1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Obamacare Status Report

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Jan 23, 2014.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ignorance combined with arrogance.

2. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I'm willing to give Mr. Wiggins a pass as he just doesn't seem to know better but honestly you should.

Yoga, gym membership and eating right won't save you from an accident. Let's say your spotter accidentally let's the bar slip while you are benching and you break a rib. You're probably going to be wishing you had insurance then.

This has been one of the biggest problems with our healthcare system that we even need a mandate to get people to sign up for something they should have anyway.

3. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck...

I was completely healthy until I got cancer at age 30. If I didn't have health insurance, I would have been bankrupted.

You, sir, are a complete dumbass.

4. Major

Major Member

If you had just eaten right and worked out a lot, you could have avoided cancer, it seems.

5. Baba Booey

I was captain of my high school wrestling team for two years and weighed 112-119 lbs!

My testicle turned into an almond anyway...

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No it won't. And I know many people who have broken a rib and not gotten treatment for it. I fell down the stairs late last year and broke my foot. An x-ray would have cost about $400 alone. So I didn't get it and just pulled out an old walking boot I had from a long time ago and used that.

It's not people like him that is creating the problem. That's the biggest misinformation out there. It's the ridiculous costs for medical care. And our elected officials don't have the guts to actually deal with this issue.

I agree everyone should have medical care. But it's crazy to force people to pay an amount that seriously impacts their standard of living. Health insurance should not cost an arm and a leg. For those who don't get subsidized coverage or coverage through their employers, it's a real issue.

And I feel that instead of scolding people like myself or Andrew - maybe they should think of a better solution to the problem. (hint hint single payer).

7. Baba Booey

You will get no argument from me against single payer.

Obamacare is not perfect by any stretch, but at least it's a starting point. It took 60 years to take the first step. We should be able to correct the problems the first step causes a lot quicker.

8. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I hope you've seen some posts of mine in the D&D before that one... I was being facetious. Andrew Wiggins strikes me as another Eddie Winslow, so he isn't interested in actual debate.

9. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Maybe I'm being naive, but the income limit for getting a subsidy is 45k for a single person. Does a $350 monthly payment impact your standard of living? Are you self-employed? If so, this is tax deductible as well.

10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes I agree single payer is a good idea but you are letting the perfect be the enemy of the good. In the meantime though it still makes sense to get insurance.

It's your life but if you want to risk arthritis, infection and other chronic problems that may happen from not setting broken bones right go ahead. That just means you will be taxing the healthcare system more later on. Besides a broken bone there are lot of other injuries and accidents that can occur. Gyms are one of the places where accidents happen along with infections ranging from athletes foot to Legionaire's disease. So yes it's a good thing to work out and stay healthy but that doesn't mean you are completely protecting yourself from the need for health care.

11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

This. I am owner of a small company and also do other work on the side. My health insurance is deductible.

12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Massachusetts liberal congressman says regarding Obamacare: "The worst is yet to come....it's going to hit the fan"
    --------------
    Massachusetts representative Stephen Lynch isn’t just worried about the negative impact Obamacare will have on his party’s performance this fall — he also thinks its worst effects on our health-care system are still to come. Lynch, who voted against the Affordable Care Act in 2010, warned that the situation is “going to hit the fan” when the law’s delayed provisions go into effect down the road.

“There are parts of Obamacare, or the Affordable Care Act, that were postponed because they are unpalatable,” he told the Boston Herald. The “Cadillac tax” that goes into effect in a few years and taxes employer health plans over a certain value, he said, will be “the first time in this country’s history that we have actually taxed health care.”

Repeal is now impossible, he says, because of the number of Americans who’ve signed up for the law’s exchanges. Democrats will take big political hits on the law this fall anyway, Lynch said.

“We will lose seats in the House,” he said. “I am fairly certain of that based on the poll numbers that are coming out from the more experienced pollsters down there, and I think we may lose the Senate.”

http://www.nationalreview.com/corne...son?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

13. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Current Status:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8qrriKcwvlY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[​IMG]

14. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

infowars

*snicker*

People have been saying for months Democrats would lose seats and possibly the senate. This is not news.

What is news is that the tide is turning.

#554 mc mark, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Sure enough there are more than 6 months to the election, but what makes you say this?

16. mc mark

In six months we have insured 25% or more of the 48M uninsured in the country. Projections are showing we will be well past 24M by 2016. By the next election we could have cut the uninsured in this country by half.

That is amazing!

The box is open.

17. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

18. mc mark

grouchyoldcripple.com?

Please don't ever comment on ThinkProgress again.

Care to comment on my post?

#558 mc mark, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

$350 premium is a lot per month. NYC is not an inexpensive city. $50k is nothing here.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

It is a risk. And like I said I will likely get it soon. But in the meantime I am crossing my fingers nothing catastrophic happens.