1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014-2015 NFL Preseason Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by UtilityPlayer, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Don't worry, battlefight

2. Raven

Raven Member

Every week he players well, his asking price goes up.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Mallett playing well?

I haven't watched so I can't tell you myself but from reports, nothing spectacular or great and the Patriots may only keep 2 QBs. Mallett would be the odd man out.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

How 'bout those 'niners? Skunked in their new fancy house.

They look *awful*. I've been predicting a bad year, as the team finally gets completely sick of Jim Harbaugh, but we'll have to see.

5. Remii

Remii Member

I wouldn't be surprised if they missed the playoffs this year... But Jim Harbaugh is going to have to show his "offensive genius" play calling because they took a big hit on the defensive side of the ball.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I didn't see the game but damn, Mark Schlereth said Manziel looked awful.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I saw the 1st half and both Hoyer and Manziel were trash. They obviously have to go with Hoyer because Johnny Football definitely isn't ready yet. Any notion he would be a "quick study" and could start game 1 should be officially put to rest.

They should throw Hoyer to the wolves and hope Manziel can take over after a few games or however long it takes. The Browns offense with Josh Gordon playing looked terrible. I can only imagine how bad it will be the first 8 games or all of next season without him.

RG3 looked sharp but he won't last the season. Still doesn't know how to properly slide. Kirk Cousins will then be exposed for what he is. Eagles should win the division in a cakewalk.

8. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

The biggest take away is how Washington completely got into his head. Really speaks to how weak-minded Johnny Doucheball is that he let a 4-12 team goad him into losing his cool...during a meaningless preseason game.

9. Remii

Remii Member

Switching quarterbacks like that may have killed their rhythm. Maybe not a great excuse but with both quarterbacks not looking good...??? I'm not high on Shanahan Jr either. But I agree _ Hoyer should start the season off.

I'm not sure the Eagles can win that division in a cakewalk... Remains to be seen how good Foles and McCoy will be without D-Jax taking the roof off opposing defenses and Philly's defense may still be bad. I think Washington will win that division rather RG3 stays on the field or not. That defense is much better and they should still have a good running game.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

When you consider Shanahan is the o-coordinator, Browns offense is doomed. LOL!

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

JFF looked pretty crappy against a real first team defense. He wasn't even terribly flustered by the pash rush, he just seemed to miss some very simple passes. He did have about 3-4 passes dropped though.

12. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

He lost his cool? You talking about the middle finger thing? I thought that was just Johnny being Johnny. He's played in much more hostile situations, don't think hes weak minded at all.

I would say the way he played last night is what you would expect from a lot of rookie QBs

13. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Connor Shaw looked good. Reunite him with JD Clowney?

14. solid

solid Contributing Member

I was very impressed with him. Yes, it was garbage time against the third stringers but he threw with confidence and accuracy. JF looked like a round peg in a square hole. I don't understand why the OC wouldn't draw up something to play to his strengths.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I use my finger all of the time on the road and I'm still a better driver than everyone else. Nothing to see here.

16. Remii

Remii Member

This... Lol.
    Shanahan Jr is going to get Johnny killed running the read option. I don't think Johnny did that much in college if at all.

The sad part about it is the Cleveland defense may be close to being dominant and it may end up being wasted if the offense doesn't get it together.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Nah... Johnny just took off and scrambled whenever he wanted in college.

That probably won't work in the NFL either.

I do agree that Kyle Shanahan has't really proven much on his own, other than the ability to learn Kubiak's and his dad's offenses.... and probably should stop getting these OC jobs handed to him. I always thought his stint with the Texans was overrated (he really was a figure-head OC at first, and only called the plays for one season... and Kubiak still had veto powers on the script and those plays).

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Which are what, exactly? Taking off and running? Chucking the ball up in the air on the run? Doing spin moves to avoid sacks?

You could have Bill Walsh as his OC, and he probably wouldn't be taking advantage of any of those "strengths".

19. SirLK26

SirLK26 Member

I'm not optimistic enough to predict winning the division, but no one should be surprised if Washington does it. I know a lot of people would be, but the Redskins are extremely talented. RG is an elite athlete and a good QB, Jordan Reed is going to be an absolute monster at TE if he stays healthy, Trent Williams is a beast at left tackle, Garçon is a 100+ catch 1300 yard receiver, DeSean Jackson is one of the league's better deep threats, 3rd receiver Andre Roberts is a legit #2, Alfred Morris is a heckuva back, and that's just on offense. This team is solid.

At the same time, we are the Redskins. How long has it been since we've been consistently relevant? So I'll hold off the optimism until wins start happening.

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

Eagles look like the class of the NFC East.