1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[weird observation] record against tiers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rio Rocket, Jan 20, 2016.

1. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

That's interesting bmd. In effect we are just not takin care of business against bad teams this year. Our record versus tier 1's is actually better than last year. So bizarre.

2. alethios

alethios Member

The big difference is that we used to own the East but now we're mediocre at best against East teams.

Could it be because we're "not the same team as last year"?

3. basketballholic

Good post. And it makes a real clear point. We have nothing to look forward to this season unless Morey unloads a pile of these guys and shakes this roster up big time.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Thanks for checking on this. Very interesting how last season the Rockets took care of business on the bottom teams. How it should be, if you are a good team. That "competitive spirit."

Shake up some of the role players and add Thibs. Could do wonders for the team in the future.

5. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Yep - my big frustration with Houston this year is that they don't win the games they're supposed to win. I don't mind them losing to the Warriors, or the Clippers in OT on a back to back, etc... But they lose winnable games.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

So we're playing to the level of our competition half the time?

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yep, I remember last year we beat up on the bad teams. That's why we had good overall teams stats. But we got blown out by the top teams quite a few times.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Tier 1(.600-1.000): Golden State(0-3), San Antonio(1-3), Cleveland(1-1), Oklahoma City(2-2), Toronto(2-0), LA Clippers(2-2)
    8-11

Tier 2(.400-.599): Atlanta(0-2), Boston(1-1), Miami(1-1), Charlotte(1-1), Memphis(2-2), Indiana(1-1), Deroit(0-2), Portland(2-2), Dallas(2-1), Utah(2-2), Chicago(0-2), (Houston), Washington(1-1), Orlando(1-1), Milwaukee(1-1), Denver(0-3), Sacramento(2-1)
    17-24

Tier 3(.000-.399): New York(1-1), New Orleans(3-1), Minnesota(2-0), Brooklyn(0-2), Phoenix(2-0), LA Lakers(3-0), Philadelphia(2-0)
    13-4

3 games left vs. 'tier 3' teams
    2 games left vs. 'teir 2' teams

<PRE> Place Conference Division All-Star Margin Month
    Rk Team Overall Home Road E W A C SE NW P SW Pre Post ≤3 ≥10 Oct Nov Dec Jan Feb Mar Apr
    18 Houston Rockets 38-39 21-17 17-22 13-17 25-22 6-4 3-7 4-6 8-9 9-6 8-7 27-28 11-11 5-7 11-18 0-2 7-9 9-7 9-7 4-6 8-8 1-0</PRE>

9. OTMax

OTMax Member

We are the same as last year against the top so that shows why we are not that different from last year. We were still not elite last year. We are playing worse agains the mediocre and bad teams this year, that seems to be the major difference which is defense. Should've beaten the Jazz & Chicago at home, that would've made this all more bearable though..

10. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

The young guys bring the energy and "The Energy" been sitting on the bench. The starters are mechanical and tired. Bring in the energy like you did yesterday JB. "We didn't bring the energy tonight" slogan all year long...there remedy to this tired BS repeat slogan after losses might be the crew your not using efficiently every night sitting on the bench. Hope you learned a lesson last night. Either way, looking forward to a head coach next year

11. bmd

bmd Member

What this tells me is that this is an effort thing. The players take it easy when they aren't playing a top team.

When they play the top teams, they do give effort and they do have a very similar record against the top teams as they did last year.

They beat the bad teams just because the bad teams are so bad.

But the mediocre teams they do not get up to play. They don't give the effort, and those mediocre teams are good enough to steal wins from them when they don't put forth the effort.

What this team lacks this year is the hunger they had last season. Last season they gave effort because they were hungry. They got to the WCF and just took it easy this year. That's what I think.

Because I felt the same way as a fan. I was completely satisfied with the outcome of last season, and felt the team proved a lot. I didn't feel the team this year had something to prove, and so I wasn't as emotionally involved in watching the games this season as I was last season. The players are human, and I'm sure they felt a similar way.

12. biojayc

biojayc Member

If the analysis is true here (we play fine against good teams) then our record in the playoffs should be fine, no, since we are only playing good teams. The trouble will be getting high enough to not be playing GSW or SAS first round.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

We don't play fine against top teams. We are below .500 against them, 5-5 at home, 3-6 on the road. That means the chances of getting past first round are not very good.

14. Zergling

Zergling Member

And this could've been easily resolved by expanding the bench and CONSISTENTLY playing better defenders more minutes like Capela and McDaniels.

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

calm down, sitting at .500 against all seeds.

1 person likes this.
  16. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I think that suggest inconsistency and internal struggle not based on competition. Basically the talent isn't being utilized properly.

17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

This is like our Hakeem days. Take it easy until the playoffs. Then > Beast Mode!

18. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

#learn2read

19. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Yeah well you gotta make the playoffs in order to go beast mode.

20. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

If we beat the Mavs, it's practically a shoe-in. We'd have the tie breaker against both the Jazz and Mavs, they play each other and they both play tough schedules where as we have a cakewalk after the Mavs game.

Rockets:

@ Mavs
    vs. Suns
    vs. Lakers
    @ T'wolves
    vs. Kings

Jazz:

vs. Spurs
    vs. Clippers
    @ Nuggets
    vs. Mavs
    @ Lakers

Mavs:

vs. Rockets
    vs. Grizzlies
    @ Clippers
    @ Jazz
    vs. Spurs

The Mavs have to play 5 playoff teams. Ouch. We don't have to play any playoff teams because the Mavs are going bye bye.