1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Jeremy Lin's race still a handicap? (rational responses only please)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Geronimo, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

This is not a "McHale is a racist!" thread nor am I a LOF, far from it, I've been harsh on Lin in many posts, I've been a Rocket fan since I was like 10 and didn't even follow Linsanity until he came to Houston. I don't believe for a second that McHale is racist whatsoever, but he obviously doesn't trust Lin as his starting PG nor does he think very highly of him (not of him as a person, but as a basketball player). That I think everyone on this board can agree with, regardless if you're a LOF or LOH.

Although I've made it clear McHale isn't racist by any means, the possibility that Lin's race could have something to do with his benching can't be completely ignored. And as much as Lin homers get on my nerves, his critics that are ignorant and can't even do basic research are even worse. Let's look at the facts:

- Lin leads his high school team to a state championship and is named North California D2 Player of the Year. Zero scholarships and a lot of D3 schools wouldn't even look at him. His own Harvard assistant coach said Lin was a D3 player.

- Lin has an outstanding college career, drops 30 against lottery pick, Kemba Walker and UConn, and is one of 11 finalists for the Bob Cousy Award, an award given to the country's best point guard. Goes undrafted.

- So after he gets his shot in New York, we all know he puts up record breaking and historic numbers, and averages 23 and 9 his first 13 starts. Yet after his first bad game against Miami, instead being a 23 year old PG with a huge upside, everyone was quick to analyze him like he was a 36 year old finished product.

- When Mike Woodson became the coach, the media even questioned if Lin should still remain the starter. Larry Brown calls him a back up. I have never ever seen a player get analyzed like Lin before. I find it VERY HARD to believe that an athletic black or white, 23 year old PG that averages 23 and 9 his first 13 starts, would get viewed as a career back up by many "experts".

Is it possible that McHale doesn't trust Lin because of his race, not because McHale is racist, but because of what Lin has gone through his entire life, and that is having his abilities being doubted because of his race? Also, keep in mind Lin was known to be a very good practice player in New York, and I think Melo was the one that encouraged the coaches to play him. We're still not used to Asian PG's in this league (hell, even the Asians that play with us during pick-up games never run point), and that could factor in McHale's decision to stick with Beverley.

Before anyone brings up Yao Ming, it is not the same at all. When you're a 7'6" skilled center, it doesn't matter if you're Asian or purple, you're gonna be a scout magnet. Even talentless Sun Mingming got some NBA looks. Shawn Bradley was the same size as Yao, but not nearly as skilled, and was one of the best prospects in the country.

I realize Lin isn't a superstar nor do I think he will ever be a superstar, but he has established himself to be at least an above average starter with great upside, yet he's getting pulled for Patrick Beverley, who's been with the team for a few weeks. Don't get me wrong, I love having Beverley as a back up and definitely want to resign him, love his energy and defense, and although I don't think Lin is miles better than Beverley, Lin has earned his starting PG spot. It's almost like even after what Lin has accomplished, McHale's PG spot is still by committee. Every time McHale gets questioned about pulling Lin, it's either "defense" or it get brushed off, and isn't Lin statistically our second best defender?

Now I've noticed that most of the veteran members here are hesitant to criticize McHale's benching of Lin, and I wonder if that's because they truly support McHale's decision and think Beverely is the better player or it's because being critical of a coaching decision is a big no-no for one's reputation here. Even if you are self-conscious about coming off as an armchair quarterback, I'd like to hear your honest opinion over beating the bush. And if you're a LOF, please give a rational response instead of jumping straight to "McHale is a racist!"

1 person likes this.
  2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Jeremy Lin's race is only an issue if you also believe things like Adelman didnt play "star potential" Terrence Williams because of some underlying hatred for players with Williams in their last name. As Adelman also supposedly would not free Derrick Williams until injuries forced him to.

3. glitch273

glitch273 Member

Even if McHale believes Beverley is better than Lin, is Beverley that much better that he plays for 15 STRAIGHT minutes in the 3rd and 4th quarter? Even Harden has to sit after one quarter.

Is Lin that bad that a tired Beverley is better than a fresh and rested Lin?

4. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

It used to be a significant handicap, but it isn't so much anymore.

Melo and JR Smith made obnoxious comments on his contract and about him that would never be said about other players.

He's got a rabid fan-base which has caused problems like Friedman getting spammed with hate which caused him to broach the subject with Parsons and plead for sanity. That must be quite difficult to deal with.

He's been 'targeted' by players like Deron Williams and Raymond Felton but it's arguably not due to his race but the status he achieved in his brief stint with the Knicks.

There may be players who passively think "I don't want to be schooled by him/ I want to school him" because of his race but at this point there's no substantial evidence to indicate it's held true at the NBA level so anything here would just be speculation.

I don't think McHale hates Lin because of his race, that's silly. But he definitely isn't confident in him as his PG.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Hmmm interesting forum join dates for some posters...

No I don't think being Asian has anything to do with his role on the Rockets or relationship with McHale. The Rockets clearly were not racist when they gave him 25 million over 3 years.

6. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

And whoever is twitter spamming Morey/ Friedman needs to cool it. SMH. At least tweet them about rationale points not "MCHALE IS RACIST!".

7. instar

instar Member

Is it possible Mchale dosen't trust lin becuz he doesn't think Lin's good enough?!
    nah, It has to be about his race. sure.

8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I have a hard time believing race is the issue. It was more evident in the way Yao was refereed than anything I've seen with Lin. Also, why are we talking about race? He's just a solid basketball player. He deserves to start and he deserves to see the bench when he's turning the ball over and shooting ill advised shots.

Jimmy Cannon said it best when said of Joe Louis that "he is a credit to his race, the human race". Jeremy Lin is a credit to his race, the human race.

9. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

Read the full post, I never said McHale was racist, I said there could be a possibility that Lin's abilities are being doubted because of is race, big difference. I don't understand why some people find that ridiculous, it's followed him his entire life, Lin tore it up in high school and college, he wasn't a scrub back then lol. Tears it up his first year as a starter, still being doubted.

Because because Morey and Les gave him 25 million doesn't mean McHale was on board with it.

10. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

Why is it so hard to believe his abilities are being doubted because of his race when it was already like that for him in high school and college?

11. glitch273

glitch273 Member

I think everyone can see that McHale has no confidence in Lin as a point guard.
    This makes me wonder if Lin has some kind of starter guaranteed in his contract that McHale is forced to start Lin but goes to Beverley/Douglas in the 4th quarter and overtime.

It doesn't matter what McHale says, it through his actions. How many times has Toney Douglas or Beverley played in the 4th quarter because of their energy or supposed defense?

Answer: Frequently enough that McHale does not believe Lin is his best point guard.

12. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

Maybe it is something else, or nothing at all. But I don't think race has got to do with it.

I feel this thread will not end well :grin:

13. Nook

Nook Member

If McHale is doubting Lin's ability because his race... Well that is racist and you are in effect calling McHale racist.

Lin is third on the team in minutes so he isn't like he is playing 20 minutes a game. I also don't agree with your premise Lin has proven this year to be an above average starter. When he is on he is very good and is talented.

McHale has played Lin as much or more than Sampson did.

14. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

Because there's been no evidence to suggest that he's being doubted due to his race?

If you make a claim the burden of proof is yours.

But yes, I think it would be fair to say that Lin's abilities are being doubted by McHale and it is unusual because Lin plays similarly to Lowry and especially Dragic.

1 person likes this.
  15. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

No it's not, I'm sure McHale adores Lin as a person. You are in effect calling just about every scout, coach and GM a racist then. The facts support that Lin was wrongfully overlooked in high school and college. Why is it so hard to believe his own coach can doubt his abilities because of his race when every coach in high school and college did it, including his own Harvard assistant coach? Why is that so hard to believe when even after Linsanity, the media called him a career back up?

If you average 18 and 8 your first year as a starter, you've earned your starting spot and it's yours to lose. And by yours to lose, that doesn't mean you should sit out the final 15 minutes or get pulled as soon you go on a little cold streak. Especially for Beverley, who's been with the team for a few weeks. If it was for Dragic or Lowry, that'd be a different story...

16. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

well Lin situation has turned out a hundred times better than what tim tebow is going through.

17. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

How is there no proof when the facts support he was wrongfully overlooked in high school and college, and even after Linsanity, the media called him a career back up, including well respected coach in Larry Brown?

Do you play ball? You've never doubted an Asian on the court? Hell, I have.

18. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

^ and the "racist" tags were not added by me.

19. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

In retrospect and with the anecdotes of various sources it's fair to say that Lin was overlooked in his high school and college careers because of his race. And I've chronicled some evidence of him being treated unfairly in the NBA as well in which his race likely had a part to play.

But McHale or the Rockets' coaching staff? There's no evidence, it's just a false accusation. Morey gave him a $25M contract as well.

The only 'evidence' is that McHale appears to possess very little faith in him at all which is unusual, as I said, but I doubt it's race related. Again, where's your evidence?

20. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

My bad, I thought you were talking about high school and college.

I wasn't accusing McHale of anything, I just brought up the topic that it's not irrational to think it could be a possibility, given Lin's history.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.