1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Casey Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by jbasket, Mar 13, 2013.

?

Was James Casey Awesome?

Poll closed Apr 12, 2013.
  1. Mamma, there goes that man!

20.5%
  2. Good at many jobs, on and off the field

48.7%
  3. Expendable and Mediocre, like a recent ex-girlfriend

28.2%
  4. I would rather have a Kardashian as FB/TE

2.6%
  1. jbasket

jbasket Member

2. the shark

the shark Member

Seems like a nice guy.

How in the world he ever dropped that pass on the opening drive against NE is beyond me.
    Catches it.....maybe it winds up being a different game.

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Honestly, a Chip Kelley offense with him could be a great fit. While I hate losing him, I wish him the best of luck. It's tough to lose a versatile player like him.

4. jbasket

jbasket Member

Everybody on the Texans said he had the best hands, and that is the only drop I have ever seen from him. Nobody is perfect.

We could of had so many matchup problems with him as fullback. One, people don't gameplan around a fullback, so he can get loose easier and he can catch and run. Two, with him lined up at fullback with Foster as H-back and dual TE's, we could power run, play-action, or just pass. We would be unpredictable, and therefore deadly. It would also mask our problems at receiver, because only AJ would be on the field. I never saw that potential be realized this year though.

5. jbasket

jbasket Member

I agree totally, and although we couldn't afford to give him that contract, I am sure he will justify it, unlike other recent Eagle's FA signings. Heck, we might see him at QB for a play or two under Kelley's offense.

6. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

He got all the appreciation he needs in Philadelphia. Congrats on his new deal.

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Thank you, James Casey. Houston Texans and Rice fans thank you for your contributions. :eek:

1 person likes this.
  8. smr6

smr6 Member

Was a good piece for this team, but hopefully we go back to a traditional FB now.

9. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I liked him, wish we could have kept Casey. But with Gram and OD, was hard to keep.

10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow. That's a pretty rich deal. Good for him.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I believe that Kubiak did not use him near enough, and we will miss him a lot.

DD

1 person likes this.
  12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Glad for him. Also glad he's gone. Tired of listening to fans whine about his lack of usage.

He was serviceable at several things but excelled at none, and if he did, we didn't use him in a role where he could excel. We wound up with an above average guy that literally seemed to just get the job done (not in a good way), never produced impact plays on a regular basis.

He's a perfect piece for a complex, aggressive offensive system with wrinkles (like Sproles in NO, Sproles would be misused by most teams). He had no place in our approach, just give me a guy that is an exceptional blocker or a pass-catcher we simply lineup at TE 70% of the time. It was almost as if Casey's diversity made Kubiak scratch his head just enough trying to find clever ways to use the guy that I imagine we wasted time in practice tinkering instead of getting better. Glad he is gone, especially at that price.

I'm 95% certain you guys like him because he's from Rice and can do multiple things (albeit, not all that well) -- "ooooh, aaaah, why don't we put that there Casey at QB, ooo, aaaaah, why don't we have any 4TE sets with that there Casey lining up at RB then motioning out to WR then coming back in to play QB, ooooh, ahhhh, that there Casey I tell you what." -- that's you guys for the past 2-3yrs.

13. jbasket

jbasket Member

On the contrary, I really liked him because he had a great work ethic. Kubiak told him that his best chance to succeed was at FB, so he gained 20 lbs IIRC for the position. Not many guys would accept the position change or work so hard to be successful at it as well. There is nothing wrong with versatility as well, adding wrinkles to an offence is always valuable.

14. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

funny how Chip Kelly found him...and saw that he was underutilized...Kubiak is gonna be upset...when he finds out how much better Casey will play when he plays his true position...The Texans shouldve looked to trade Owen Daniels for picks, and Tried to have Casey and Graham take over at the TE position...

Thank you Casey for all the hardwork you have put in this organization...best of luck in your career in Phili

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

^
    Casey isn't as good of a TE as OD or Graham.

Plus, OD wouldn't have netted any picks of great value...e.g. Look at bolden going for a 6th pick.

I don't think anyone will be surprised when James puts up some decent yardage in Philly. But, with that being said, he could only get so many touches here in Houston based on how this team is designed. Between Arian, AJ and OD...there just isn't that much meat left on the bone.

16. Summer Song Giver

i wish they would have played him at TE more (exclusively) he was never utilized out of the back field much anyway, a protype lead blocker was better suited for the duties he was asked to do.

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This excuse gets used a lot, but it just doesn't hold up. Other teams know how to utilize more than 3 players on offense effectively.

Edit: Particularly when OD isn't a dynamic playmaker, Andre is getting older and Arian's production wasn't special at all last year. (2osomething in YPC, not a dynamic pass catcher, etc.)

The Texans offense is stagnant.

1 person likes this.
  18. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

He will be missed. I remember reading his story earlier this year about his struggle with money and such earlier in his life. Glad to see his hard work pay off, and now he's getting paid.

1 person likes this.
  19. jbasket

jbasket Member

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Texans aren't in position to add wrinkles. It's not their MO for one, on the other hand, wrinkles are usually reserved for offenses that are already functioning at a high-level. Once you have that momentum, then you can start adding the cherries on top.

Work ethic? Meh. By all accounts Jacoby Jones seemed to be the hardest working athlete in Houston.