1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Game] Rocksmith 2014

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by seclusion, Oct 21, 2013.

1. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

http://rocksmith.ubi.com/rocksmith/en-US/setup/index.aspx

Clicky that and scroll down, it will have instructions to help you get rid of the audio lag. (I haven't looked at them in detail, so you may not want to do them)

I'm not sure on consoles; on steam you can right click a game in your library and see your play time.

Also if you register on their site for the 60 day challenge, Ubisoft will track stats for you. That will definitely show you hours going forward.

2. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Thanks mate. I wanted to avoid the whole UPlay thing but if that's where they track all the stats, guess I have to sign it up.

3. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

UPlay is whatever, I agree... (I have a few games on there already so it wasn't a huge ordeal). I've basically given up on avoiding signing up for these services. I didn't want Origin but had to for Titanfall. I know I'm asking a lot for everyone to just give up to their competition (Steam), but they need to freaking do this.

The original Rocksmith was available through Steam only, then when Rocksmith 2014 came out they decided to make Uplay mandatory even if you purchased through Steam. Blech.

#163 seclusion, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  4. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Not my cup of tea, but I imagine someone will be excited about this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PHjYA3XOx40" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Just hit 10 hours last night. My fingers only hurt a little now and I can play all the chords of knocking on heaven's door. Still can't switch between chords fast enough for full difficulty.

I find it necessary to play outside of the game once in a while. The game is very forgiving which encourages me to keep on going. At the same time when I try playing the same way on my amp I usually sound pretty bad, unintentionally muting some of the strings, making buzz sound and etc.

Also just bought the Muse songs. Can't wait to play them.

6. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I play Muse a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot. Not playing in Rocksmith is definitely integral. When you don't have the background track you can hear all the imperfections in your playing, it certainly will make you better/more accurate when you come back in.
    The way that I see it, Rocksmith is basically training wheels. You're so early in playing, you really shouldn't worry too much about accidental muting and what not. Because quite frankly, it's just going to happen. Eventually you'll get the hand placements / finger bending techniques down properly and you won't have that issue.

They just added songs from Garbage! I'm very excited about it. I'm only happy when it rains, ya know?

7. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Lots of free music/learning tools available on the amazon appstore today.

I downloaded: Ultimate Guitar Tabs (3.99?), Guitar Riff Pro (2.00?), iReal Pro ($10.99 -- this is some kind of really nice chord book) and a couple other freebies like TuneIn Radio Pro for free. Definitely good to supplement rocksmithing with other stuff.

As a side note, Rocksmith added some 90s music. I've always liked the spin doctor's song, but I don't think I'll pay for it.
    You'd think if they were going to pick Everclear they would have picked one of their less emo songs. Ah well!

I always thought that Tomorrow (Silver Chair) song was Pearl Jam (I hate Pearl Jam, haha -- not that I'm into Silver Chair either).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PFHAhnbikZM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

That's cool that your supplementing your Rocksmith learning with tabs, etc.

9. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Yeah, I am almost done with an Introduction to Guitar course on Coursera.org from Berkley College of Music. It's really useful, eventually I'd like to be able to play in a ****ty band. So I definitely want to understand some of the theory.

I do not get tired of playing Rocksmith though. It's amazing. I'm going to start playing with the tone studio; eventually I'd like to utilize effects well. I have a multieffects pedal, but haven't messed around with it much yet.
    97 hours and there's still about 3 or 4 areas of the game I haven't even touched.

10. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Rocksmith is $30 on 360 (via XBL) right now.

11. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Side note: I'm officially at 100 hours in Rocksmith 2014. (I ended up with 36 in the original)
    I'm really happy with myself. I'm not amazing by any means but I can play a lot of songs, and I can play quite a few quite well. I'm also getting to a point where I can play some solos that require complex fretting. It's a lot of fun and keeps me motivated, plus I just love music -- I can't see this growing old. Sometimes I'll sit down and play for a couple hours and not even notice the time has gone by, but I absolutely feel accomplished each time. Even if I'm having a bad day like today where I felt like I was having a lot of issues (it's been a few days, I was out of town), I still noticed progression. (even on a couple I play all the time)

#171 seclusion, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  12. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

They released a 311 pack recently (beautiful disaster / down / amber), ah the nostalgia. Lots of fun to play of course. I've started playing around with effects, and learning about what they do. The tone designer is a lot of fun. The fact that you get an authentic version of the setup / effects used for each of the dlc you pay for makes it an even better value. you can go back later and free style with that particular tone and see if you may want to emulate a real world set up with it.

13. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

So I'm at about 170 hours total or something like that. That's not including the time where I just pluck at chords or what not with my guitar, but that's not nearly as much time as I've put into Rocksmith at this point.

Simple songs are simple, complex songs are still complex...but I can definitely kill some songs. I still notice progression almost every time I pick up the guitar, and it still makes me happy just playing along with music I love.

Now...more importantly...I downloaded about 50 (maybe more) songs for free today. The PC version (xbox and ps3 versions allow this, but I think they have to be modded) allows for downloadable songs other than the ones you pay for due to some modders being amazing. All you do is place one dll file in the directory and voila, you can download custom songs.

At any rate, there is a ridiculous amount of free content you can get there and it keeps growing. The database is massive in a lovely way. If you like Artic Monkeys, Muse, Metallica, Led Zeppelin...anything like that you'll be very happy with what you find. (you have to register, but it's worth it)

customsforge.com

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mE0l5He5i_M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I found that if you already know how to play a certain song on guitar, it was hard to re-learn it on Rocksmith using their tutorials. In general, I enjoy the training games better than actually learning songs. Learning to read tabs is easier.

15. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Agree to disagree on that.

16. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Actually I agree to an extent. Some of the songs on there I already knew how to play, but trying to follow the interface and "earning" the full difficulty of the songs by playing them piecemeal was cumbersome enough that sometimes I would forget that if I just played the song right as I knew it everything was fine.

that said, I haven't even played the new one, and haven't played the old one in a good while.

17. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Wasn't referring to that; was referring to this:

It being an adjustment to what you're used to playing makes sense because it may very well differ. The game doesn't generally penalize you for playing it the "right way" even if the notes listed are different. For example fretting low E when you're using one of the X5 chords, it will still accept the chord because you played the low E.

I was primarily referring to tabs being easier. That's an opinion, and for me I'd have to disagree.

18. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

161 hours and rolling...

19. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I may be the only who cares about this, but whatever -- updates!
    I am absolutely buying the Killers pack the second I get home.

a) Rocksmith 2014 is coming out for Xbox One / PS4 on November 4th.
    b) The White Stripes added a song pack last week (Tracks below)
    c) They added a Killers pack today!
    d) My understanding is they're going to keep releasing awesomeness.

The White Stripes “Blue Orchid”
    The White Stripes “Fell In Love With A Girl”
    The White Stripes “Seven Nation Army”
    The White Stripes “The Hardest Button To Button”
    The White Stripes “You Don’t Know What Love Is (You Just Do What You’re Told)”

The Killers “Mr. Brightside”
    The Killers “Runaways”
    The Killers “Somebody Told Me”
    The Killers “Spaceman”
    The Killers “When You Were Young”

20. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I care. I've been too lazy to play/practice but I feel I make progress through your updates so keep it up. lol

How's it all going btw? You feel like you can really play now?