1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Bipartisan Issue] The average American woman now weighs as much as the average 1960s man

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Jul 5, 2016.

1. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Only read the first 2 pages, but there is no science in any of that. Just really bad correlation. Food consumption has been on the rise since the beginning of time, not just the start of the obesity epidemic.

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I agree with most of what you're saying, but at this point, I think you're being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative. Sugar might be the prime suspect by for obesity, but its not the only one.

Take for example the tipping thread. People are arguing over whether or not the pizza guy should be tipped. There is so much wrong with that picture.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Did you just stop reading at the meat consumption table :grin:? I mean how much science do you need? Diet really isn't that complicated like you stated earlier. Yes I understand that certain types of foods are easier to digest resulting in a higher net calorie intake.

Anyhow, dairy was the only food group to decline from those tables. American alcohol consumption has been relatively flat over the past 5+ decades (not included in that data). We eat more food of all types as shown by that link. Simple sugars don't account for all the food consumption increases.

4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I detest calorie counting and when ever i hear someone who has no clue how the body works tell me '1st law of thermodynamics' or 'calorie in/calorie out' I want to cringe. A person does not have full control of their caloric consumption and calculating it is near impossible. Also, I don't think me asking everyone else 'what in meat causes an increase in fat accumulation' is being argumentative. It's totally reasonable and I still have yet to get an answer.

HEre is an article by Gary Taubes on the studies done correlating exercise and fat loss: http://nymag.com/news/sports/38001/ . There is very little correlation, the issue is still merky.

It's an extremely contentious issue among even learned professionals.

#24 tallanvor, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Part of the allure of foreign travel is the lower fatty to hot ratio.

My 2 cents is that sugar isn't the root problem but rather refined and processed starches, proteins and fats. Messes up metabolism despite ticking off arbitrary checklists on the macro level. Checklists could still work individually on the short term, so harder to pin down on a repeatable basis which only feeds mass frustration and skepticism.

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

tallanvor, it's all going to be okay. You keep eating your meat -- we don't mind, seriously!

PS: I eat lots of meat and weight 165. Personally avoid sugar & plates full o' carbs (pasta, rice, and spuds, love them though I do). Am persuaded by studies showing different types of metabolism. But to each his/her own of course.

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Fat is a problem, but remember that 40% of people with "fat" diseases are not officially fat.

8. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

It's sugar in however many forms it comes in that's doing it. Go research sugar consumption.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Water is a problem. Especially the artificial kind. Too much water and you start leaking it out.

10. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

? There's no such thing as artificial water. Either a liquid is water or it's not. It's all sugar and the many names and forms it comes in that is the problem. That includes 100% juice that is pasteurized and contains no fiber.

11. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

-Access to nutrition has led to bigger people in general (a "healthy" person in 2016 is STILL bigger than a "healthy" person in 1909)
    -Hormones in food are causing larger kids/people
    -Sugar and High Fructose corn syrup invading our food
    -EASY access to food: in 1909, even if you were wealthy, food still took longer to prepare and it had to get to you
    -large amount of the workforce works in sedentary jobs vs. labor intensive jobs
    -larger athletes due to training and "healthy" caloric intake
    -easier transportation: jump in a care, bus, or train to go anywhere...don't have to walk as much
    -positive feminist adjustments to the workforce: two parent households that will purchase premade food, less stay at home moms cooking at home: fresh, home cooked meals tend to be "healthier" when it comes to sugar content, etc. (even if they used a lot of bacon!)
    -refrigeration and freezer technology: store more food in your home so tend to make more at meals
    -the cultural leanings of the "American bounty": "Look at all this food on the table"
    -Food is cheaper/easier to access