NBA Ready: 8
    Rebounding: 8

Potential: 7
    Post Skills: 7

Intangibles: 6
    Overall: 87

NBA Comparison: Antonio Davis

Strengths: Perfect size and demeanor to be a pro power forward. Intimidator. Hard nosed rebounder. Great shot blocker. Good post player on both ends of the floor. If he gets the ball in low he's very hard to stop. Great strength and good quickness.

Weaknesses: Limited range. Offensive game needs the most work. Still needs better footwork and better post moves.

16. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Etan Thomas is the Perfect backup to big Yao. His atheletic, Strong and is a demon on the boards and on defense. his the perfect player the rox are looking for to roundout there roster.

17. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

1) You've got it all wrong, Etan Thomas would be the perfect STARTER for us at PF. He is a JVG type player that would bring the nastiness and presence we need on defense from the PF position. He is a combination of a younger Antonio Davis/Brian Grant.

2) Keep dreaming. He's a restricted free agent that Washington has openly talked about retaining. IF, by some unlikely chance we did have a shot at him, he would certainly cost us the entire MLE.

18. Marylandterps

Marylandterps Member

The Rockets Should be able to trade Mo Taylor to Seattle or Washington. Both need backup power fowards that can score and mentor Young developing starters -- Nick Collison & Kwame Brown. If we can sign and trade for one(B. Barry or E. Thomas) - we can use the MLE for the other.

19. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I wish this were the case, but I highly doubt it. If you were Washington, why in God's Green Earth would you want Mo Taylor to "mentor" a developing All-Star in Kwame Brown? So he could teach him to be a one dimensional overpaid pothead? I don't think so. Washington has openly expressed interested in matching any offer Thomas receives, meaning the MLE wouldn't cut it. A sign and trade is possible in Seattle's case but certainly not in Washington's.

20. Marylandterps

Marylandterps Member

Funny. Ok scrap the mentor thing. How about a guy who understanding his 6 man role and not complaining about starting. The Wizards could make the playoffs next year w/ a guy like Mo off their bench. Jared Jefferies and Mo would balance each other off well.