1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will The Thunder Extend Reggie Jackson?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by zeeshan2, Aug 21, 2014.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

NewsOK.com reports that the Thunder are "unlikely" to reach a deal with point guard Reggie Jackson on an extension before the October 31st deadline.

The Thunder would prefer to lock up Jackson this offseason, but that's not likely. It's possible that Jackson plays for a contract in each of the next two seasons in Oklahoma City, which generally motivates a guy rather well, although if Jackson already wasn't given his full focus and energy, Presti misread that DNA.

via OKC Thunder: Keeping Reggie Jackson is a priority, but it won't be easy | News OK.

Jackson averaged 13.1 points per game last season for the Thunder along with 3.9 rebounds and 4.1 assists. He was vital in filling in for Russell Westbrook when he was injured and his ability to stretch the floor (34 percent from 3-point land last season) eventually convinced coach Scott Brooks to put him next to Westbrook at two-guard.

But that move also was more out of a lack of better options than anything. The Thunder need a legitimate two-guard to spread the floor and help out defensively; free-agent signee Anthony Morrow is unlikely to be that guy as he's traditionally been a bench shooter.

Jackson honestly might have more value on the trade market, which might provide the Thunder an opportunity to bring in some quality depth along with a viable two-guard. Jackson's proven he can be a legitimate starting point guard, and if a team believes in his long-term development, they might be willing to give up short-term assets for him.

The Thunder have been exceptionally patient with their approach to team-building, but looking to extend Jackson long-term, at a position they already have a top-ten player at, might be too far. The Thunder have some time, though. Jackson's set to be a restricted free agent next summer, at which point if the Thunder need to, they can match any offer for him, or hope that threat drowns the offers for him, as it has with Eric Bledsoe and the Suns.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24671266/report-extension-deal-unlikely-for-thunders-reggie-jackson

Will they do Jackson like they did Harden?

2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

The salary cap will increase by a good margin in two years. If you can secure him on a nice $5-7mill/yr deal, i'd do it.

3. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

If the Thunder got him to sign for $6m a year, that would be a massive steal. He could probably get 4 years/$35m AT LEAST on the open market right now.

#3 Fyreball, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  4. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I don't think they will

I think he'll get at least 8, maybe more if someone wants to steal him from OKC

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He's shooting for a lot more than just $20-$30 million over 4-5 years and I don't blame him. He may as well up his value during the season and hit the jackpot next summer.

From OKC's standpoint, no reason to extend him unless it's cheap. Their window with KD/WB is 2 years.

It wouldn't surprise me if he got a big offer next summer and Presti didn't match.

6. da_juice

da_juice Member

I'd say the Thunder have more than 2 years. WB and KD are still young. Although if they continually let talent walk away (Harden, Martin, possibly Jackson)- they won't build a dynasty.

7. T-macsterful1

T-macsterful1 Member

I think that`s what he means. KD`s contract is up in 2 more seasons.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Let's save the dynasty talk until they win their first championship. If they don't in the next 2 years, KD & WB are outta there and the Thunder will sink into oblivion.

9. OKCRocket

OKCRocket Member

Reggie will test out RFA next year. He'll get a big deal that the Thunder won't match

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Also comes the issue of if he wants to be a starter and play a bigger role, which most young players do.

11. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

They won't for sure.

Someone will definitely overpay him even though he is in a loaded position.

He'll find SOMEONE to pay him 10 mill/yr just to spite OKC, just the same as Cubans did to Parsons.

12. Sanity2disChaos

I mentioned Jackson as a possible upgrade at the 1 spot for the rockets and think he has star potential...just as much as Bledsoe at this moment.

13. NotChandlerParsons

I'd say he's probably a bit out of our price range, doesn't hit threes quite as good as Bledsoe and can't credibly guard 2s despite being taller and longer. He is a good player but I'm worried he falls into the "overqualified backup/underqualified starter" zone that some PGs seem to.

14. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Err, did you read his post? He said they never will be able to be a dynasty because they keep letting players walk. He didn't say they were a dynasty now, but had a chance to become one (if they kept their core together (Harden) )

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Err, yes, I read his post. Any sort of dynasty talk about a team that has been to the Finals only once (two years ago and lost) is silly. They aren't even favored to make the Finals the coming season.

Even if Harden stayed, they wouldn't have a chance at a dynasty with coach Bonehead. He's more suited to steering a tricycle instead of high-performance car.

16. Asian Sensation

Very good player. He's better than 1/3rd of the starting PG's in the league. I'd love to have him at around 8M per. He seems to be a Rocket killer as well.

17. solid

solid Contributing Member

Will take if available, likely expensive though. Might be worth it. He is clearly starter material.

18. VBG

VBG Member

Not 100% sure about him. He's only effective with the ball in his hands and it limits your ceiling if he has the ball in his hands too much.

I think he's a great 6th man. Not to sure about him leading a team though

19. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I wouldn't love that. We don't have room for more 8M average players,

If we added that to what we already have committed to the 2015-16 season, we would be a couple million under the cap before resigning Beverley.

20. MadMirror

MadMirror Member

Tough to price. Doesn't really do anything well in particular, but can look good in spurts. His best role would probably to be an energy guy off the bench. Any team that signs him to be a starter is likely to be disappointed.

I would be more bullish on him if he had shown more improvement last year. The jump in 3PT% is nice and looks sustainable, but it didn't result in improved scoring efficiency for Jackson, which was already a little below average.