1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Teddy Bridgewater

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Old Man Rock, Feb 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Or, that some guys in the NFL shouldn't be decision makers....lol

2. MrVengeance

MrVengeance Member

See that's the thing when you say he didn't impress people in interviews. That's what media is saying by talking to their "sources". They are more often tend to be very wrong and teams generally don't leak out information but only info that they want to leak out BC they want to devalue a player so they can pick him up. I don't take anything from media as a legit info.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough, but it is still an example of negative press if nothing else. Also, I don't really buy the cloak and dagger BS because if the opinion of him was anywhere near what his fans think of him, they wouldn't be trying to devalue him in hopes to pick him up in the 2nd round or whatever. They could have said whatever they wanted about Andrew Luck and the Colts were still drafting him.....of course he didn't bomb everything on the way to the draft though so I guess there could be some opportunism taking place. Since Teddy failed at everything, maybe they are hoping he'd drop, but that's quite a reach IMO.

4. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

1. Media hypes player months before NFL/college seasons even end
    2. Fans latch onto said player
    3. Season ends, teams begin scouting and forming opinions of players.
    4. Previously mentioned player falls hard as teams analyze tape, find faults with his hand size, deep ball, and build. Consequently he falls in mock drafts.
    5. Fans still buying several month old media line accuse media of evil ratings conspiracy

Usually 2 doesn't happen outside of college/hometown homerism so when someone inevitably falls as hard analysis begins fans just say "ok" and move on. For some reason it did happen with Bridgewater and he now has a large delusional death cult refusing to acknowledge any flaws in him as a prospect.

I suspect at least some part of it is his Cindarella type story combined with a strong desire for a black pocket passing quarterback whose primary draw is his football IQ/decision making and not athleticism. Someone who should be compared to Peyton/Rodgers/Luck and not Vick/RG3.

I doubt he's going to fall that far as someone likely has him as the #1 QB on their board, but there is near zero chance of him going 1st overall.

5. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

This is stupid and not the case for most following Bridgewater on this board. I doubt anyone here wants TB simply for some preconcieved cinderella story. Like many on here, I knew almost nothing about TB until the Texans sucked so bad that it looked like they had a chance to get a QB. My first thought was Manziel but after watching a lot of film it became clear Bridgewater was the best college QB.

No delusions, he is not einstein and doesn't have Jamarcus Russells arm but what he does do is execute very well on the field with what he has. It may not matter to you but it matters to most what a player does on the field and it matters to me. That's why I watch everything and watch it as often as I can multiple times. And I only listen to critics who do as much.

Bridgewater is the smartest QB on the field. He has great feet, is excellent going through his progressions. Has the knowledge right now to run a pro offense and has shown he is a quick read. That matters more than some stupid test. And that's coming from someone who doesn't give a **** about his story. At least in terms of drafting him.

Yeah I can root for him but if he doesn't have it I wish him well somewhere else. Plus if I was rooting for someone it would be Case keenum without a doubt. I still root for him but he doesn't have it which is why I want a QB. You can argue Bridgewater is not worth the first overall pick and I won't argue cause I am still on the fence myself but if you are going to argue that at least watch all the film and don't come from some place of distaste because you are not a fan.

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Bingo.

This is exactly what has happened. To add to it, there are also two psychological factors at play.

1) First impression biases tend to be much more difficult to remove (even with significant facts to the contrary presented), and the early media hype created this bias in many posters here.

2) Emotional investment. When you're on record as pumping a player for as long as some of the guys around here have, they've become emotionally invested and will defend themselves out of "consistency bias". They don't want to look like flip floppers.

these two factors explain why you see the Teddy pumpers resort to saying subjective things like "the kid just has the it factor" or "he's has the highest FOOTBALL IQ"....things that certainly cannot be proven. Which is all they can resort to at this point.

7. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

This

Saw Westbricks first sentence and the bullsh!t meter nearly broke

8. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I want Bridgewater. I can list all the reasons, but I'm pretty sure it's been listed here in this thread already.

9. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I hope TB falls, would be great for us.

10. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I also want to say that I am hoping that someone no lower than 7 wants to trade up for Clowney..Grab a bunch of extra picks AND still get Bridgewater....Or Manziel...

My first Choice is TB, but I will be cool with Manziel.

11. bigtexxx

his weak pro day, slight frame, smallish hands, poor wonderlic score, weak opponents, shaky NFL workouts

do not want

12. Old Man Rock

Your 2 points apply to you more than anyone else on this board. Especially your second. The thing most revealing is most of what you listed you dislike about him, his weak pro day, slight frame, smallish hands, poor wonderlic score, shaky NFL workouts, came after you voiced your hatred for him and before you saw much of TB on film/video. And nothing anyone has said or video anyone has posted for you to see has budged you one bit.

Others on here have progressively acknowledged TB's shortcomings and have either changed their opinion on drafting him first overall or dropped his stock to some degree. For example one of the things I had a problem with Teddy was his accuracy on long throws. It wasn't as bad as you and some others have tried to proclaim but it was an area of weakness for him.

I for one expected he would go to this training camp and come out more improved than ever. His pro day didn't show that. I also don't like the fact that he isn't as accurate without the glove. So that has caused me to drop him from a sure first pick to on the fence. But it doesn't drop him out because I watch film and his film still shows he does so many things great... better than any other QB. So while my opinion of him has dropped some I still think he is the best QB in the draft.

You on the other hand have not budged in your opinion. You Mr. Bigtexx are the one who has become emotionally invested and will defend yourself out of "consistency bias. The real question is where the bias come from. And the answer is if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it's probably a duck.

It's probably not even your fault . Someone probably raised you to believe people like Bridgewater are not smart enough to play QB. I get you've been stuck with this bias for a long time and you have become emotionally invested it, but it's not too late. Just realize whoever first said that to you was wrong. It came from a place of ignorance and you can change if you want to. The question is do you want to.

#2372 Old Man Rock, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    2 people like this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In all fairness, why would he budge on his position though? Everything that has come out points in the direction of the things he's been saying all along. There are a lot of things he's said that I disagreed with, strongly in fact, but I can't blame him for sticking to his position since it appears as though he was pretty close to being right all along.

The people who need to alter their positions the most radically are those who were touting him as the next great QB since there has been nothing to support that theory, in fact, he's not even seen as a first round pick by some now that the draft is getting closer. I initially said that Bridgewater was the best QB in this class, but I've had no choice but to come off of that position because the facts don't support that. Others should do the same.

14. Remii

Remii Member

I asked you yesterday _ ARE YOU TRAINED AND OR KNOW HOW TO WATCH FILM AND EVALUATE A PLAYER...?

15. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

Literally one of the dumbest posts I have seen from you.

16. Old Man Rock

The film Bobby. It's all about the film. It's the most important evidence that he is the best college QB coming out. It's the best evidence that he will succeed. The film don't lie. And it's the film that is damning to Carr, Bortles and to a lesser degree Manziel. I watched his pro day and it wasn't great but it wasn't terrible either. He completed 57 out of 65 and two were dropped. They say 90% is the line and he just fell under the line.

Gruden said he performed much better at his camp. As for smallish hands, they're bigger than Kaepernick and shaky NFL workouts that's just a lie. he only had one private workout and no one has said anything negative about it unless you count anonymous sources who say he has had multiple shaky workouts.

The bottom line is Big texx never liked TB even before he heard any of this or watched any film. He despised him as a QB in everyway before he watched almost any film. Go back to the first Bridgewater thread. The more film and serious indepth observations that were in favor there more his disdain for the man increased. And now he is jumping on the bandwagon for pro day workouts, biased wonderlic scores and mythical private workouts. It all points to his preconcieved bias.

All I say is the film don't lie and it's more important to me them some wonderlic score. If you judge him on that and come away less than satisfied so be it. That's your opinion and it's fair. Clearly Bridgewater is not perfect. I would rather he be a little bigger and taller and throw more accurately deep and have 11 inch hands and run a 4 flat 40.

I get that those things can be important to some but you can't throw out the film because he is lacking in some areas. But you can't throw out the film it's all part of everything and it's the biggest part and it's the part that Teddy excels the most. And IMO it's what matters the most and some other areas that support an ugly bias are not as relevant.

17. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

Hahahahahaha

Gotta love tex

1. Bridgewater only had one workout with a team
    2. How long will people run with the small hands stuff when it is patently untrue
    3. Wonderlic??? Are you really trying to hang on to this?????? Christian Ponder had a 35 on his test and he has yet to master reading progressions beyond the first read
    4. "Weak opponents" "Pro day"

This is starting to become hilarious

18. bigtexxx

Ok I've seen enough from you. When you have to resort to insults, you've lost any argument among adults. ...and that's precisely what you've done here. You stooped so low as to have to resort to the race card, because you cannot argue based on fact, logic and reason.

If you go back and read my posts, I've long stated that Bridgewater could be good, but not 1-1 pick worthy.

19. Remii

Remii Member

Again OMR... Are you trained at watching film...???

20. Old Man Rock

I am an old man who's watched a lot of football. That's my training. If you are not stupid you can watch film and watch footwork and see when pressure is coming and how a player reacts to it and the results of his reaction. If you are not an idiot you could do the same.

But the real point is what difference does it make. Go read some of the post and articles and watch some of the video of people who are trained. You can find ample info on here that shows exactly what I saw.

Of course you won't do that and you won't change. Because you struggle with Bigtexx's point 2. You are the one emotionally invested and will not change your position no matter what anyone else says trained or untrained.

My position has changed I am not as sure about Bridgewater as I was. I have some concerns about the glove and if I knew for sure Clowney would dedicated as he was good I might take him first. That wasn't true earlier. What have you changed? I mean even before all of this new news on TB you disliked him. Most of it is irrelevant. Notice I didn't say all. And it doesn't take away the film and that is still most important and other who have been trained have shown how impressive he is and you still ignore it. So what difference does it make what trained or untrained eyes say you will still hold onto your bias.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.