1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA TV deal causes ESPN to layoff hundreds

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

2. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Wasn't it also reported recently that ESPN was losing subscribers on cable due to massive cord cutting? Disney is probably gearing up for life after cable and satellite TV.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Wow. Part of the plan is to stream NBA games. Question is will ESPN force you to have a cable subscription as they currently do

This shedsight on Ballmer rejected a $60m offer from TV to announce he wants to stream local games

Btw. OP. I'd say the title is wrong. Competition was tight so whoever. So they competition for the contract is making them trim employes and prepare for a new way of carrying games.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

The TV ads and TV subscriptions for ESPN are likely worth about 10 billion annually in total. Just for the NBA they pay 2.7 billion annually. So that is quite an investment over a 10 year period banking on the fact that cable will hold their market. And yet, I haven't watched a baseball game or nba game or football game on cable in like 5 years. If all other TV goes in the same direction, woop, there it goes. So what will ESPN be banking on?

5. malakas

malakas Member

they should start by laying off the nba analysts.

1 person likes this.
  6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Hopefully Chris Broussard, Chris McKendry, Paul Finebaum, Chris Carter, and Dan LeBetard are laid off.

Mazulis likes this.
  7. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

good for the consumer

they are the trendsetters when it comes to price hikes in the cable industry

its gonna be easier for the cable companies to negotiate prices which hopefully trickles down to us and lower cable tv pricing

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I doubt it until cable has to face the harsh and desperate realities like the newspaper industry.

9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

You will never see lower prices in cable ever again. Did newspapers lower subscription prices as they were dying around the country?

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

ESPN is the only thing holding back a mass tidal wave of people cutting their cable subscriptions and switching to the internet.

Live sports is incredibly valuable to advertisers. More than ever.

The day ESPN allows everyone in America to watch online without a cable subscription will go down in history.

1 person likes this.
  11. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

i actually like dan lebetard. the rest are terrible though

12. what

what Member

I'm not really sure that this is really the holdup. To really cut the cord with cable and dish, there are a lot of hardware considerations beyond getting a fire hd stick and going.

people that have ultra hd 4k aren't going to entrust their picture quality to a ****ty streaming service, and when you add up the cost of getting REALLY what you want, cordcutters aren't getting a better deal without making huge concessions about what they really want on their tv.

cable and dish STILL have a lot of value to the masses of people. Cordcutting wont really take off until the quality of the stream (re:google fiber) can match watch cable can deliver.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I enjoy watching cable on my 4k TV...at a resolution that's not 4k.

14. Fantasma Negro

Does the deal mean we get more basketball games and a fourth quarter red zone type of channel? That would be sweet

15. what

what Member

16. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I have sling, so even though I cut the cable, I still pay ESPN to watch their programming. I'm pumped about this because MLB streaming is WAYYYY better than League Pass. You can jump to innings when you watch the replay. You can start the replay right after the game is finished. That's way better than starting a game that ended at 11pm at 2am. Who takes 3 hours to compress video these days?

17. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

^ Regarding replay after the game:

It must be a policy as opposed to a tech limitation because Ballstreams has instantaneous archiving

18. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

If you notice, most of the local NBA carriers run the game again after the live airing. Which is probably the reason.

19. Kash

Kash Member

IMG_0394.JPG

20. marky :)

marky :) Member

Don't know if that was already discussed, but if everyone started cord cutting wouldn't the next step for companies like Comcast be to start charging internet based on data usage?