1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Clippers @ Rockets 12/19/2015

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Howard either committed offensive fouls, turned the ball over, or threw an ugly hook off the glass on most of his offensive possessions early this season. Maybe the offense should be re-tooled to use Dwight in a more effective way, but so far I don't blame the team for not going to Howard for offense, because he has been pretty terrible.

Great defensive player, and still an asset to the team, but it is absurd to say Harden is to blame for the dropoff in Howard's offensive effectiveness. Dwight is just not the same player he used to be.

2. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Early on Dwight would roll to the goal, wide open and Harden would not pass him the ball. Early on Harden was around 3 for 40 from the three point line, so should the team not pass him the ball to? Just like Harden had to find his stroke /rhythm you don't think the 20 million dollar man doesn't deserve to find his? This team will go as far as both Harden and Howard would take them. Both players have to do better offensively and defensively if they want to make it to the Championship.

And I'm blaming him for not getting the big fella involved on a consistent basis. Get him involved early and often, then you get what you seen the other night. Plain and simple big timer.

3. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

LOL. A what?

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

So how long is the positive play going to last? All season I hope?

5. abaker28

abaker28 Member

I think it's the effort more than ability.
    Yes Harden is not a great defender. But if he puts in the effort, that becomes contagious and feeds the entire team. ESPECIALLY when Harden (and Howard) are supposed to be the leaders on this team.
    I agree that everyone is responsible for themselves etc. But if your leaders aren't putting in the effort (especially given what they're paid in comparison) it makes you wonder what the hell and definitely impacts EVERYONE.
    I love both Harden and Howard on our team, but EFFORT like in this Youtube clip is simply unacceptable. I wouldn't \accept this from my boys U10 team let alone the NBA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsK7vv1fjnc

6. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Why do you think I only think Harden?

Harden does deserve most the blame, though

- you wanna bump about being the "real mvp".. then play like it
    - you wanna be a 1-guard... initiate ball movement and keep your bigs happy

#786 Houstunna, Dec 20, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  7. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Hardens defense was actually pretty underrated last year (yes I'm being serious) when you factor in he had to do more with less than every superstar in the game last season. He had a top 4 record in the NBA with his defensive stud and 2nd best player out half the year. His defensive pg missed a lot of time through out the year and he was shuffling players in and out of the rotaion besides himslef and Ariza.

Factor all that in and he still had a top 20 defnsive rating while also being the best offensive weapon in the league (most win shares) and was very effecient (27.5 PER)

It's inpossible to play elite on both sides all year but what Harden did was about as well as anyone can do besides LeBron.

Go watch Westbrook he constantly makes mistakes on defense. Butler gets burned on back door cuts from time to time.

What im getting at is every great player gets killed and makes bone head mistakes. I think what harden is bad at is not the defense but the effort were to often he gets caught just giving up.

I think Zach Lowe or some other ESPN writer actually came out and said Hardens defense was actually underrated, Because the raw numbers as well as the advanced stats showed he was better than avg.

This year he's bad again but the clippers game he showed the effort and tenacity of last season, here's to hoping he keeps it up.

And you are right Ariza did say this team follows JH and DH. That when their playing hard that it's inpossible for the rest of the guys to not follow and play hard themselfs.

It's all starts with JH and to a lesser degree DH ( he typically plays hard just makes mistakes JH won't becaue frankly JH is a better player and very very talented on the offensive side in ways not many have ever been) but you know this already.

8. smileandnod

smileandnod Member

You can't blame 1 person for this team's lake of effort defensively this year. But when there is an effort problem, and the team leader harden is the worst one, then that's a problem. Great players make their teammates better by demanding excellence from them, then rewarding them by setting them up for success in the game.

I remember Jordan and others going through that transition process from just being a great scorer to a great leader.

So I think it unfair to blame harden, but he also the only one who can pull us out of this. I'm a Dwight fan, but we aren't going to be able to ride him like we do harden.