1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can we talk about the state of Houston Rap for goodness sake?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, Jul 3, 2014.

1. VanityHalfBlack

What is the state of Houston rap as we speak? Isn't rap usually about the people? About growing up in your community, a glimmer of hope? Some truth and justice? A song that you can get behind and support. Are they usually rapping about themselves, or giving us the middle finger because we're the middle class? Houston is a great city with lots to offer but if you're not going to include lower/middle class in your songs, what are you rapping for? Who is the demographic? Sure you have hot chicks with big asses in all of your videos but if I want something to be aroused I'd watch p*rn? Are these songs not to be taken seriously? Is it for clubbing, what?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/vo7ZnSC59mY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Is this supposed to be funny?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/JxLS-cpgbe0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Why can't songs go back to something like this? Something to follow, something about the struggle or against the system.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/O4o8TeqKhgY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tdub, I know you know lot about this scene, can you point me to the good ones? I think the last Houston based album I bought was z-ro, the first album.

2. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I don't know that much about the scene, but shouldn't a legitimate music style and genre as a whole be able to sing/write about -anything- rather than being restricted to a certain class of imagery? If you're expected to sing about something specific, where is the enlightenment? The artistry?

A different question might be, and honestly one that a close family member spent her doctorate and later career studying, what does the prevalence of certain types of imagery in music, and specifically hip hop or rap music, say about us as a society or at least those who buy it? From one "scene" or location to the next, and/or from one decade to the next?

And, oh yeah, clubbing.

And rip romp rippidy dooo.

3. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Comparing Riff Raff to Grandmaster Flash...I get it, you are just trying to make a point. I don't think he represents Houston rap though.

It has been a long time that any rap has meant anything, much less Houston rap. Some artists even break on to the scene saying they will rap about things that matter, yet still they find themselves rapping about "money hoes and rims again."

Htown rap was...GetoBoys and 8ball and MJG. What is it now? Pfth...dunno.

4. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

You can only rap about sizzurp and wood grain wheels for so long. Bun talks about the state of Houston rap in this interview (from late 2013).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/8b3aGnzI3eA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The first video you posted with RR, PW, ST is one of the better singles i've heard out of Houston in a while -- that's going to be big.

6. Salvy

Salvy Member

But we can always remember the good old days....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PHQE1JxZGMk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fQvXM84xMdo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

houston rap is loaded with materialistic references because hood *****s have more money here than other hoods *****s

8. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

5th ward boyz & Scarface was H*Town

9. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Riff Raff never has nor never will represent "Houston Rap"

The kind of rap you're talking about can be heard 24 hours a day at OptimoRadio.com.

10. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I ran into Yungstar at Food Town on Wilcrest a while back. I gave him 20 bucks and told him he was a childhood hero of mine.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-9h89vTQ550" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KutXyPEEbQs?list=RDKutXyPEEbQs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rrjb9cNg_ZM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DHyqs0PoBgE?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

Chamillionaire was the shiznit.

15. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'll pass on the house buying tutorial, mr. riff raff.

16. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Before Chamillionaire, Paul Wall and Slim Thug came to prominence, Houston was lacking respectable black ambassadors to the city. Previous artists like Bun B, DJ Screw and Scarface were often marginalized by the so called elites that ran this place. We have Quannel X, but he is a somewhat polarizing figure. So the only other major hero's Houston had were the likes of George Bush the elder, Michael Debakey, Dentin Cooley, Ken Lay, Fayez Sarofim and John Arnold more recently. I'm glad Riff Raff is really breaking out now to lead Houston to the next level. I heard some talk recently about him possibly receiving the key to this city. I think Drake can also be made an honorary Houstonian since he references this place so much in his music and how much it means to him.

17. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Dude you can't talk about Houston rap and then put Riff Raff as your example... He doesn't even get plays on Houston radio, he represents the LA scene more than anything.

18. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

19. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

I want another ABN album.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KutXyPEEbQs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>