1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey on 610 1/16

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MR. MEOWGI, Jan 17, 2008.

1. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I thought he had some interesting stuff to say yesterday. Didnt see a thread.

http://www.sportsradio610.com/pages/151256.php

• Sixers game low point of season.

• Sixers gives Yao trouble but no excuse.

• 4 quarter leads lack of confidence, need to defend pick and roll last year rockets worst in NBA in losing leads
    Rox miss Tmac

• TMac coming back will the lineup shake up

• Doesn't want Webber

• Landry playing great, weakness is defense and is what limits his minutes

• Should have played CHuck more against Sixers, hard to see what he brings. When he played is only time we were

• Without TMac needs another to attack basket. Should have played Brooks more (he has said this before...)

• Scola getting used to NBA refs, average defender

• Chuck 5th best defender in NBA at his position. Elite defender. He has to be or he is meaningless on court - besides rebounding.

• Coach will not shake up lineup. Stating group gets leads - problem is maintaining them.

• Brooks doing great, has some rookie moments, great skill set. Will see more and more as time goes on, one of few options that can attack basket.

• Head big contributor during 5 win stretch. Stating to attack basket.

-----------------------------------------------

Caller: Adleman reason for team struggle, misses JVG
    Morey: Team will pull it together - (dont forget about family pack day, four hotdogs... :rolleyes: )

---------------------------------------

• Have to win home games, good teams dont have games like Sixers game.

• Not a playoff team, not sugarcoating it. Grind coming up. Have to pass Portland, Blazers anti Rockets - have played weak schedule.

-------------------------------------------------

Caller: frustrated, Rockets playing weak, need to just man up, losing to Sixers inexcusable, no analyzing needed.

Morey: Thats how we felt too. Doesn't disagree

-------------------------------------------------

• Adleman and players still getting used to each other and rotations. Need to keep a core together for chemistry.

• Half way through season, thought they had turned corner but found out they are still caught in mire on inconsistency. Rockets need to be consistent and not give up leads

-----------------------------------------------------------

Caller: Has rules changes and zone defense affected Yao's game, triple teams? When does Rick go with hot hand. Yao hurts us in 4th quarter.

Morey: all rule changes in past few years have hurt big players and Yao. Easy to double big players, guards nearly impossible to stop reason why Brooks has big future and why lack of size wont hurt him as much as players in the past.

League recognizes it met with senior leadership of NBA to discuss, the recognize that its a problem. Thinks changes over time coming that will help, but not immediately. Big men hare a big part of the game and Rockets history.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Thanks for the recap. What I noticed:

1. Morey HEARTS Chuck Hayes. No doubt about it.

2. Is there a disagreement between Morey and Adelman about the rotation? He seems to be second-guessing minutes distribution a lot in public. I agree with him on Chuck, but am not so sure you should talk about such things on the radio rather than keeping it behind closed doors.

3. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Thanks for the recap!

4. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Appreciate the recap. Gracias

5. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Sounds like Adelman and Morey went to Stern about how Yao is officiated when they were in New York.

Obviously didn't help after seeing the last two games, but at least they know we (the Rockets) are pissed about it ;)

Thanks for posting this, I had forgotten about him being on yesterday.

1. don't all great basketball minds ;)

2. I don't think he necessarily disagrees, because he kept saying.. in hind sight. Only fans like me were yelling "Freaking put Chuck back in the game to sustain the lead you idiot!!"

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Thanks for posting this. I was arriving at work the moment it started, and since I have to hurry and LOG IN at work, I missed it; but I kept wondering, Certainly someone heard this and will post a recap?

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Huh, said Brooks should have played more and the team should have attacked the basket.

I think Morey understands the situation maybe even more than Adelman.

DD

8. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

So, what's the reason for it? Coach, players, or something else.

My bet is the characters of players. Go fix it Morey. Make some trades or find some FAs to fix the backcourt.

9. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I agree

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It's the lack of Tru Warier spirit. :)

Seriously, I think one issue that Van Gundy had last year was that, down the stretch, he often played Juwan Howard with Yao rather than Chuck with Yao. He probably was aiming for more of an offensive threat and was worried about the FT shooting (hack-a-Hayes, etc.)

I thought it was a mistake back then (judging by statisticall and other evidence) and still think so now. For all of Hayes' flaws, he was the guy that often help got us the lead. Why not keep him in there to sustain it?

This year, Adelman seems to get cold feet like Jeff did last year about playing Chuck down the stretch.

11. WNBA

WNBA Member

It is on you, Morey.

You should have traded away every coach's pet, Rafer Alston, before Adelman seeing him.

Now, Rafer is happily holding the PG position and all your imports are on the bench.

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I'm not sure if Adelman is just not comfortable playing Hayes too much in the fourth because teams will start intentionally putting him on the line to watch him clank FT's.

13. DaDakota

That is interesting, I do recall Chuck taking a crucial charge in the Utah series.

Chuck is a great intangibles and elite defender, but his inability to improve his offensive game is maddening.

How can he have so much confidence on one end and then be a complete waste of space on the other?

DD

14. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

What is that you're smoking son?

Chuck Hayes an Elite defender? Man this board overrates players by the dozen.

What is he the Pistons Ben Wallace now? Only in Houston can an undersized PF with no offensive game at all be this over valued.

15. daddy cool

daddy cool Member

Morey read this message board

16. Hayesfan

Did you listen to the interview?? Even Morey said it.

17. DaDakota

Hayes is not just a good defender he is AWESOME...how many slaps does he get every game...and players just can not back him down...well those outside of David West....

:D

DD

18. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

That's nice and all Hayesfan. I don't hate Chuck I like him but Hayes is not an elite defender in the NBA.

Morey is wearing blinders if he truly believes that.

19. Raven

Raven Member

Thanks for the excellent recap!

20. Hayesfan

Maybe Morey is wearing blinders, but then so was JVG, Adelman, Rudy T, and Stan Van Gundy

Do you honestly think they "hacked-a-chuck" in Orlando to take his offense off the court?

Watch more than the offensive side of the ball before you talk to me about who is or isn't an elite defender in the NBA.