1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HoustonTexans.Com] Bengals will not match the offer sheet for WR Kevin Walter

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rikesh316, Mar 18, 2006.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/news_detail.php?PRKey=2449

The Texans already have one big target in their receiving corps. On Saturday, they added another.

The Cincinnati Bengals announced that they would not match the offer sheet for restricted free agent Kevin Walter. The Bengals initially had tendered Walter an offer at his “draft status” level, meaning that the Texans will have to compensate Cincinnati with a 2006 draft pick in the seventh round—the same round Walter was selected in the 2003 draft.

Walter, 6-3, 214, will join Andre Johnson (6-3, 219) to give the Texans one of the largest receiving tandems in the NFL. With Pro Bowler Jerome Mathis also in the mix, the Texans will have a young, but immensely talented, trio of wideouts.

Entering his fourth pro season, Walter has been stuck behind Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh in Cincinnati. Along with 2005 third-round pick Chris Henry, the Bengals had one of the most crowded groups of receivers in the league last year.

Despite that fact, Walter delivered career highs in catches (19), receiving yards (211) and touchdowns (1) this past season. He also proved to be a solid blocker in the Bengals’ 11th-ranked rushing offense, and was one of the team's best special teams players.

The 255th overall pick by the New York Giants out of Eastern Michigan, Walter was waived by New York at the end of his rookie training camp. The Bengals acquired him on waivers, and Walter was on the practice squad for five games before being activated to the 53-man roster. He caught three passes for 18 yards in 2003, and followed that performance with eight grabs for 67 yards in 2004.

Walter is the fourth free agent that the Texans have signed. Last weekend, the Texans agreed to contracts with defensive end Anthony Weaver (Baltimore Ravens), quarterback Sage Rosenfels (Miami Dolphins) and fullback Jameel Cook (Tampa Bay Buccaneers). The Texans also re-signed unrestricted free agent offensive lineman Fred Weary on Feb. 16.

The Texans now have seven picks in the upcoming NFL draft. They will select in the first round (1 st overall), second round (33 rd overall), twice in the third round (65 th and 66 th overall) and once each in the fourth (95 th overall), fifth (129 th overall) and sixth rounds (161 st overall).

2. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

From what I hear, this is his break out year or the year his potential hits REALITY WALL. And find out if the pill to swallow is sour or sweet.

None of this waiting 4 years to see where he'll be then.

Make or break season. Is he really a solid 2nd or 3rd wide out?

3. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

He's not a #2 yet, but I'm intrigued.

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Walter isn't a 2nd wide out, but he could be a good 3rd option if we can get add Burleson or Walker. An AJ/Walter/Mathis combo would be worst than AJ/Gaffney/Bradford IMO.

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Nice, he reached a career high in TD's this past season!!

In all seriousness, I like this move. He will get his opportunity and hopefully he can be a reliable player on the field.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

the guy is a 7th round pick. barring something extremely odd, i won't be excited about who we take in the 7th round this draft, in all likelihood.

i was really hoping the Texans...a team that needs to address talent at nearly every position on the field...would be a much bigger player in the free agent market. Kevin Walter isn't what I had in mind. neither is Dr. Sage Rosenrosen.

7. ktvoss

ktvoss Contributing Member

Of course you wouldn't be happy with ... anything. :rolleyes:

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yep, you know ol' pessimistic MadMax!

Please, ktvoss, give us any reason why we should give the benefit of the doubt to Charlie Casserly and this team when it comes to personnel decisions. Instead of making a real offer to a real 2nd receiver, we're stuck trying to spin signing the Kevin Walters and Sage Rosenfels ($7 million...WTF?!?!?!) of the world.

9. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I'd think that they plan to bring Walters in as a #3 receiver (since we don't have one) and hope to get someone at the caliber of Burleson as a #2. I'd be happy if we came away with Walters and Burleson as our free agent WR's, but getting Nate might be a longshot.

10. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

There is no way that the first trio mentioned could be any worse than AJ-CB-JG. CB is the worst offender because he will take a 5-10 yd slant to the house but then drop key passes on third downs. These are balls that hit him in the hands. There was a game this past season, against the Browns, the announcer actually said, "The Browns don't even have to defend CB, he is defending himself with all the dropped balls". Mathis is down right frightening with his speed. I would line him up twice a game and have him run a streak and have DC throw it as far as he can. If it gets intercepted so what it would be like a punt, but I guarantee the safety will quite rolling towards AJ when JM is in the game.

11. stevel

I don't care for Casserly, but whom did you want them to try to get? Did you want them to overpay Antwan or Givens? Both would have been nice additions but not at the contracts they received. Besides maybe the top guys simply wanted to go elsewhere. I am hoping we can get Burleson. I would rather have a stud TE anyway, they are harder to defend. Maybe Lewis will fall to us in the 2nd.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You've got to do something. I think overpaying Givens would've been worth it if you're not going to get Burleson. They have to go all out to get that guy.

If they go into this offseason with Walters/Mathis/Armstrong/draft WRs opposite of AJ, he's going to rape us in the contract talks. He will know that there is absolutely no way we can let him go. Burleson, IMO, could be the most crucial free agent left for our offseason.

I'm with you on a TE. I do think Putzier would be exponentially better than what we had last year, but that's not really saying much. I would really start getting excited about this team if we go into training camp with:

AJ/Burleson/Putzier/Bush/Davis/Walters

I'm still hoping that a good chunk of our OL problems was coaching and it sounds like Cook could also make a big difference at FB.

13. stevel

I think Armstrong and JG are very similar players so to me thats a wash. CB's main assets is speed, and JM has that in spades. The thing that is intriguing with Walter is his size. Hopefully he can become another version of Ed McCaffery.

Cook is a good FB, and he catches the ball very well so that should be a giant help. I think the Oline probs were a combo of coaching and not utilizing the talent properly. I can't believe they ever moved Pitts to guard. He played very well in his second year at LT, and even last year he played very well. Wade is a big problem at RT, maybe Wand can play there. he did fine against a bull rush but speed gave him some trouble. LEs are typically big strong guys.

Here's to hoping NB chooses to play here!

14. gucci888

Like I said, Gaffney/Bradford weren't the best receivers in the league last season, Bradford was downright terrible. With that said, Gaffney alone is better than Mathis and Walters.

As for Mathis, he could be a good 3rd option WR, but there is no way he could be a 2nd option w/ Walters being our 3rd or vice versa, we need another go-to WR. Yes, Mathis has the speed, but that's about it. Having him run streaks is good but what is he going to do when it's 3rd and 8?

I like Mathis and I'm hoping that he can succeed at WR just like you. But there is a reason why guys like Jermaine Lewis and Dante Hall didn't develop into good receivers, it takes more than speed to succeed.

15. rezdawg

The reason is that those guys are midgets. How many stud WRs in the NFL are short? Steve Smith comes to mind, but even he is taller and faster.

You wont succeed as a WR when you are 5'7", no matter how fast you are.

16. gucci888

Good point. But you would think guys with that kind of speed (Lewis/Hall) would be able to absolutely destroy DB's with their speed, especially on streak routes. You must be able to block, run precise routes, and obviously have great hands.

I love Mathis and think that he is one of the better draft picks we have gotten, but I just think that Mathis is a little raw to be our 2nd option at WR.

#16 gucci888, Mar 19, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2006
  17. rezdawg

I agree that he may be a little raw right now, so being a 2nd option is too much of a reach at this point. However, I like what he brings to the table and I think he can eventually develop into a solid receiver.

18. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Hello? Not just Smith, but what about Lee Evans. Santana Moss, Deion Brach. Maybe not 5'7", but you got killer speed and you can be a force at under 6 foot.

Little brother Moss very well might be the Texans #2, they should take him if he is there.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i don't even know what to say to this!!! :D

i had season tickets for the first two seasons. i've been as big a homer for the Texans as there has been. the team absolutely imploded. i know, i know...if they had really played hard or had a couple of good breaks they would have won a whole 5 games last season!! swell.

i can't believe we're sitting here talking about whether we should have overpaid givens when you gave freaking dr. sage rosenrose the kind of money you did! the player you hope NEVER touches the field to begin with. yeah...use that money on givens and promote the QB you took early in the 2nd draft after taking one in the first round of your first draft. or is he another wasted pick, too?

let's just call it what it is. the track record of this franchise in identifying and developing talent has been below average. i have no faith in the braintrust that's making the picks. i'm HOPEFUL that the new coaching staff will have enough influence to reign in charlie...but listening to the guys on sports radio, it doesn't sound like he'll truly be reigned in enough, for my tastes. sounds like he's pretty much the man in control still.

20. rezdawg

uhhhh....whoever said anything about receivers not being good unless they are 6 feet? I was referring to Jermaine Lewis and Dante Hall. They are both in the 5'7" range...their speed is negated by their lack of highth. There is a huge difference between someone who is 5'7" and someone who is 5'10"...more than the 3 inches that separates them standing back-to-back.