1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Adelman, Lowry on starting point guard position

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I know there are several AB vs. Lowry threads, so I'll merge this eventually if that makes more sense, but here are some video comments from Rick Adelman and Kyle Lowry on the starting point guard position and AB returning soon.

<a href="http://rockets.clutchfans.net/1057/houston-rockets-point-guards/">Will there be a quarterback controversy in Houston?</a>

1 person likes this.
  2. gatsby

gatsby Member

Thanks for the video, Clutch, but I really fail to see what Adelman is saying. He seems to simply dodge the question completely.

tm

3. AggieRocketsFan

He pretty much said he's going to use them in the same way he did last year.

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Agree -- Adelman took the "create a problem for you" part of the question literally. I do think though that his comments lean more towards Lowry going back to the bench role.

5. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

He'll probably put Lowry back on the bench for sure, but he sounds very undecided.

I guess it all depends on how the team plays once Brooks returns.

6. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

If Lowry can be consistent like Aaron is I can definitely see him starting PG on this team, Kyle had some great games in the past couple of week but my main concern is that he can't keep it up like other PG.

7. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

I felt that way to. It frustrating that he never has a strait forward answer for you. Well....this....well...that...But the thing that got me to think that Lowry is going back to the bench is Adelman talking about how well Lowry plays with Bud.

Looks like Brooks will be the starter when he returns.

8. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Nothing's changed from a year ago. They're both gonna play 30 minutes or so apiece and depending on matchups one or the other of them is going to get extra minutes in certain games.

The interesting part of the rotation is what is going to happen with the swingman minutes. There is 144 minutes at the 1-2-3 spots available. Once Brooks is healthy, you can bet both him and Lowry are getting 30 mpg and Martin is getting his 30. That leaves 54 minutes. Assuming Battier gets 30 of those. That leaves 24 minutes for somebody. I think Lee gets those minutes and Bud rides the pine. And Adelman will have the opportunity to top with his small quick lineups, getting Battier some run at the 4 in those situations. That small lineup seemed to be the lineup we excelled with the most last season.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

THANK YOU for having the hutzpah to ask that tough question.

Sounds like they will both play, and that it will be another PG by committee approach with AB starting, Kyle coming of the bench and the best matchup finishing the game, which a lot of times will mean both of them.

Good job Clutch, much appreciated.

BTW- the problem would not be Adelman's right away, the problem would be either Aaron or Kyles.....when one of them is put on the bench....

It will bare watching each of their attitudes.....Kyle got paid but is desperate to start and feels he has earned it, and AB is in a contract year and feels he deserves to start and has also earned it.

THAT is where the problem will be, not with the coach.....gonna have to watch and see, I guess.

And I guess once it became a problem with one of the players, THEN would be with the coach...lol

DD

#9 DaDakota, Dec 13, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  10. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

He seems to be taking a "why should players playing better be a problem for me" stance, which makes perfect sense.

My question is how well does AB have to play to keep his starting job/minutes once he returns?

My guess is that AB's slot is less his than we would have thought before the injury, and I think the reality is that all along it's really been about who's playing well and the chemistry and matchups, and that nothing was ever set in stone, even though AB had the job locked before judging by starts/minutes by all measurements.

Of course he dodged agreeing there might be *gasp* controversy, but I think the reality is that he was always going to give more minutes to whoever earned them... and that if he decided it was best for the team to change AB to KL for starting, or whoever, he is and was never afraid to do that.

If AB struggles any upon his return, I hope he can persevere with a good attitude, whatever happens.

11. Prince

Prince Member

i just don't like the way Kyle responds to his 'ultimate goal' to be a starter.

12. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

There is a difference between team goals and individual goals.

13. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

thnx clutch, but lowry definitely seems like he really doesnt like it. He says he will do w.e the team needs, but his tone says otherwise. hopefully these guys stay happy and just play to win.

14. Grimm920

Grimm920 Member

I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of players in this league say that they want to be a starter. Why shouldn't that be a goal for Lowry? :confused:

Coach played Skip over AB until AB showed that he performed better then him when they are both playing... Lowry just needs to maintain his level of performance and show that he is the man for the job.. I see no problem with competing for the top spot

15. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

How should an ambitious NBA player who plays hard all the time respond? Huh, my ultimate goal is to be a bench player.

16. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

It's okay man, don't be perplexed. Prince is probably Aaron Brooks in disguise.

17. opticon

opticon Member

One of the main reasons we had the 0-5 start was because Kyle was not at full strength.

Aaron and Kyle need each other to play at a high level.

I am curious to see what a lineup of Kyle , Aaron and Kevin look like on the floor together.

That lineup could help us when we go into one of the cant throw a ball in ocean phases.

18. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I agree, if Lowry can maintain 40% from behind the arc and 10 assists then he deserves to stay out there. The last couple of games have seen have seen him fall back down to earth and with a team with Battier and Hayes in the starting rotation can't afford poor shooting Lowry.

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

So basically Brooks is going to come back and start only to mess up what little defense the starters have developed? Tricky Ricky has to learn the hard way. :rolleyes:

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

What NBA player's goal when they come in the league is to be sixth man of the year???... of course its everyones goal. Competition breads results... like in any job structure. As long as there is no discontent.

If these two players are overachieving their role then thats when one of them can get moved out to achieve another player who fills another need on the team.

We as fans could only hope that he fulfills that dream because that means they make the team better one way or another.