1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA to test 44 minute game on 10/19 (BKN vs. BOS)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rockets34Legend, Oct 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>NBA announces BKN &amp; BOS will play a 44-min gm on Oct. 19 to examine flow of shorter game as compared to standard 48-min gm. (11 min qtrs)</p>&mdash; AdamWexlerCSN (@awexler) <a href="https://twitter.com/awexler/status/522059631297052673">October 14, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://www.nba.com/2014/news/10/14/.../index.html?cid=nbatvsocial_20141014_33626437

NEW YORK — The National Basketball Association announced today that it will play a 44-minute game during the 2014 NBA preseason when the Brooklyn Nets host the Boston Celtics at Barclays Center on Oct. 19 (3 p.m. ET, NBA TV). The league is utilizing the preseason contest to examine the flow of a shorter game as compared to the standard 48-minute game.

"At our recent coaches' meeting, we had a discussion about the length of our games, and it was suggested that we consider experimenting with a shorter format," said NBA President, Basketball Operations Rod Thorn. "After consulting with our Competition Committee, we agreed to allow the Nets and Celtics to play a 44-minute preseason game in order to give us some preliminary data that will help us to further analyze game-time lengths."

Application of the experimental 44-minute game will involve quarters being reduced from their typical 12 minutes each to 11 and a reduction in mandatory timeouts in the second and fourth quarters. During this 44-minute game, each quarter will feature two mandatory timeouts per quarter, with the first triggered at the first dead ball under 6:59 of the period if neither team has taken a timeout prior, and the second mandatory timeout will be triggered by the first dead ball under 2:59 if neither team has taken a timeout subsequent to the first mandatory timeout. In the NBA's 48-minute game, the second and fourth quarters have three mandatory timeouts.

"When this idea came up at the coaches' meeting, I thought it was a unique experiment that was worth participating in," said Nets Head Coach Lionel Hollins. "I'm looking forward to gauging its impact on the flow of the game. Since there is a shorter clock, it affects playing time, so it'll be interesting to see how it plays into substitution patterns."

"I appreciate the NBA's long history of forward thinking and willingness to try new ideas," said Celtics Head Coach Brad Stevens. "We told the NBA that we'd be happy to participate in this trial during a preseason game. I look forward to experiencing it and continuing the dialogue after October 19."

2. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

Game length isn't a huge issue for me, it's the season that is too long.

Instead why not cut down the season by 1/12th, if they intend to pursue this idea, essentially a 75-76 game schedule.

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Why don't they just make it 10-minute quarters?

4. baubo

baubo Member

Ticket sales and TV scheduling? Cutting down number of games seems difficult for the owners to agree upon.

If this goes through, stars will become even more important since their minutes will impact the game more.

5. edwardc

edwardc Member

Bad move NBA leave things the way they are.

6. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

I think eventually we will see this plus 74-78 games instead of 82.

7. conquistador#11

want more flow, commissar ? decrease the shot clock to 20 seconds and a player can't dribble the ball for more than 8 seconds on the perimeter.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

try testing a 70 game season instead

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

lol it's just a one game experiment. i'm all for them trying out random stuff in the preseason.

10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Reduce the forced TV timeouts. I know that's what brings the $$$ but it also takes away from the excitement.

11. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

^^This^^

12. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

No joke. Those weekday Portland 9:30 pm start time playoff games were killer. That extra timeout time TNT and ESPN take are brutal to the finish time

13. GotGame15

GotGame15 Member

Reduce the number of timeouts available at the end of the game within the last 2 mins.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

This. Just reduce the number of timeouts in general. One per quarter.

15. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

If they do this, I think they will increase the number of games. More games = more money.

16. zyt

zyt Member

shorter games, longer commercials

17. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Don't change the NBA, I like it the way it is. If they want to change something then change the rules how they were in the 90's, back when it was so much competitive.

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Why change the fundamental foundations of the game that have been in place for decades (quarter length, 1 vs. 2 free throws, etc.), and go with the much more obvious solution of minimizing timeouts, halftime length, and maybe reduce the season about 15 games?

19. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

They should have an experiment where they use good refs.

20. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I'd prefer 82 games of 48 minutes. If anything, I'd like more games.