1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

VERY COOL: Ali to throw out first pitch at All-Star Game

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by codell, Jul 7, 2004.

1. codell

codell Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/2667581

By DAVID BARRON
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

Nearly four decades after he filled the Astrodome for a pair of championship fights, then relinquished his title by placing principles ahead of profession, Muhammad Ali will return to Houston next Tuesday to throw out the first pitch for the All-Star Game at Minute Maid Park.

Ali's selection was disclosed today by Ed Goren, the president of Fox Sports, which will broadcast the game Tuesday night.

"It should be one of the most historic moments fans will ever see at an All-Star Game," Goren said.

This will not be the first time Ali has participated in the opening ceremony of a major sports event, having lit the Olympic flame to open the 1996 Games in Atlanta. But his selection for the honorary first pitch by Major League Baseball will provide a historic footnote for the 75th All-Star Game, played in a city deeply intertwined with Ali's remarkable past.

Ali fought four times in Houston, defeating Cleveland Williams in 1966, Ernie Terrell in 1971 and Jimmy Ellis and Buster Mathis in separate 1971 fights. His brief relationship with Houston, however, is best remembered for what happened in the midst of those four fights.

On April 28, 1967, Ali refused induction into the military at the old U.S. Armed Forces Examining and Entrance Station on San Jacinto Street in downtown Houston. Asked to explain his decision, Ali wrote, "I refuse to be inducted into the armed forces of the United States because I claim to be exempt as a minister of the religion of Islam."

He was indicted 10 days later by a federal grand jury and convicted, on June 20, 1967, by a federal court jury in Houston of violating the Universal Military Training and Service Act. He was sentenced to five years in prison and fined $10,000.

Although he never went to prison while the case was being appealed, Ali's boxing career came to a halt for more than three years. He was stripped of his titles, and no state in the union would grant him a boxing license until 1970.

Finally, the Supreme Court ruled in his favor in 1971, overturning the conviction, and he returned to the ring for a series of memorable fights against Joe Frazier and two more stints as world champion. He retired from the ring in 1981.

Ali, who suffers from Parkinsons syndrome, has returned to the city over the years, including a 1997 appearance benefiting the Houston Area Parkinson Society. The All-Star Game, however, will give Houston fans a chance to cheer him in the same manner they did almost 40 years ago at the old Dome.

2. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Yes Sir, when you think of Houston and you think of baseball, you think of Muhammad Ali.

3. codell

Did you even read the article???

And more often than not, people that throw out the first pitch have NOTHING to do with baseball anyway.

4. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

yep, when i went to the Angels game a few weeks back it was Conoco night. Some Conoco employee threw out the first pitch, and then i got to hear the worst rendition of the national anthem i've seen sung live by a Conoco employee.

It'll be cool to see Ali throw out the first pitch. Great choice!

5. Furious Jam

Of course I know that, but this isn't your average 1st pitch.

6. codell

Exactly. This happens, what, once every 20 years or so???

Get someone to throw out the first pitch who is legendary ......someone who everyone will always remember.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

I'll ask the obvious question nobody wants to ask, can he do it?

8. codell

I don't think so.

I don't think it will matter either. :)

9. Furious Jam

I guarantee you that 5 years from now:
    Nobody will remember who threw out the first pitch.
    Nobody will remember who was the MVP.
    Nobody will remember the score.
    Nobody will remember who won.

The All-Star game is almost irrelevant except that, for a few days, it'll make Houston the center of attention in the sports world. That attention is very important because we can use it to sell the city to the world and thus enhance its development in the long-run. So while we have that attention, we'd like to put forth our best image at all times possible.

With all that in mind, you have to admit that Ali does not represent Houston. Bush Sr. represents Houston. Nolan Ryan represents Houston. Yao Ming represents Houston. Even John Glenn would represent Houston more than Ali.

But the fact is that Ali was probably picked by Fox as a novelty designed to draw a few more viewers for a few more minutes to sell a few more commercials, because Fox is in the business of promoting itself and not Houston. And that is why I am unimpressed with the addition of Ali to the All-Star festivities.

10. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

I will certainly remember Ali throwing the first pitch, I've never met him or seen him in real life so it would be interesting IMO

11. codell

1) Pretty arrogant of you to assume that "nobody" will remember. I for one, will remember.

2) If you "nobody" will remember, and I assume that includes yourself, then why do you care??

12. HoneyNut Ichiro

HoneyNut Ichiro Contributing Member

I can already see Don King promoting the pitch as the "Showdown in H-Town."

13. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Mrs Lima was robbed, she was the perfect choice :p

14. drapg

drapg Member

Real baseball fans will remember who threw the first pitch, who won, who was the MVP and what the score was.

Awesome choice in Ali!

15. codell

You mean, "they" were robbed. As in Mrs. Lima and her ....................

:)

16. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

FYI, Muhammad Ali is the most recognizable sports figure in the entire world:rolleyes:

17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Getting someone with Parkinson's Disease to throw out the first pitch seems kind of cruel to me.

18. codell

I think it will be an inspiration to many people, rather than cruel.

19. Furious Jam

Richard Justice agrees with me. Also, the Chronicle poll favors Ryan over Ali by almost 5 to 1, so the vast majority of people who read newspapers seem to agree with me too. But what do I know?

Nolan Ryan should throw out first pitch
    By RICHARD JUSTICE
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

Question: I'm curious as to why MLB and Fox Sports would select Muhammad Ali to throw out the first pitch at the All Star game next week. He has no significance to baseball and very little to the city of Houston, so why on earth would they select him? They could have chosen Nolan Ryan, Mike Scott, J.R. Richards, even Hall of Fame Bradcaster Milo Hamilton or any of the other many great symbols of baseball in Houston. Does MLB care so little about the fans in Houston that they would ignore Houston's baseball history?
    Cliff in Brenham

Answer: Hey, it's television. Even worse, it's Fox television. Have you seen any of their primetime programming? Fox sees Muhammad Ali providing one of those Not-a-Dry-Eye-in-the-House moments. Problem is, we're already had THAT moment at the Atlantic Olympics.

Nolan Ryan should have been the first, second and third choices. No one else should have been on the radar screen.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/2541511

20. Furious Jam

Can anyone remember who threw the opening pitch at the All-Star game 5 years ago? Without looking it up? In fact, can anyone even look that up?
    You'll probably remember it because (A) we're arguing about it and (B) it'll be in Houston. But the vast, vast majority of people who watch the game won't remember.

And I care because (A) like I said, I don't think it benefits Houston or reflects the game in any way, making it just a waste of time at best and a publicity gimmick by Fox at worst, and (B) I personally don't like Ali for reasons that are obvious to anyone with a knowledge of history.