1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Draft Lottery

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jared Novak, May 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised that no one has posted any conspiracy theories regarding the rigging of the lottery.

That being said, I have to say that I am pretty disappointed that the Rockets do not have a first-round pick this year. Even if it was no. 13, there would still be an option to trade it.

I have this really bad feeling that the Rockets pick will end up in the top three. I hope it doesn't happen, and if it does hopefully the Rockets will find way to keep the pick.

2. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

What's up Novak? Didn't we meet at the lottery party? Anyways, in Vegas when playing roulette, I make sure to bet on the last winning number. I hope you are wrong but you never know.

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure it will be a first if the team with the fewest number combinations wins a top 3 pick. Anyone know what the highest seed team number is to win a top 3 pick?

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Actually, Orlando did it with the least number of choices in 1993 when they drafted Chris Webber number 1 and traded him for Penny Hardaway.

So to answer your question, Orlando is the highest seed or team with the fewest number of combinations to win a top three pick, and they got pick number 1.

5. oldman

oldman Contributing Member

DENVER will win the lottery. NO DOUBT. and Carmelo will be a raptor....i think

6. HtownRocks3

HtownRocks3 Member

I can't wait. LeBron is going to bomb out like no one has before. I'm going to love it. I heard someone say if he was entered into the draft last year, the Rockets would've selected him. But that is just total BS.

7. Bonomaniac

Bonomaniac Member

Is it really possible for Lebron to NOT be a bust of some sort?

8. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Regardless of who wins the lottery people there will always be people screaming "it was rigged"

9. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Who cares. With Adidas' $75M contract potentially in the bank I bet becoming a bust is the least on Lebron's mind.

10. Band Geek Mobster

I believe there's slightly less than 2.0% chance the team with the least amount of balls cracks the top 3.

11. timm

timm Member

I think less than 0.5%!!!

12. Asian Sensation

Not Adidas .... Reebok

13. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Rockets would have. He is more of a sure thing than Yao was last year.

14. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

You are going to love it to see a teenager or anyone else for that matter fail? What kind of sick, twisted attitude is that. It is one thing to 'think' LeBron will be a bust, it is another to hope he will be a bust.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Memphis has a pretty solid shot at getting the #1 pick, don't they?

16. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

Yeah it was at D&B. Pretty good conversation on what to do with the 15th pick. Hopefully Boki will get his cahnce this coming season. Believe me I hope I'm wrong too, but wouldn't it be just the luck for it to happen?

Orlando was the team with the lowest chance (the current slot that the Rockets have now) and won the 1993 NBA Draft Lottery. They then traded the rights to Chris Webber to GS for the rights to Anfernee Hardaway. You never know it could happen.

If Memphis does not get the #1 pick this year, they will forfeit the pick to Detroit, so they seem to be in the catbird seat there. Unfortunately for the Rockets, even if we get the #1 pick, the pick still goes to Memphis, unless the Rockets acquire another pick in the lottery and trade it to Memphis.

17. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i believe orlando won the lottery under a different format though. and there were only 11 teams in it at that time. i believe the worst team got 11 balls, 2nd worst 10, and so on until orlando got 1 ball. they had a 1/66 chance of winning and by some miracle did after having won it the year before. so they had a 1.515% chance of winning it all. not sure how to work it out for them winning top 3 b/c it's all affected by who wins and stuff (you don't just multiply by 3 obviously).

i'm pretty sure we have 5 of the 1001 combinations (1 is a dummy combo so only 1000 real ones) so i guess we have a .5% chance of winning. for 2nd and third it's something like .7 and .8%. since i don't think .7 or .8 are cumulative percentages of being anywhere in the top 3 but refer specifically to #3, i guess we have a .7+.8+.5=2% chance of being top 3 as BGM mentioned.

18. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

why not hope hes a bust? if hes a bust, hes going to be the richest bust bball player ever. will give a hint to espn and the rest of the media to stop exploiting these kids.

19. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

The deal is done. It is Memphis' pick. No matter where it ends up.

20. PhiSlammaJamma

NBA.com and ESPN are screwing with everyone's minds. They didn't even given us an asterisk. I feel bad for the people who don't know yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.