1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

GM wants Teddy, HC wants Clowney, Owner wants Manziel?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Sydeffect, Apr 11, 2014.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

It just feels like he doesn't have the drive of, let's say Barr or Mack. It's always something.
    He didn't push himself during his last season for some strange reason. There was some excuse for that. The other two played like there was no tomorrow their entire college careers.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's nothing but an old and tired trope. If you watch the film, you see the effort. I've yet to see anyone come up with a play where he was really mailing it in, usually when people try to come up with something, they'll show like one random play during a long drive in the 4th quarter where he's gassed (of course they don't show the next play after he's gotten his breath where he eats the O line and makes a play) or a play where he's got 2 gap responsibility so he's not able to fire into a gap and stop an outside run...of course neither of those situations are actually showing him taking a play off, but hey at least they try right?

I have yet to see anyone who breaks down film point out flaws related to effort or drive, now I've seen other flaws pointed out in those film reviews, but we're not talking about legitimate knocks on his game right now, only the "effort" rumor.

As to him not doing individual workouts, wasn't RAC basically on the field helping him do his pro day workouts? He's sort of already done an individual workout for the Texans, and as the top overall prospect in the draft, he doesn't really have a need to do any more.

Finally, as to Mack and Barr, they simply aren't the same caliber of player as Clowney. Put them in a situation like Clowney was this year and they'd disappear completely firstly because neither of them can actually play DE, and secondly because both of them are just speed rushers, if they had the kind of attention that Clowney had, they'd be stopped at the line almost all of the year.

How about watching this tape just for fun, is this Khalil Mack Vs Baylor, or is it a Baylor highlight reel? Hard to tell.

3. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Bobby, do think he came into the season out of shape?

4. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

my exact thoughts.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I think so, at least a little bit. I'm not close enough to the situation to know if it was really caused by him being sick like everyone claims for if it was because of something else (laziness) though. We can only speculate, but he got in shape pretty quickly and they rode him pretty hard all season long.

If we assume that he was lazy during the off-season and that's why he was out of shape to start the year, that would be a legit knock on him, but the Texans do have his old strength and conditioning coach and a strong core of leaders and his old friends on the team to keep him in check. That said, I'd be a lot more concerned about it if it had ever happened before that situation or if he didn't whip himself into shape really quickly. I'm more worried about the bone spurs he's been dealing with than I am any effort or heart questions.

6. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

I'm also skeptical about the game he was out and the report was he basically told Spurier an hour before game time that he was going to sit the game out. Apperantely was a bit of a shock to Spurier. He might have later recanted his story.

I'm not saying these are reasons not to take him or he won't be good, just causes for concern.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh there certainly are causes for concern, they just usually aren't what people usually go to when talking about Clowney. The "drive" "heart" "effort" "love of the game" BS is pretty weak, and often ruins an otherwise legitimate post. When people bring up the bone spurs, lack of coverage ability, and some specifics about his technique they are bringing up legitimate concerns even if they aren't on the level of a deal breaker. My only complaint is when they go the lazy route and repeat the old tired tropes.

8. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I'd be lying if I said I wasnt annoyed, haha.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Listen to your coach, Bob. You paid the man's buyout for a reason.

11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I really don't think you can go wrong with either or.

If the Texans feel that any of the top 3 QB's will be there at 2:1, than you take Clowney.

Manziel has the "IT" factor. His floor is good enough to get the Texans in the playoffs IMO!

Clowney seems like a sure fire pro bowler, but Manziel has that ceiling that screams superstar. A superstar QB is more important than a superstar DE!

See JJWATT/Pey Manning!

12. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

And the fans want a Championship!

13. Remii

Remii Member

This sounds like a cluster duck. I'm worried about the future of this organization more so than I already was. Not being on the same page so close to the draft is a bad sign.

The arrow is pointing up for Indy and Jacksonville. Good front office people and good coaches. The Texans better get it together.

14. tmacfor35

Hard to know at this point if they are or aren't.

Sources are sources and sometimes, they are wrong!

15. Remii

Remii Member

Another example. See Kaepernick and Aldon Smith. Kaep isn't a super star and he's still more important than Smith.

Here's another example J.J. Watt and Matt Schaub. If your quarterback is garbage your defense can only do so much.

Buffalo has an EXCELLENT defense and they are drafting in the top 10.

Cleveland is full of pro bowlers and they're drafting in the top 5. St Louis has a very good defense and they're drafting in the top 10-13.

A consistently "good" quarterback is more valuable than a super star DE. People focus too much on rather these quarterbacks will be super stars when the Texans just need them to be better than Schaub.

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

The other side of th coin is that a good defense makes a QB look better. How would Kaepenick, Wilson, and Dalton look without a good defense? The cardinals won 10 games last year. And it was totally because of the defense.

17. Remii

Remii Member

You're asking me an irrelevant question because those teams had good defenses for years but weren't winning until they got those quarterbacks (in San Francisco's case Harbaugh).

And Bruce Arians is a darn good offensive minded head coach. Those 10 wins were not won all with defense.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The other side of the coin is that without the defense, it doesn't matter what the QB is doing. The Ravens almost made it to the playoffs with worse production from the QB position than the Texans last year, why? Defense and special teams. The Texans completely squandered Matt Schaub's best years because of an awful defense. Remember New Orleans the year that Drew Brees broke the (at the time) QB passing yards AND completion % records in the same year? What happened to them? They ran into a defense in the playoffs and it was over. Hell one year Brees threw for over 5100 yards and 43 TD's and the Saints didn't even make the playoffs....didn't even have a winning record. Remember when Peyton Manning broke the single season passing yards record? Yeah that was last year, why didn't his team win the SB? They ran into an amazing defense.

1 person likes this.
  19. tmacfor35

Yes, but those players(notably keep/Wilson) can make enough plays to keep there good defense rested. You def need both to win a ship, but if the Texans feel that there QB isn't going to be at 2:1, than take the QB.

20. Raven

Raven Member

Agreed